• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Validating Your Computer

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Its still not working... on the phone with microsoft again.

EDIT: God they say this problem is very new (i.e another 45 mins on the phone)

EDIT #2: the lady told me to get a cup of coffee... i have a feeling i am going to be on the phone for a long time.

EDIT #3: I was on the phone for two hours and I still can't validate my comp.

Last edited:
Does SP2 still have issues with amd comps? Also I don't feel like giving up now after I have spent so much time on the phone.

People that are having the same problem can try the steps below... even though they didnt work for me :(

Download the ActiveX cab file from the following link http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=39204
-Extract the 3 files named LEGITCHECKCONTROL.DLL GWFSPIDGEN.DLL and LEGITCHECKCONTROL.INF
-Copy the files LEGITCHECKCONTROL.DLL and GWFSPIDGEN.DLL into c:\windows\system32
-Register LEGITCHECKCONTROL.DLL using the REGSVR32 LEGITCHECKCONTROL.DLL command
-Copy the LEGITCHECKCONTROL.INF file into the c:\windows\inf folder and then right click it to say Install
-Restart your computer
-Try to run windows update

I just do my updates one at a time as they are available on the download site. No questions for validation and no problems. Most security updates are for IE anyway, which I do not use.

nvm... I just remember back when sp2 came out I had issues with it. It was probably my f'ed up MSI board.

This does crap to illegal windows versions. Heck many pirated versions can pass validation.

Plus this has been here for a whial, it's stopping no one. Why are some of you on the phone going nuts of being validated when it's not effecting you at all?

And the whole thing about illegal copies only getting security updates is BS becuase I know many people that get plenty of all the updates.

I am not going nuts I just feel like M$ should do something... and now that I have already spent the time to call why give up now?

the adam said:
Its still not working... on the phone with microsoft again.

EDIT: God they say this problem is very new (i.e another 45 mins on the phone)

EDIT #2: the lady told me to get a cup of coffee... i have a feeling i am going to be on the phone for a long time.

EDIT #3: I was on the phone for two hours and I still can't validate my comp.

I can't tell you how bad I feel for you right now. It was stuff like that which pushed me off the edge and now I will never buy or use Microsoft products ever again. I hope this all gets resolved for you.

the adam said:
I am not going nuts I just feel like M$ should do something... and now that I have already spent the time to call why give up now?

See, crap like this drives people to just download Windows. Why should you pay for something when you can get it for free. you might have a few problems getting it validated or updates, but for some who actually bought thier copies, they have the same problems as pirated copies.

the adam said:
Does SP2 still have issues with amd comps? Also I don't feel like giving up now after I have spent so much time on the phone.

People that are having the same problem can try the steps below... even though they didnt work for me :(

Download the ActiveX cab file from the following link http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=39204
-Extract the 3 files named LEGITCHECKCONTROL.DLL GWFSPIDGEN.DLL and LEGITCHECKCONTROL.INF
-Copy the files LEGITCHECKCONTROL.DLL and GWFSPIDGEN.DLL into c:\windows\system32
-Register LEGITCHECKCONTROL.DLL using the REGSVR32 LEGITCHECKCONTROL.DLL command
-Copy the LEGITCHECKCONTROL.INF file into the c:\windows\inf folder and then right click it to say Install
-Restart your computer
-Try to run windows update
i tryed this but one of the files you listed gwfspidgen.dll isnt in that cab file.. and it still didnt work for me, o and i cant disable the WGA add-on in MSIE. its grayed out and says only the admin can control this addon

I went to Windows Update last night oops I mean Microsoft Update (No Difference really) anyways I had 3 updates to download. They weren't critical updates as I did a custom scan but after it scanned it asked me to download the Validation tool. Which I already had but it must of been an updated version I think not sure.

I did and then it let me scan again and the updates showed up you could all try that and see what happend for people who having problems MS Update. The 3 updates available are KB912945, KB904942 & KB912475 one of them is for a HTTP error for IE7 when it's released :confused: which is weird.

IE7 comes out later in the year doesn't it?

Back