• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

upgrading i5-2540 for gaming, considering i7-2640m?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

taylor7545

Hello. I'm using a HP 8460p laptop that came with a i5-2540 processor. I'm using the laptop for gaming only. I wanted to upgrade the CPU and was considering this one:

Intel SR03R - 3.50Ghz 5GT/s 4MB Intel Core i7-2640M Dual Core CPU Processor

Looking to spend around $400-450 so that model fits the budget. So my question is, is this a good upgrade from my original processor considering the price, or is there a better processor that will work? That company has many different models, but after some research, I found this one may work considering it's the same socket.

Just looking for some advice before I dish out any money. Help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks :attn:

Build a desktop computer if you want to game. Laptops are not that great for gaming, and you're still limited by your GPU. Most games are a lot more GPU than CPU dependent, so having the best CPU won't make up for a weak GPU which just about every laptop has.

If it came out standard with an i5 then I doubt that it would have a decent GPU since every laptop I've seen that has a semi decent GPU will have an i7 stock.

Back