• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

USB used for memtest, no longer 100% after?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Rydis

are usbs used for memtest unable to be used again after? I have several USB between 8-32 gigs that I have used as a memtest boot stick, that after doing this, will only format back to 149 MB and I can't seem to get to full capacity again

I would try using a partition software to see if the remaining space is unpartitioned.

Like jmh547, I believe you may be encountering a partition issue. Whatever method you are using to install Memtest to the USB stick, must be partitioning it at a reduced size. You could probably just reformat/partition it in Windows without the need for any other program.

Like jmh547, I believe you may be encountering a partition issue. Whatever method you are using to install Memtest to the USB stick, must be partitioning it at a reduced size. You could probably just reformat/partition it in Windows without the need for any other program.

im using the auto installer that comes with memtest to make it a bootable drive. But all my sticks, after use, no longer format to the correct size, they are all limited to 149 MB through windows format.

I didn't check to look at partitions,

Go to Disk Management in Windows, with one of the USB sticks plugged in.
Take a screenshot and post it here.

boot to another usb with gparted and do it from there or use partition magic from within windows. windows disk manager can be weird about expanding partitions sometimes

Most USB stick 32GiB and under would be Fat32 formatted. Windows Disk Manager can't expand that format (only NTFS afaik) , but as the op found, you can still remove all partitions and then use all available space for a new partition.

Back