• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Upgrading computer (Need to use for VMware Lab)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

syypher

Hi all! I have a great computer that's been running almost everything I've thrown at it for the past couple years at ultra/high settings. Recently I've been having to clock the graphics down a bit to medium/high which still isn't bad at all. I'm perfectly content with running everything medium or high. However, I'm trying to see if there are any upgrades ($500 total or under) that I can do to really bump up my computers power without causing any substantial bottle necks.

Not really looking to build a completely new computer. I'd really rather just upgrade this rig. Another big note is that I want to be able to fire up 4-5 Virtual Hosts/Machines with this computer for lab purposes using VMware. So I can learn the software for work.

The changes I'm going to currently do:
-Get a good air cooler to upgrade (212)
-OC the CPU to 4.0+ stable
-Upgrade to 32gb RAM
-Get a WD 2TB Black HDD (this will be for my 2ndary games, current SSD will be for OS and primary games, the current 1TB WD Blue I have will be strictly for VMs)

If there is anything that really stands out that may be bottle necking/ underwhelming my setup, please let me know. Or if there are any suggestions to replace/ upgrade that will substantially boost my overall computer's performance please suggest away! I've posted this before but only for upgrades for gaming and recently now need the option to be able to run a small VM test lab. After those upgrades I'll have about $250 left of my budget for the upgrade.

Current setup:
Windows 7 x64
Samsung 840 Pro Series SSD 256GB (OS + primary games)
Nvidia GeForce GTX 760 4GB
Intel i5-4670K @ 3.4GHz
8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 1600 G.Skill Ripjaws X Series RAM
ASRock Z87 Extreme3 LGA1150
WD Blue 1TB (data + secondary games)
Rosewill 630 Watt Green Series Power Supply

I would recommend adding more RAM if you are going to VM, as well as changing over to a Xeon processor. Pretty sure your board supports at least some Xeons. On the better priced side you've got the 1231v3: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819117316 .

Its basically an i7-4770. The additional threads will help with VM as well as the specific instruction sets/features a Xeon has over an i series.

Not sure how you want to split up the ram for the VMs but if for general use/internet, then 4 VMs with 2 threads each and 2gb each per VM would probably suffice, but can only go up from there as far as RAM allocation goes depending on how much you add.

I would recommend adding more RAM if you are going to VM, as well as changing over to a Xeon processor. Pretty sure your board supports at least some Xeons. On the better priced side you've got the 1231v3: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819117316 .

Its basically an i7-4770. The additional threads will help with VM as well as the specific instruction sets/features a Xeon has over an i series.

Not sure how you want to split up the ram for the VMs but if for general use/internet, then 4 VMs with 2 threads each and 2gb each per VM would probably suffice, but can only go up from there as far as RAM allocation goes depending on how much you add.

Thanks so much for the suggestion! Would this affect my gaming in any way? I'm perfectly content with my CPU I have right now. I don't mind if it is equivalent or would be smoother. I just don't want it to degrade in any way or if I will have issues because it is a Xeon processor while gaming.

Any idea?

Thanks so much for the suggestion! Would this affect my gaming in any way? I'm perfectly content with my CPU I have right now. I don't mind if it is equivalent or would be smoother. I just don't want it to degrade in any way or if I will have issues because it is a Xeon processor while gaming.

Any idea?

It'll perform the same as an i7-4770 for gaming pretty much. An improvement over your i5, but not by alot but thats mostly because many games aren't that heavily threaded. Its a definite upgrade though, just as much as if you were to go to an i7 for your socket.

It'll perform the same as an i7-4770 for gaming pretty much. An improvement over your i5, but not by alot but thats mostly because many games aren't that heavily threaded. Its a definite upgrade though, just as much as if you were to go to an i7 for your socket.

Great! Thanks Helgaiden :)

Back