• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Vantec Nexstar 6G external enclosure issues

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Voodoo Rufus

Powder Junkie Moderator
I can't get my external USB3/eSATA enclosure to work. It lights up with USB or external power. The drive's onboard LED lights up. The drive plugged into the mainboard itself works fine. But connecting via USB or eSATA will not get Windows to recognize my drive on either of two machines, no matter what port I use. I repartitioned and reformatted the drive, which is an OCZ Vertex3, just in case and still no joy.

I can haz helpz plz?

Have you tried to view the drive from the bios? (Power up drive, power up PC, go into BIOS.) If it doesn't show up there then the electronics in the enclosure are probably bad.

If you tried both eSATA and USB then you've tried different cables so that rules out a bad cable.

If the drive does show up in the BIOS then you need to figure out how to get Windows to see it. I'm less familiar with that since I run Linux. I do recall having that problem in the past when I could see a new drive in the (Windows) storage manager but couldn't figure out how to partition and format it. I formatted it for Windows using Linux and was then able to get it mounted in Windows but that was year ago and I don't recall the details. The sticking point was partitioning and formatting and it seems that you've already done that.

Good luck!

Would allocating a drive letter with the drive plugged into the mainboard have any influence?

I'll check the bios tonight.

Back