• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Upgrading E3110 - Your thoughts?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Darionis

Registered
Hey everyone! So it's been over a year since my last build, and my desire to make a new system grows steadily!

I'm currently running an E3110 oc'd from 2.6 to 4.2, HD3870X2, on an ASUS Formula Rampage Maximus motherboard.

I'm aiming for a new box to jump on Win 7 and DX11 video cards - but I'm torn between buying an i7, or waiting 'til Q2 2010 for the i9 to come out.

If I went with an i7, I'm leaning towards the 975, and seeing what I can do under some watercooling.

Do you think the i9 vs i7 will be a big enough of a performance boost to warrant the wait?

i9 is nice, but its gonna cost you your left nut I think..

If they have one thats around 5-600us then I would probably do it..

IIRC there will only be the extreme edition i9 priced at about 1k usd or maybe 1.5k

edit: sorry if i didnt help much but im in A LAZY LAZY mood, just get a i7 965 and oc it to 4.5ghz with a nice heatkiller 3.0 with water cooling :)

Last edited:
For pure gaming, an OCed I5 can do it nicelly ... an I7 just a lil better.

Its all about your needs but a I9 can be a waste or a good buying !

Effectively it's for pure gaming, but there will be a bit of 3D CAD.
Like I said - I'm personally looking at the extreme chips so 1-1.5k pricetag is expected.

Looking at one of the 30" Dell monitors @ 2560x1600.

Its sure that getting a X processor can result on better OC due to the unlocked multi. IF you are willing to spend 1500$ on a processor its your choice.

If i was you, i would grab a I7 920 ( or 950 if you want lil higher multi ), a EVGA classi ( or asus P6TD for lil cheaper ) and 3x GTX285 or 3x GXT275 that are way enough.

I7920 (950)
Good X58
3SLI
Good DDR3 mem
**** GOOD PSU *****
Nice WC kit

heare you go, now you can go to mars with your computer ....

Back