• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Vengeance LPX 16gb 3000mhz

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

DangerousB

Registered
Hi guys i bought a new pc and i wanted to overclock the ram i set the profil xmp 2 in bios (msi b450 tomahawk + ryzen 2600) and i got only 2933mhz.. So i set the dram to manual 3000mhz! Here is a screenshot how it looks like now! Now i wanted to ask what is with the timings i downloaded dram calculator and i got results i entered the results in my bios but the pc wont boot again after i set everything like in the dram calculator. Hope somneone can help me? thanks

Attachments

• 3000.png
    3000.png
    31.3 KB · Views: 352
So just to be clear you set the timings to 15-17-17-35 @ 1.35V and it wont boot?

I dont think amd likes odd CL timings... you need to use gear down or set to an even CL value.

So just to be clear you set the timings to 15-17-17-35 @ 1.35V and it wont boot?

no thats the default timings :) but when i set the timings from the dram calculator like in the picture my pc wont boot! here is the picture with calculate safe timings for my memory!

Attachments

• dr.png
    dr.png
    136 KB · Views: 363
I can't speak for the DRAM calculator as I've never used it.

You might need to loosen the timings a little. Try something like 3000Mhz 16-18-18-36 @1.40v and see if it boots and is stable.

Those timings are off. For one you've set the calculator to Ryzen 1 gen when you have a Zen+ or 2 gen CPU. Profile is also manual, it shouldn't be (I don't remember exactly what the options are).

I would just reset factory defaults, re-enable XMP-2, and then change it manually to 3000MHz. Was that stable? If not then making the timings tighter won't help. Remember every system is different, the calc. is just a guideline. Also did you adjust the SOC voltage as suggested in the calculator? At 3000MHz a little bump may be required to remain stable.

Those timings are off. For one you've set the calculator to Ryzen 1 gen when you have a Zen+ or 2 gen CPU. Profile is also manual, it shouldn't be (I don't remember exactly what the options are).

I would just reset factory defaults, re-enable XMP-2, and then change it manually to 3000MHz. Was that stable? If not then making the timings tighter won't help. Remember every system is different, the calc. is just a guideline. Also did you adjust the SOC voltage as suggested in the calculator? At 3000MHz a little bump may be required to remain stable.

i did it so factory reset the bios and changed to xmp 2 and changed it to manually 3000mhz without touching the timings

Cool how is it working?

If you can pass Prime95 on blend mode for a good 4 hours it should be stable.

Cool how is it working?

If you can pass Prime95 on blend mode for a good 4 hours it should be stable.

it works good for now :) i didnt test it with prime95... im not a heavy user! I play videos games and i played PUBG for 2h and everything is fine maybe i should try to bump it even more

I'm guessing you could, but it might not be as straightforward as using the XMP! I would follow the advice of others and ignore the calculator. I too was obsessed with it when I first set my system up, but for the last year or more I think the BIOS for most boards has been more than capable of setting all those timings and most of the experts here will tell you it's not worth the trouble (as Blaylock implied).

If you do try to go further, I would recommend stress testing. My CPU (2600X) needs a SOC voltage increase to 1.0V to run 3200MHz and 1.2V to run 3600MHz. I bet your memory could do 3200MHz CL 16-18-18 or CL 16-20-20 at 1.35V or 1.4V for the memory. When you used the calculator it was meant to be used with Taiphoon Burner to determine the specific IC (brand and die series) used on your chips. On your screenshot it was set up for Samsung B-die, but based on the XMP profile and memory performance I don't think that's what you have. If you use Taiphoon Burner you can determine what IC you have and see what has been working for others on that IC.

Last edited:
I'm guessing you could, but it might not be as straightforward as using the XMP! I would follow the advice of others and ignore the calculator. I too was obsessed with it when I first set my system up, but for the last year or more I think the BIOS for most boards has been more than capable of setting all those timings and most of the experts here will tell you it's not worth the trouble (as Blaylock implied).

If you do try to go further, I would recommend stress testing. My CPU (2600X) needs a SOC voltage increase to 1.0V to run 3200MHz and 1.2V to run 3600MHz. I bet your memory could do 3200MHz CL 16-18-18 or CL 16-20-20 at 1.35V or 1.4V for the memory. When you used the calculator it was meant to be used with Taiphoon Burner to determine the specific IC (brand and die series) used on your chips. On your screenshot it was set up for Samsung B-die, but based on the XMP profile and memory performance I don't think that's what you have. If you use Taiphoon Burner you can determine what IC you have and see what has been working for others on that IC.

i used taiphon burner to what ram i got specification of my ram. here is a screenshot from taiphoon burner! and what i dont understand do i need to change every setting (tras, trrdl etc...) or just the first 3 settings in bios? soc is the voltage for ram right? What i found out in the bios from my b450 tomahawk! There is a option memory try it its overclocks my ram and changes automatically MHZ and timings! Should i maybe try so?

Attachments

• snap29 8 2019 211819.png
    snap29 8 2019 211819.png
    40.9 KB · Views: 289
Last edited:
That ryzen calculator was designed on samsung B and for a long time it was the only IC that was working (not even always). Many users are complaining that something isn't working on their memory kits - pretty much every thread with "how to set my memory kit" on OCF which includes DRAM calc, so I just wouldn't waste time on that, especially that additional adjustments give barely any improvements on Ryzen (no matter what people say around the web).
Simple way on any IC is to set all timings at auto, SoC depends on the CPU 1.0-1.2V (for Ryzen 1000-2000 will be 1.2V as Zerileous said), 1.4V and check how high it will boot. When it boots then start to adjust CL. When you find a spot when it doesn't want to boot anymore then just keep last successful boot settings and run any stability test for 10-15 mins. If you make it pass then start playing with additional timings.
Typical settings for Micron:
3000/3200/3466/3600 16-16-16, 16-18-18, 18-18-18, 18-20-20, 18-22-22, 20-20-20, 20-22-22 ... all depends on used Micron IC and luck

I don't have any threads/reviews with Micron B-die but it should be close to D which was working more like 3200 16-18-18, 3600 18-20-20 1.35V.
As it was mentioned already, 1.0V SoC should be enough at 3200 and up to 1.2V when you try for 3600. Many 300/400 series motherboards simply won't run stable at 3600 but I've noticed that most run without issues at 3466.

Ok i got it but one thing is making me crazy do i need to change every aspect i the bios or just the first 4 rows (tcl, tras etc...)

Start to work on the first 4. When you stabilize it then move to some other settings. For example, you can set lower values for tRFC or tRC. It depends on used IC so there is no clear answer how low you can drop these settings.

Back