• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Need advice for my next build

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

azathot

Ok guys. Simple scenario, complicated options, what do?

Here's the deal. I'm running a Q6600 on an Asus Striker Extreme w/ 8 gigs of Gskill DDR2. Not a bad setup, and no slouch by anyone's definition.

I'm planning on upgrading soon to an i7"ish" rig and giving this old box to my girlfriend. And of course, as is my way, I have been doing my research and piecing together a mental list of wants, must-haves, etc for the parts that I'm going to purchase.

I'm really leaning strongly toward Asus for the board, because I love their products, and I've always had good experiences with them.

So I've got my heart set on a Maximus III Formula board because of all I've heard about it and the advanced features, like being able to connect it to a second machine and monitor temps and voltages, and make adjustments from the other computer (how friggen cool is that?)

But my problem is... it's an LGA1156 board... and the best of the best i7's are 1366.. and now with the Core i9's (with their 6 core/12 thread capacity) rumored to be dropping sometime in the first quarter of this year (like any friggen day now), and reportedly only using the LGA1366 socket .. do I really want to get a board that for all intents and purposes won't be upgradable?

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHH... ahem. So, where can I find a board that's 1366 and still has all the sweet features of the Maximus III Formula, and is as trustworthy as Asus is?

Help? =)

I have an Asus Maximus III Formula, so I speak from 1st hand experience. First of all, do you plan to spend between 500-1000 dollars for a six-core CPU when they drop? If not, you can scratch the "Big" reason to go 1366. Otherwise a i7 860 competes just fine with i7 920.

Are you going to run SLI or X-fire with GTX 295s or 5970s? No? Scratch the next "Big" Reason off your list. The bandwidth on the 1156 socket is plenty, maybe 1% difference.

If you just have to spend more on RAM then you can go Tripple Channel (I haven't seen anything indicating that it is any better, just more expensive).

As for the number of threads, hell, I haven't seen anything I run use even 4 cores unless its a benchmark. I can open every application and game on my desktop and not get all my cores to 100%

But if you HAVE to have a 1366 and you want the Maximus III Formula counterpart, then say hello to the Asus Rampage II Extreme.

http://usa.asus.com/product.aspx?P_ID=W7i5W4Pw4fH22Mih&templete=2

Just wanted to warn you up front. I went from a Q6600 to the i5 750 and then to the i7 860. I don't think you will really notice the difference, except in benchmarks. Now, when programmers start catching up to the technology, then we will see the WoW factor, but I still think that is a little way off.

Good Luck on your build, and :welcome: to the forums.

I would go with the Rampage II Extreme like Brutal-Force suggested. The whole 1156 vs 1366 thing is up to what you want to do with your system. I say if you SLI or CrossfireX then go 1366. If not, then 1156 is a more economical route to take, although 1366 is on average only $150 more. If you can afford it just go 1366 and have no worries about bandwidth.

The Maximus III formula has some great features that the Rampage II extreme lacks.

I was reading on XtremeSystems about the Rampage III Extreme, here.

I think this board is a little bit much, but it's the next thing Asus has up their sleeve.

Ok guys. Simple scenario, complicated options, what do?

Here's the deal. I'm running a Q6600 on an Asus Striker Extreme w/ 8 gigs of Gskill DDR2. Not a bad setup, and no slouch by anyone's definition.

I'm planning on upgrading soon to an i7"ish" rig and giving this old box to my girlfriend. And of course, as is my way, I have been doing my research and piecing together a mental list of wants, must-haves, etc for the parts that I'm going to purchase.

I'm really leaning strongly toward Asus for the board, because I love their products, and I've always had good experiences with them.

So I've got my heart set on a Maximus III Formula board because of all I've heard about it and the advanced features, like being able to connect it to a second machine and monitor temps and voltages, and make adjustments from the other computer (how friggen cool is that?)

But my problem is... it's an LGA1156 board... and the best of the best i7's are 1366.. and now with the Core i9's (with their 6 core/12 thread capacity) rumored to be dropping sometime in the first quarter of this year (like any friggen day now), and reportedly only using the LGA1366 socket .. do I really want to get a board that for all intents and purposes won't be upgradable?

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHH... ahem. So, where can I find a board that's 1366 and still has all the sweet features of the Maximus III Formula, and is as trustworthy as Asus is?

Help? =)

What kind of benchmark scores does your current rig get? Just wondering how much gain you are wanting? I've seen Q6600s run 16,000 on Vantage. So if you have some hot video cards in your current rig you'd better spend the extra cash and go 1366. I'm personally a bang-for-the-buck kind of guy. And the i5 750 has replaced the Q6600 in those respects!

Back