• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Upgrading from HD 7970 to R9 390X, PSU Inquiry.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

INRIhab

Hey folks,

I have an Antec HCG-620W in my rig at the moment, I am upgrading from a now dead XFX HD 7970 card, my mind is set on getting an MSI R9 390X. I understand this is a very powerful card. My CPU is relatively recent, it's a FX 8370e. I am assuming I will need to upgrade my power supply, and am wondering what you guys recommend. That said, if you think I may be able to get away with just a 620W PSU please let me know.

Thanks in advance.

There is no 'getting away' with it :)...that PSU is plenty for that card! The 390x and 7970 share VERY similar board power, around 250W, when running at stock speeds. You can overlock the heck out of the CPU and the 390x and still have plenty of headroom.

Enjoy your card!

Last edited:
Really? I don't mean to doubt you, I am just surprised because my PSU is "Bronze Certified" and the recommended wattage for a 390x is 750W according to this page: http://www.game-debate.com/gpu/inde...-390x-msi-gaming-8gb-edition-vs-radeon-r9-390

Can you reassure me further if possible? I suppose that this is just a 'recommendation', but the last thing I need after all my PC problems of late is for my power supply to blow.

I used PCPartPicker to calculate my wattage ( i know they can overestimate but whatever, it's worth checking) and it would seem i am coming out at just under 500W. How much headroom is necessary? Overclocking is not a necessity I would be okay keeping CPU and GPU at stock clock speeds. Worthy note: My power supply can do 48A on the 12v rail, and i think the r9 390x recommends 50A, would it actually require/use 50A though?

I couuuuld always just install the new GPU and see if it blows up on me.

Your system will pull around 400-450W at most. That PSU will do 576W on the 12v. It will be plenty.

The card itself does not use 50A, no.

Your system will pull around 400-450W at most. That PSU will do 576W on the 12v. It will be plenty.

The card itself does not use 50A, no.

This +1. You're fine with the current PSU.

The only thing I ask is, how old is it?

It's from a custom rig I bought approximately 3 years ago. It is probably anywhere from 3-4 yrs old.

Looks like SeaSonic is the OEM, you should be fine for a few more years with it.
Only a 3 year warranty unit though, so keep that in mind.

Back