• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Usable Memory Issue

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

BoundByBlood

Maybe Something Cool?
I have been having this issue with Windows 10 (64 bit) not being able to recognize the full amount of installed RAM.

When I first installed Windows it did recognize all 32GB, but after a while it started showing only as 31.9GB as usable in system properties. Some time later I did a long DOS format and a clean reinstall which seemed to have fixed the problem only for a short while. Again, after some time it went back to 31.9GB as usable. HWInfo recognizes only 30GB in its sensor status.

The UEFI bios recognizes all of the memory installed and so does CPU-Z so the problem seems to be limited to only the OS. I can't post a pic of the bios because of screen glare with my digital camera, but it does correctly list the total amount of physical memory installed.

Mr.Scott has told me once before that this is undoubtedly an OS issue since the bios recognizes all of the RAM. Anyone know how to correct this without reinstalling? I tried that once before and the problem returned so I'm wondering if there is something else I can do to get all of the memory back.

Here are pics:
Forum Post 1.jpg Forum Post 2.jpg Forum Post 3.jpg

That seems quite normal and would probably be less if the 2nd decimal place was populated, there's (almost?) always some memory held back because it's in use by hardware, the Resource Manager > Memory tab will give finer details.

If it was multiple hundreds of MB, it might be a BIOS/UEFI bug.

I only have 103MB as hardware reserved, but almost 2GB cached. What bothers me is that I've never had the (31.9 GB usable) before unless something was wrong.

Here is Resource Monitor:
Forum Post 4.jpg

The memory passed memtest.

So based upon what you're seeing, satrow, I shouldn't worry about it? It's all good since the memory is being cached?

Yes, it all looks as expected, cached memory = loaded and ready to go as soon as you action a software that's been prefetched/superfetched. It doesn't seem to have a noticeable impact on modern, performance -oriented machines anyway, add a fast SSD into the mix and you could probably do without any OS caching and you'd never notice a difference.

If you call *something else* that isn't cached and cached memory is all that's left, Windows can clear it and use it for that *something else* almost instantly.

I'm running without Superfetch and, although I've not noticed any slowdowns, after a 4-5 day uptime I do see a similar amount of caching as in your example, that's most likely to be from programs/data I'd loaded but exited earlier in the Session, again, expected behaviour.

Back