• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Using 24x mod and changes multipliers in windows

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

walaka7

I surfed through english-lit so my usage of words leave a lot to be desired.. So PLEASE bear with me. Consider this, for now, a work in progress as im sure there will be a lot of changes to it before its really usable. You at your own risk :p My test boards were both ASUS A7m266-d. One was rev 1.03 the other 1.04. Bulk88 has confirmed that the gigabyte board works as well.

Ok, first thing you need to do is install your mobile xp or your mobile modded xp into the board you intend to use. Yes this will work from mobile modded xps as well as that was the first thing i did before jumpng into true mobiles. more on that later.

What you need to find out is if your motherboard boots off of the L3 code or the L6 (max allowable multiplier for mobile). On the true mobile procs the L3 is set very low, like 6X. so if it boots to 600 mhz or 800 mhz you're in business and this mod will probably work. If your proc boots off of the L6, then DONT TRY THIS METHOD as it will atempt 24X on boot up and will never work and may of course hork something up.

This mod will also work on any xp that ive tried (pallys and tbreds) All you have to do is enable mobile by painting/filling the third L5 bridge. then everything else is the same. If fact i tried this before getting true mobiles to make sure things would work as planned.

Next you need to join the second L5 bridge (this enables the 24X override of L6) This can be accomplished by simply filling the pit with defogger paint. No need for substrate isolation of L5 bridges like the L1 mods of the past.

Once this is done on both procs (if running SMP), boot into windows. You should still be at this point running 600/800 mhz. You need to download WPCREDIT and Crystal CPUID

Crystal CPUID: http://crystalmark.info/?lang=en

Now you need to run WPCREDIT and save the currect settings. Then you need to change line 40 row 0000004. The last digit needs to be a 1 then save the changes. Then load them and verify the change has been made. Now run Crystal CPUID, In the bottom area where it has all the functions listed there should be a parameter that says PowerNow!/Cool'n'Quiet. This should be lit up. Then you should select function and scroll down to K7/K8 multiplier.. From there you should be able to change you multiplier. If you are using a rev 1.03 board, both procs will be changed at same time. If you are running Rev 1.04,
then you need to select cpu2 and make the multipler adjustment again. You should now be in business. Bear in mind that the voltage adjustment will not work as the mobo doesnt support it. For reference, i used http://fab51.com/cpu/barton/athlon-e24.html for explanation of bridges and would be a great read for anyone wanting to understand what all the bridges do.

I will add to this as i can.. also with screenies when i get more time and my wife off my computers.

Feel free to ask away as i know this is rather vague and I really want to make it as understanding as possible

PS: Has anyone tried this on a IWILL MPX2?? Im really curious.. Maybe I'll have to pick one up and try it out

Last edited:
this is awesome....

i really would like to try this...it would be great to slow down a 2.4+ghz and 1.75+volt dual machine when room temps get too high...

just go from 17x142 to 8x142 or something...that should really cool things down...as the power requirement would drop from ~100 watts per cpu to ~50 watts per cpu...should lower temps by about 10 C

so i assume you can still set the fsb to 142 (or something other than 100 or 133mhz)?

and i guess you can NOT pin mod the socket for a set multiplier...you must leave it at default mobile, which is 6x? then change it with the software programs?

and i assume here is where you can get wpcredit:

http://hp.vector.co.jp/authors/VA002374/src/download.html

correct?

also, can i still pin mod the sockets for higher voltage, like 1.775? i would think so...

Last edited:
Alrighty..Here we go this should be very cool..Will the changes on the multiplier be reset by the software at reboot or will we have to manually reset it every time ?

dustybyrd said:
this is awesome....

i really would like to try this...it would be great to slow down a 2.4+ghz and 1.75+volt dual machine when room temps get too high...

just go from 17x142 to 8x142 or something...that should really cool things down...as the power requirement would drop from ~100 watts per cpu to ~50 watts per cpu...should lower temps by about 10 C

so i assume you can still set the fsb to 142 (or something other than 100 or 133mhz)?

and i guess you can NOT pin mod the socket for a set multiplier...you must leave it at default mobile, which is 6x? then change it with the software programs?

and i assume here is where you can get wpcredit:

http://hp.vector.co.jp/authors/VA002374/src/download.html

correct?

also, can i still pin mod the sockets for higher voltage, like 1.775? i would think so...

That's a great link to WPCREDIT, sorry i didnt put it in original post. FSB adustments will remain unchanged.. If you booted at 140 fsb before it will boot at 140 now.

You still CAN pin mod the socket if you wish, as the pin mods used affects L3 and has nothing to do with L6. That may even be a good idea for Folders/Seti who make their rigs auto reboot after a power hiccup. they would come back running pin mod speed.

I also need to thank Bulk88 for his idea in making the WPCREDIT mods easy to understand. its very informative on what is taking place
http://www.ocforums.com/vb/showthread.php?s=&postid=2475471

Heres a screenie of the highlighted part of the change

Attachments

• wpcredit results.gif
    wpcredit results.gif
    63.1 KB · Views: 1,978
Your right, but I kept getting asked to throw something together. After searching i can see why.. as if you read several posts, then you can extrapulate that this MAY work.. Now folks know it does work, and hopfully more light will be shed on this so more folks can join in the fun :D Also is anyone sure of what boards this will or not work on? So far i only show the Asus boards MP and MPX working and your confirm on the gigabyte. Looks like the K7D is not gonna wrk without serious mods. what about the IWILL and the tyan boards??.. If someone could chime in on these that would be great. Im sure some tyan owners would be ooverjoyed if these worked on theres as well since there is no other way to OC them.

