• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Veagance 4x8GB CMK16GX4M2A2666C16 - what's next? :-)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

kmk68

Hello.

Question to the more experienced from me...

Processor: i7-7820X - delided - now going 8x4.4GHz (260W)

Mainboard: Asrock Extreme 4 (X299)

Ram: Veagance 4 x CMK16GX4M2A2666C16 - 4 slots free

And:

1. Can I add something to the remaining free slots?

2. Is there sense to buy faster memory for this set?

Thanks, regards,
Kajetan

1. You can... but do you need it? Unused RAM is useless and you already have 32GB.

2. In mks ttasks, not really. What do you use your PC for? A bit difficult to really help!

Hmmm, I use for many things ...
I know that few tasks will benefit from all cores, but for example, these:
1. Stacking astronomical photos ... sometimes 1-2-3 hours
2. Unity3D - graphics rebuild, recompilation sometimes 30-40 minutes...
3. Microsoft VS uses all cores very well when recompiling. It is only 30-40 seconds, but many, many times a day :)
I miss the memory when testing servers, two virtual machines of 10GB and it is already weak ...
Some of virtual machines do not want to act in 32GB...
Cache for ssd disks could also use larger than 4GB. ;-)
Video is generated at a rate of 6 FPS. :-(

In general, the computer is not bored. If I can't do it faster - I will survive.
But how I boost the processor from 8x3.6 to 8x4.4 - reduce the waiting time for rendering by 20% - is cool.

Change of water cooling for the better (I have 2x120 AIO) toincreased to 4.6G will no longer pay off.

That's why I became interested in how much I can gain from faster RAM.
For example, 5% is a pity money, 15-20% is worth it to me.

The motherboard is why I bought it for large processors and up to 128GB RAM, but I probably bought poor memory for this board.

i5 and dualchannel - OK, i7 and quadchannel also OK.

But I asked the motherboard manufacturer if it would work 8x, he replied: "this is not a reference memory, I don't know"

I am asking here, maybe someone knows.

Kind regards,
Kajetan

If you need more RAM, get more RAM. I'm simply stating unused RAM is a waste of money.

As far as how memory affects those loads performannce wise, who knows. I don't run them, sorry. As far as paying 5% more for 15-20% gains, no way. THe other way around at best in most cases.

I doubt there will be any significant performance gain at a faster memory clock in the listed applications and even if there will be then up to mentioned 5% what isn't worth spending $400 for higher series memory kit.
If you wish to buy 2nd 32GB kit then used memory IC and probably also some memory timings, will be different and then it's not guaranteed that both memory kits will work together without issues. In this case it's better to replace your current kit with something at a higher speed and capacity. This will be already quite high cost.
I run something like this on my X299 right now and it would be a minimum if I decided to upgrade to 64GB on X299:
https://www.newegg.com/ballistix-64...stix_sport_lt_64GB-_-9SIAGGN9PP6709-_-Product
... so have to count $500+ on upgrade

Back