• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

upgrading motherboard, will my current oem windows 7 cd work with it

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

abarth_1200

hi guys, so last year i bought myself a copy of w7, oem version as I didnt see my self upgrading anytime soon, but as luck would have it my old Q6600 system is hot loud and slowing down ever more.

What I would like is a definitive answer to this question,

Will I be able to start a clean W7 install onto a new SSD in my new motherboard using my already purchased oem copy of W7 I am using right now on my current motherboard.

you have to call indian tech support to get it activated on the new motherboard.

And thats it, just go ahead and install on my new system as my old motherboard will be getting sold on and call up microsoft and ask them to reactivate it.

yeah there should be instructions about what to do on the activation section if i recall.
i had a motherboard die once and replaced it, they will give you an activation code that you type in.

That's not entirely true...

Microsoft OEM products are tied to Motherboards and their hardware hash, and there is only 1 clause that allows you to replace a motherboard and not purchase new software. The motherboard has to be a model-to-model replacement resulting from failure.

Install using your key and try to activate over the internet. That should fail which will require you to call. The automated system should (but may not) fail as well. When you speak with a rep, you can then tell them that you replaced some parts internally and it will not activate (I'm not advocating lying, but that sentence isn't technically a lie). They may ask if the software is on only one PC, and you confirm that it is. They may then provide an activation code, but they may not. There's no guarantees on this as technically you are required to purchase a new license. I myself have accomplished this by using the sentence above... (It's the same PC, I just replaced some parts...)

Good luck!

If you know how to answer the questioned asked during the automated portion of the phone call, you can easily activate over the phone without speaking to anyone.

If you know how to answer the questioned asked during the automated portion of the phone call, you can easily activate over the phone without speaking to anyone.

Questions? Each time I've called the automatic system, it's simply asking for the installation ID and then gives a yes with activation code or no then transfer. I could be wrong but that's been my experience.

Yea, that happens too. But when I give the Installation ID it runs me through a series of questions, related to how many computers this copy is on and if I have experienced a hardware failure...... weird!

Yea, that happens too. But when I give the Installation ID it runs me through a series of questions, related to how many computers this copy is on and if I have experienced a hardware failure...... weird!

:confused: Perhaps due to the similarities with the mobo hash? When I called it was on a new mobo and it transferred me to a rep immediately.

@op, you may be able to activate by automated system as Lvcoyote experienced, or through live rep, but don't feel blind-sided if they refuse.

Back