The K7D will quite possibly work (as in do dual mobiles) with my new BIOS ... but noone has tried it yet. Anyone with a BIOS saviour wanna give it a go? :)

Hi all, I have been following this thread and others like it.

I have a rev 1.03 ASUS A7M266-D and 2 real 2500xp mobile processors currently running at 14*133 (1866mhz).

I have not yet connected the 2nd L5 bridge to give me the upper 24X range but I did go ahead and do the proper WCPREDIT changes. So far I do have a range of 6X-14X multiplier in CrystalCPUID.

Tomorrow I will pick up a defogger kit (I'm assuming the pencil trick will not work because of the pits?) and connect the proper bridges. I'll let you know how this turns out.

Btw, i'm using bios 1010 and running Windows XP SP1. I do have both processors running properly, each one currently crunching it's own prime 95 torture test. SMP is working just fine.

Just a few questions.

I have a rev 1.03 board and the default voltage for each cpu in the bios is reporting 1.6 volts (plus or minus 0.1).
I know at this voltage, individually these 2 particular cpu's can run 2200-2300mhz easily. Eventually I want to shoot for 2400-2500mhz and call it a day.

What pin's do I have to connect in the sockets to attain the extra voltage?

I apologize in advance if this has been answered several times but I could not find anything solid for this rev motherboard.

Thanks.

I'll let you know either way if by connecting the 2nd L5 bridges gives me the extra multipliers that I need to push these 2 mobiles.

emboss said:
The K7D will quite possibly work (as in do dual mobiles) with my new BIOS ... but noone has tried it yet. Anyone with a BIOS saviour wanna give it a go? :)

Man that would be great news for K7D owners. I would give it a go but i dont have a BIOS savior or extra BIOS chip :/ Add me to the long list on whimps i guess.

Just an update. I filled in the L5 pits a with a rear window defogger kit. I now 24X instead of 14X as my max multiplier. I'm currently testing both cpu's at 2133mhz crunching prime95 torture test.

Thank you all for this info. This will be my new rig :)

I have a rev 1.03 ASUS A7M266-D and 2 real 2500xp mobile processors currently running at 14*133 (1866mhz).

I have not yet connected the 2nd L5 bridge to give me the upper 24X range but I did go ahead and do the proper WCPREDIT changes. So far I do have a range of 6X-14X multiplier in CrystalCPUID.

What pin's do I have to connect in the sockets to attain the extra voltage?
[/B]

i have a question for you...(and Walaka)...

if i have my sockets pin modded for 17x and i don't connect the 2nd L5 bridge, will i still have the 6-14x multiplier options? and will i be able to go back to 17x (after first setting the multiplier to 6x or so with these software programs) without a reboot, or will i just need to reboot if i want to go from 17x to 6x and then back to 17x?

on your extra voltage pin mod question...you really only need to connect two socket holes with one 8-10 mm wire in each socket...

go to http://www.ocinside.de/index_e.html and select "socket view"...then set the voltage to 1.8v (you will actually get 1.775v with the mobile cpus) and compare the pin configuration at the bottom left of the socket view to the 1.65v setting...there you will see one wire appear and one disappear...the only wire you need to put in the socket for 1.775v (1.8v setting at this website) is the one that appears when you go from 1.65v to 1.8v....you don't need the other pins since they are the same setting already for this processor...

when i can photoshop this socket view pic again i will ask mamexp or someone to host it for me

walaka said:
Ok, first thing you need to do is install your mobile xp or your mobile modded xp into the board you intend to use. Yes this will work from mobile modded xps as well as that was the first thing i did before jumpng into true mobiles. more on that later.

I ask again to be sure :
what about bartons xp locked does this apply for these cpu too?
I have 2 yet unmodded 2800+ xp barton cpus and 2 mobile bartons 2600+ on a gigabyte board . what is your suggestion should i keep the mobiles on the gigabyte or should i mod the 2800+ ( non mp - non mobile ) to replace the mobiles?

If so please help.........
I have bigger problem than walaka understanding (100%) english
so i would love a step by step hardware mod for the cpus and a step by step software guide .

papaki63 said:
walaka said:

I ask again to be sure :
what about bartons xp locked does this apply for these cpu too?
I have 2 yet unmodded 2800+ xp barton cpus and 2 mobile bartons 2600+ on a gigabyte board . what is your suggestion should i keep the mobiles on the gigabyte or should i mod the 2800+ ( non mp - non mobile ) to replace the mobiles?

I would keep the mobiles as they OC higher. Plus they are unlocked. If the 2800+s are locked, and you turn them into MP mobile cpus using L5 modding, they will work in the gigabyte board. They will NOT work together in a MSI K7D board (will not see 2nd cpu)(without a modded bios that doesn't work yet).

dustybyrd said:

i have a question for you...(and Walaka)...

if i have my sockets pin modded for 17x and i don't connect the 2nd L5 bridge, will i still have the 6-14x multiplier options? and will i be able to go back to 17x (after first setting the multiplier to 6x or so with these software programs) without a reboot, or will i just need to reboot if i want to go from 17x to 6x and then back to 17x?

Whoa interesting. L3 being coded higher than L6 and working.. I dont really know nor have i tried. Would make sense though that it would boot to 17 but what happnes after that i have no idea. Only one way to find out ;)

Whoa interesting. L3 being coded higher than L6 and working.. I dont really know nor have i tried. Would make sense though that it would boot to 17 but what happnes after that i have no idea. Only one way to find out ;) [/B]

yeah i guess it does seem a little fishy...i imagine it would work without the pin mod (ie 6-14x multi's without doing the L5 2nd bridge connection)

the reason i ask is that i don't really want to have to take out the chips again...and i don't have any defogger paint...

but i sure would like to slow the beast down to <1000mhz every so often...

Back