• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Vcore or VID? @__@ I Am So Confused

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

SMOR3S

Last edited:
From a few reviews I read about the Biostar 890 boards the conclusion was the bios arrangement was a mess. That said the CPU VID is the base cpu voltage and should be set to whatever Default voltage is for that cpu; probably about 1.375 volts as that is where the cpu voltage will be when the board sleeps or begins to throttle when not loaded.

The CPU Vcore in the "overvoltage settings" is where you ADD voltage to the CPU VID for the purpose of 'adding' enough voltage needed for overclocking the cpu. The CPU Vcore voltage is 'added' to the CPU VID for the voltage that will be sent to the cpu as cpu voltage.

Neither of those two voltages specifically has anything to do with Vdroop or Vdrop. Most Vdroop settings are called something like Load Line Calibration or similar. Don't know if that Biostar board has any such setting. You could add more CPU Vcore to make cpu voltage high enough that the cpu voltage 'after' drooping was still high enough to be stable when pushing an overclock but that is not exactly the same as a setting to compensate for Vdroop under load. Again I don't kow if such LLC setting is in your bios.

EDIT: I did a quick search for LLC or Vdroop compensation setting on Biostar 890 chipset boards and it said that is something n0t on the Biostar 890 boards. END EDIT.

Last edited:
From a few reviews I read about the Biostar 890 boards the conclusion was the bios arrangement was a mess. That said the CPU VID is the base cpu voltage and should be set to whatever Default voltage is for that cpu; probably about 1.375 volts as that is where the cpu voltage will be when the board sleeps or begins to throttle when not loaded.

The CPU Vcore in the "overvoltage settings" is where you ADD voltage to the CPU VID for the purpose of 'adding' enough voltage needed for overclocking the cpu. The CPU Vcore voltage is 'added' to the CPU VID for the voltage that will be sent to the cpu as cpu voltage.

Neither of those two voltages specifically has anything to do with Vdroop or Vdrop. Most Vdroop settings are called something like Load Line Calibration or similar. Don't know if that Biostar board has any such setting. You could add more CPU Vcore to make cpu voltage high enough that the cpu voltage 'after' drooping was still high enough to be stable when pushing an overclock but that is not exactly the same as a setting to compensate for Vdroop under load. Again I don't kow if such LLC setting is in your bios.

EDIT: I did a quick search for LLC or Vdroop compensation setting on Biostar 890 chipset boards and it said that is something n0t on the Biostar 890 boards. END EDIT.

I am very disappointed in Biostar for setting up the BIOS like this. If I add +0.050 to the 1.3500v VID, I get around 1.416v o_O (weird). Should I lower the VID, so when I up the VCore it makes a sensible voltage.

CPU: AMD Phenom II x4 955 C2 @ 3.6GHz 1.3750v = from your signature. If that is all you are running for cpu speed then however you had it before you 'posted', I would return it to those settings and compute on.

Biostar, IMO, makes and occasional good board here and there but their bioses are the most difficult to use. Really strange sometimes.

CPU: AMD Phenom II x4 955 C2 @ 3.6GHz 1.3750v = from your signature. If that is all you are running for cpu speed then however you had it before you 'posted', I would return it to those settings and compute on.

1.3500v is stock for my CPU.

*EDIT* Can anyone else elaborate on this?

If I set my VID to stock, then should I just up the Vcore in the overvolt menu? I am stable currently with 1.3750v, but in CPU-Z it shows 1.3560v-1.3680v, which is stock almost. I have a feeling that the VID doesn't increase the initial Vcore of the chip, and I even heard lowering the VID, and upping the Vcore makes for a more stable overclock. I know the VID is the Voltage ID or w/e, it just tells the chip to run at a certain voltage, or how ever that works. I wish I had an ASUS board again, the Vcore was so easy to raise and lower.

If SB drops in price once IB releases, I am going with a SB setup, with an ASUS board. I wanted to give Biostar a chance, and it's not that I don't hate the board, it runs fine, but it's lacking on SATA 3 Port, USB 3.0 Ports, x16-x8 Bandwidth PCI-E, and BIOS control. If they could possibly come out with an update to fix the Vcore issue (Which I doubt, cause it's probably built into the board), I would be much happier. I am an Overclocker, so from just using this board, and my experiences with it, I am very disappointed with Biostar. I know the 790FX/SB750 board were crap, but people were actually liking the 890FX/SB850 boards, cause they were cheap, and they OC'd fine. I just need an insight on the board from either someone that has experience OCing with this board, or someone that has a similar experience with VID/Vcore board setups.

