• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Upgrading GPU + Question

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Exteez

I would like to ask if it is worth it upgrading from gtx 970 msi to Asus gtx 1080, will I see much of a difference in performance? I am going to wait until the new set of graphics cards come out (2070) so hopefully the older ones will go a lil cheaper.

The question is, some games especially FPS, stutter sometimes a lot for me, especially when something is rendering, like walking into a building or something. I am actually really worried about this, could this be my SSD or something? Sometimes games such as League of Legends have a stutter where the whole screen basically completely freezes for a mini second. What could be the cause of that? My temperatures are fine, the CPU doesn't reach higher than 80 C and the GPU doesnt go higher than 70.

Thanks for any answers!

What's the rest of your system? What resolution do you play at?

Going from a GTX 970 to a GTX 1080 is a big upgrade and prices have already dropped. But you need to have a capable CPU otherwise you might be CPU limited. What CPU is in your system and how much RAM?

Stuttering is unlikely from and SSD, but a hard drive could cause this. Also the GTX 970 has that issue accessing the last 0.5 GB of GDDR5 which can also cause stuttering. I have no idea how much memory your game uses though. Plus an older slow CPU with low RAM (4GB or less) could cause stuttering.

Sorry for not enough info!
Here are my specs:
144Hz 1920x1080
I7 4790k with Evo 212 cooler double fan
2 samsung SSD’s (no hdd)
16gb RAM
750w gold EvGa psu
I always use 2 monitors.

Can stuttering also be caused by an inadequate CPU? Is the 4790k overclocked or stock? It's getting a little long in the tooth now, fourth generation and now we are on the 8th.

What about the stuttering? I had it for as long as I remember. My power settings are set so that cpu doesnt run at max frequency and drops if its idle. And it does stay around 80 for gaming, is this too hot? The stuttering does happen pretty rare but it always does and its annoying

On MSI afterburner it says I have RAM usage max 3020, and on idle I use about 2.8. On Pagefile usage, max says is 3791, and I use about 3400 on idle.

- - - Auto-Merged Double Post - - -

1.PNG

2.PNG

These are all on idle.

But the CPU is at 4.2 GHz, and no its at stock and I didn't do anything with it.

Another thing to add is that when I game my CPU utilisation goes to around 70%, and GPU stays at 99-100%

Well if your CPU utilization is that low the stutter is not from the CPU being overwhelmed.

Thats what Im thinking! Like I've tried everything I can think of with no results. Maybe its just the games and everyone else gets these?

Seems like I have heard that certain apps or drivers on a computer can interfere with game play and cause stuttering. I'm thinking there were issues like this caused by Corsair Link maybe or Asus (what is that called? brain fog this morning).

You really need to create a Signature that outlines your hardware components and travels with every post you make. Click on "Settings" in upper right corner of page and look down the left side. Even in post #4 you neglected to provide info about your motherboard. A "Sig" is common courtesy to those helping you. You can refer to my sig or one of the other regulars on the forum for guidance as to what we like to see.

Seems like to me you are close to the edge with your VRAM amount. What happens if you turn down the detail level on your game play? Does the stutter get better?

Last edited by a moderator:
Seems like to me you are close to the edge with your VRAM amount. What happens if you turn down the detail level on your game play? Does the stutter get better?

I have good fps, and the games still sometimes micro-stutter. Turning the graphics down doesn't do anything, only increase FPS in which I have plenty in most games.

Do you think it's worth waiting for the new cards to come out, will the price drop signifanctly or not?

There should be some discount on the existing generation of 10xx Nvidia cards when the 2xxx new ones debut. There should be some good buys on used cards as early adopters with money will want to move up.

Just for the sake of turning over more troubleshooting stones, I would suggest overclocking the CPU a bit and see if that improves the stutter situation. You should be able to get that CPU to 4.5-4.6 ghz easy on modest voltage and temps.

I stopped reading at tbe graph.... you are using, on IDLE, 3.5GB of system ram and over 4GB of pagefile. Im betting the 4gb of ram is the culprit.

Edit... oops... 16gb of system ram... that isnt it. You are close to the 4gb on the gpu though...

You are close to the 4gb on the gpu though...

A 1080 would be a huge improvement for you!

I'm going to opine that these two quotes cover the situation nicely. 144 Hz 1080p would definitely benefit from a GTX 1080. A 1080 Ti (prices are dropping) wouldn't be a waste of money, either, to get more life out of the upgrade.

I'm going to opine that these two quotes cover the situation nicely. 144 Hz 1080p would definitely benefit from a GTX 1080. A 1080 Ti (prices are dropping) wouldn't be a waste of money, either, to get more life out of the upgrade.

Well it depends how much the 1080 Ti be, because if the new RTX 2070/2080 come out annd the price will be close. How much better do you think the new cards will be?

___

Thank you everyone for your answers, you have all been helpful! <3

Your best option would be the wait it out then. once people have done their testing, then you can decide from there.

Apparently the RTX 2070 will outperform GTX 1080 TI, is that correct? We need to see. The 1080 is more expensive at the moment than the 2070 will be apparently.

Back