• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Upgrading- (z77)3570K to (z97) 4790K

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Nebulous

Dreadnought Class Senior
Been thinking about an upgrade as I'm feeling the "tweaking itch" lol. Looking to sell my current board, chip & Vid card for the upgrade.

Was also thinking of selling the H80 as it will no longer be used, but if I get a decent enough offer for the 3 main parts, i'll most likely toss in the H80 for free.

Now the main question: Is it worth it? I hate selling single parts as most times I'll get stuck with something and that will put the brakes on my upgrade path. I'd like to sell it as a combo deal ya know.

Any suggestions/advice before I make this decision?

In my experience, when you sell items as a combo, it typically reduces total price by say $50 +/- depending on what you are combo'ing. But at the same time, it makes life a lot easier since you do not have to ship the cpu separate + board, it is just altogether.

I personally would sell seperate, but I typically am at the post office every day anyway (I don't know your situation).

Yeah that's the problem. I don't want to sell the parts one by one as I'm sure I'll get stuck with one, which will force me to drop the price even further, and I won't have enough funds.

Maybe I should just go with plan b.

Your never going to get what you want out of electronics.

The cpu is easy to ship, and people will pay good money even for it without a heatsink - you can easily mail that in a small flat rate box.

Assuming you have everything for the H80, then it is pretty much universal - that will fit in a medium flat rate box.

Motherboard is where it is iffy, but it should not be that bad off - again, medium flat rate box.

The worst part is paying fees if you use like ebay, then your pit 15% ontop of your already 30%+ you lost being the parts are now used.

It is the fun game with electronics. That is why I usually buy a model older (for some things) - then I am not left with such a gap in price when I resell.

Before you decide, check the "sold" prices in ebay. You goto the advanced section and select sold items, everything in green will show you the price it sold for, and should give you a good idea what everything is worth, and what price you should put it at to sell sooner rather then later.

Oh I know I'm not going to get what I want as far as pricing. Not the first time at this rodeo for me ;). I just want to be able to sell it all in one shot @ a fair price to be able to get the new parts. Thus I won't be without a pc for long. Don't have a spare.

I don't have/use ebay, as I don't have an account, but I did check the final sold price of said items.

UDH4 will not bring a lot of attention.

How good is the CPU / Max OC ? that could be worth something if it is a beast

UDH4 will not bring a lot of attention.

How good is the CPU / Max OC ? that could be worth something if it is a beast

4.6Ghz is max @ 1.34v. Did not need to go any further for my needs. Running current @ 1.31v Again if all i get is bites on the chip alone, it's not worth it to me to take it all apart just to sell the chip. I might as well rebuild my 8 year old's pc with the setup.

Probably will be a more worthwhile endevor and I am sure your 8 year old will be digging it :thup:

Haswell Refresh is not a worthwhile upgrade from Ivybridge. Sure, you're getting 2MB extra cache and hyperthreading out of the i7 but it isn't THAT much better of a CPU. A true upgrade would be X99. The entry level six core will be $4XX and that will annihilate a 4790K. Probably not for gaming, but for a lot of other things it will. You'll also get DDR4. Don't get into DDR3 when it's almost toast. 1 more generation of mainstream Intel board will support DDR3 then it's EOL. Look to the future.

Haswell Refresh is not a worthwhile upgrade from Ivybridge. Sure, you're getting 2MB extra cache and hyperthreading out of the i7 but it isn't THAT much better of a CPU. A true upgrade would be X99. The entry level six core will be $4XX and that will annihilate a 4790K. Probably not for gaming, but for a lot of other things it will. You'll also get DDR4. Don't get into DDR3 when it's almost toast. 1 more generation of mainstream Intel board will support DDR3 then it's EOL. Look to the future.

I was going to suggest to wait, but was unsure as there is no info for when the release will be. Hopefully soon, but honestly except for unzipping files, I can not really get "full power" out of my current CPU's..

Id wait until X99 or Broadwell if I was you Neb. Ivybridge to haswell/haswell refresh isn't worth it.

Ahh I see. Ok thanks for all the info guyz. Looks like the current rig will have to stay with me a little longer I guess ;)

Keep in mind that Broadwell is just a mfg. process change from 22 to 14 (I think) nm. Don't expect earth shattering performance improvements from Broadwell. X99 is going to be where it's at. 6 Haswell cores for $100 more than a 4 core.

Back