• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Venice 3200 overclock help

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

rangi

I have been trying to overclock this 3200+ Venice CPU, so far 2.58GHz not too bad but I would like more ;)

Here below is what I am working with:

Hardware: 3200+ 64bit CPU air cooled by an opteron 170 stock HSF, DFI LP UT D, Mushkin redline PC4000, X850XTPE and an western digital sata 160GB hdd (with XP sp2).

So far I have managed to achieve stability (Orthos, 3dMark01se, superpi32M, StressCPU) on these settings:
BIOS 704-2BTA
258*10 @ 1.62v Vcore Stepping is LBBLE 0540
VDIMM 3.49v
CnQ off, LTD 3x
LTD Voltage: 1.3V
Chipset Voltage: 1.6V

DRAM Frequency: 200 (1:1)
CPC : Enabled
tCL : 2
tRCD: 2
tRAS: 6
tRp : 2
tRC : 7
tRFC: 15
tRRD : 2
tWR : 2
tWRT : 2
tRWT: 2
tREF : 4672
tWCL : 1
Enabled

DQS Skew Control : Increase
DQS Skew Value : 255
DRAM Drive Strength : Normal 3
DRAM Data Drive Strength: 3
Max Async Latency : 8.0ns
Read Preamble Time : 6.0ns
Idle Cycle Limit : 16
Dynamic Counter: Disabled
R/W Queue Bypass : 16x
Bypass Max: 7x
32 Byte Granulation: disabled (4 Burst)

I'm sure this cpu can do more, as I have tested this using 2x256 Muskin blk lvl2 Bh5's over 2.6GHz.

Memory controller?

rangi

When you go higher than 258*10 does it still pass memtest ? those look like really tight timmings cas2 @ 250+ maybe try a divder just to see if that is that wall you are @ .

I agree with Console about using a divider on your ram...do you know what your curent ram frequency is? It may be that your ram is being pushed beyond it's frequency limit...using a divider will drop that freq. down to a workable, stable level....and as you increase the cpu speed the ram freq. will increase as well.

Can you put your ram timings on auto? If those timings can be loosened a little, it will help.

Your Vcore voltage seems to be a little higher than expected.....but every chip is different....did it require 1.62v. to get stable? If you use a divider...which ever is the first step below 1:1...then you might be able to drop your Vcore a little and still get a stable test....you would just need to test and see.

Isn't o/c'ing fun!!

Thanks for you replies :)

I have used the divider 180/9:10 and 166/5:6 to see what my cpu limits were.

The timings are tight agreed but I just don't know enough about UTT IC's, some people have that stated VDIMM voltage 24/7 and more so so I have read, it seems these IC's can handle a wee voltage though I wouldn't go higher, oh yes the ram is actively cooled.

I like 1:1 if I can I would like to keep it this way.

Thanks stevejr, nice utility I'll use that :)

rangi...as console asked...while you had the ram on a divider did you see if you could bump your cpu speed some more? Using a divider will not affect the performance...but not using a divider will soon push the ram beyond it's capabilities...and that will certainly cause stability problems...that's why ram dividers are used...to be able to o/c like crazy and still keep the ram within limits...

from your first post you asked "memory controller?"....No..more like memory divider!

keep us posted...

I have tried using a divider and have had little help there in regards to any clock increase.
My plan was to try to keep the ram in spec or close to whilst using the dividers but still no real joy no matter which divider and HTT. I have increased vcore to see if I can get more to no avail.
I can boot into windows at 2.8 and bench at 2.7 but 24/7 stability is another thing.

So far I'm 8MHz above spec for the Mushkin Redline ram, Muskin ram is one of the best so I'm sure 8Mhz isn't stressing it too much.

rangi....did you ever loosen your timings and then try at that setting?

What is the spec for your ram...if it's 200Mhz then only 8Mhz above that is fine...in fact, I'm surprised that it's only 8Mhz if you are still at 1:1 ram ratio. Please let me know what the spec for that ram is....

My ram is running at 220Mhz...a full 20Mhz above stock...my ram is just Kingston Value Ram...nothing special....and it's doing just fine.

What board are you using...some boards don't o/c well.

You really need to loosen your timings...please try that and let us know.

There seems to be something else going on here that we don't know about...but then you just might have gone as far as that chip and board will allow.

stevejr said:
rangi....did you ever loosen your timings and then try at that setting?

What is the spec for your ram...if it's 200Mhz then only 8Mhz above that is fine...in fact, I'm surprised that it's only 8Mhz if you are still at 1:1 ram ratio. Please let me know what the spec for that ram is....

My ram is running at 220Mhz...a full 20Mhz above stock...my ram is just Kingston Value Ram...nothing special....and it's doing just fine.

What board are you using...some boards don't o/c well.

You really need to loosen your timings...please try that and let us know.

There seems to be something else going on here that we don't know about...but then you just might have gone as far as that chip and board will allow.

The spec of my ram is 250MHz @ 2-2-2-6 (Mushkin Redline PC4000 2x512) and running it on a DFI LP Ultra D using the 704-2BTA Bios.

Perhaps the cpu just doesnt go higher.

Oh yes with is new hardware I'm having cold boot issues, typical.

Hey, rangi....well, I did some reading about your Mushkin Redline memory...that is some great stuff!! From what I read, you may not need to loosen those timings like I was suggesting....I guess it goes to show that having proper knowledge is important when trying to help someone with a situation!!

I'll have to say that I'm fresh out of ideas....this is over my little bit of knowledge head....but...I'm still curious why using a divider didn't seem to help any....I sure would have thought that with such a good board and that super ram that you could have squeezed some more from that chip....

I'm as suprised as you are stevejr.

Memory dividers havent given me joy at all, I get better performance allround at 1:1. Lessening the timings... I have tried many variations, the DFI board has alot of ram timing settings so, sofar I have researched what others have used for different frequencies with some success, though I will allways want for more...

My previous CPU which was a Venice 3200+ LBBWE 0551GPMW, could only go up to 2.65GHz 1.6V. I had it at 2.6GHz 1.525V 24/7. This is with a A64 Freezer Pro, which performs similar to the stock Opteron heatsinks.

It could be your CPU has reached its max, since you said dividers don't help at all.

rangi said:
I'm sure this cpu can do more, as I have tested this using 2x256 Muskin blk lvl2 Bh5's over 2.6GHz.

Are you saying that using different RAM, you're able to OC over 2.6GHz?

shilent, I used some TCCD Gskill stuff to test before hand, no made no difference clock wise, with the Mushkin Redline I have way better/tighter timings, though with alot more voltage.

Back