• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

using a 6800 ultra bios on a 6800 gt

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Gabe3

I have a bfg 6800 GT agp 8x card overclocked to 410/1100 with stock 1.3v, my overclock is bios side not software, I socre 5638 points in 3dmark05.

I would like to make it to 6k in 3dmark05 but it would require me to mod my bios, I've done this in the past and I know how to. so I modded my bios with the same clock speed 410/1100 but with 1.4v insted of 1.3v, I go playing battlefield 2 for a few minutes and one of my monitors thats displaying bf2 turns all white and has diff colors. so I hard restart my computer and I ask a guy and he said that 6800 gt's dont like voltage mods, so a little diging on some forums I come to an idea that mabye flashing to a 6800 ultra bios will fix my problem so my screen doesent turn all white when playing..oh and btw, I was checking my gpu temp constantly on one of my dual monitors while battlefield 2 was open and temps were totally fine, I think they got into mid 50c's or something, nothing dangerious, thanks in advance guys for any help

I have an eVGA 6800 GT also AGP at 8x and I just recently flashed the bios to a Nvidia Ultra and now I am at 436 core and 1100 memory with Coolbits. Pretty stable with it so far, on air. I tried the volt mod but it didn't really like that and I initially thought that I fried the card but it ended up being that the bios for the Ultra was at 1.4 volts and I just reduced it back to 1.3 and have been fine since. So mine didn't like the volt mod either beceause it kept overheating at least on air. I am going to run 3DMark05 on it soon to bench it....

i also just tryed the bfg 6800 ultra bios with the 1.4v and my screen went nuts just like it did when I volt modded my stock 6800 gt bios before, iam pritty much out of ideas to get the card to be stable at 1.4v, so enough with that :shrug:

what I dont understand is how the heck your overclocking better with the ultra bios, for the memory I can see why your overclocking better because the ultra bios has looser timings, but the gpu core speed I dont see why your doing better, whatever it is Iam gonna do exactly what you did, Iam running the ultra bios right now, Iam gonna lower its voltage to 1.3v and see what happens, brb soon :)

my temps are fine though when its at 1.4v, i tryed raising the agp voltage in the bios but it dident help, still got a white screen with some other colors after a few minutes of gameplay oh well, i think iam gonna call it quits and just stick with stock voltage, i'll be selling my card and mobo sometime this month and upgrading so it might be best i keep the card on the safe side since it will be sold to someone

On my 6800Gt I flashed it to a Gainward GS Bios. I used a GT BIOS because it's ben proven through testing that the tighter timings will score higher and give better performance than the looser timings of the Ultra. The looser timings will allow a higher OC becasue the RAM will not artifact and error as low as the tighter GT will, but even with those higher OC's all it really is, is an inflated number. It looks stronger, but in testing it's really not. I've seen guys flash Ultras with GT BIOS's before because of this. If you put a max OC'd GT against a max OC'd Ultra, the GT will beat it.

If you're having issues with 1.4v it could be that you're upping the voltage on 2D and regular 3D settings. You only want to raise the voltage of the performance 3D setting. The other two should be 1.10 and 1.3v respectively. The is no advantage to raising the other two voltages as it will only heat the card up and adds nothing to gaming or benching.

Back