Last edited:
No, VID is not the voltage applied to the CPU so it won't vdroop. To counteract vdroop there is a setting normally called LLC (Load Line Calibration) which provides an offset under load.

Usually, CPUVID is the main core voltage adjustment in a bios.

If you could attach some digital camera pics of your relevant bios sections and attach them with a new post it would be easier for us to help you. We would be seeing what you see then.

No, VID is not the voltage applied to the CPU so it won't vdroop. To counteract vdroop there is a setting normally called LLC (Load Line Calibration) which provides an offset under load.

Usually, CPUVID is the main core voltage adjustment in a bios.

If you could attach some digital camera pics of your relevant bios sections and attach them with a new post it would be easier for us to help you. We would be seeing what you see then.

Look at OP, I linked pictures... can you not see them?

Oops, I overlooked those links. Just so you'll know, its preferable and a little handier fur us just to attach the pics directly to your posts. There is a built in forum tool for this. If you click on the "Go Advanced" button at the bottom of any new post window and then click on the paperclip tool at the top of the Advanced Post window it will pop up a file browser/loader tool that will allow you to find and attach up to three pics per post.

Can you directly change the values of those line items in Custom P States?

Oops, I overlooked those links. Just so you'll know, its preferable and a little handier fur us just to attach the pics directly to your posts. There is a built in forum tool for this. If you click on the "Go Advanced" button at the bottom of any new post window and then click on the paperclip tool at the top of the Advanced Post window it will pop up a file browser/loader tool that will allow you to find and attach up to three pics per post.

Can you directly change the values of those line items in Custom P States?

*EDIT* Thanks, but I am not new to forums :p, I just did that, cause the pictures were really huge, and I didn't want to re-size them in Photoshop.

I can change the values of everything in the custom P state. Currently I am @:

VCore: Auto
VID: 1.4652v (In CPU-Z 1.452)(It seems I have to set the VID 1 higher than I desire, cause it drops .100v for some reason.

My thought about this is that the custom P states are tied up with the power saving, green stuff, especially how the bios allocates frequencies and voltages to the cores when Turbo is active. You may have already done this but most people suggest disabling Turbo, C1E, Cool and Quiet, etc. Then going into Windows Control Panel and configuring the Power Options to High Performance is also a good idea as that alone takes care of disabling a lot of the green stuff and is kind of an insurance. My point being that after doing that my guess is you ought to focus on the stuff in the Over-volting menu for your overclock adjustments. That's my guess.

My thought about this is that the custom P states are tied up with the power saving, green stuff, especially how the bios allocates frequencies and voltages to the cores when Turbo is active. You may have already done this but most people suggest disabling Turbo, C1E, Cool and Quiet, etc. Then going into Windows Control Panel and configuring the Power Options to High Performance is also a good idea as that alone takes care of disabling a lot of the green stuff and is kind of an insurance. My point being that after doing that my guess is you ought to focus on the stuff in the Over-volting menu for your overclock adjustments. That's my guess.

I have already turned off C1E, C&Q, and adjusted the power management settings.

For the "VID" I can't just turn it off, it goes from 0.000v all the way to 1.6500v. I can how ever turn the VCore on Auto. (0.000v might turn it off, but I don't know. I am still confused about why they included the voltage setup like this, it's kind of stupid.

I downloaded AMD Overdrive again to check it out, and before anyone says "OMG Don't Use Software To OC", I don't, I am just checking to make sure AO shows what I am seeing in my BIOS.

AMD Overdrive does show the VID as the CPU Voltage, but the funny thing is that in AO it shows the VID as 1.3500v (Which is stock.), and in the BIOS I have it set to 1.5125v, and in CPU-Z it shows 1.5000v.

I might try and use AMD Overdrive, because the voltage settings are straight forward and more simpler than the BIOS. I will how ever still change the Ram settings, Ram timings, Ram voltage, CPU-NB settings, and CPU-NB voltage in the BIOS, but I am going to try and use the AO for the CPU clock.

I don't see the issue with CPU Overclocking through software, cause GPU overclocking is done the same way. I use MSI Afterburner, but AO has a built in OC tool for AMD card.

Two things:

1. AMDOD typically reports voltages incorrectly when they have been changed in bios. It reports what the mfg encoded on the chip as stock. The one exception to this is the CPUNB which AMDOD does report correctly when changes have been made in bios and I have often used the program to figure out which bios line item is really CPUNB when they use some cryptic terminology in the bios.
2. Why don't you experiment with the CPU voltage control possibilities in your bios and see which one makes the changes you expect as it would show in CPU-z or HWMonitor, programs we trust to report correctly?

Back