• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Via KT880dual channel Chipset for Athlon XP

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

7keys

I just read about the Via KT880dual channel Chipset for Athlon XP.
Are there any boards on this chip set yet as I would really like to see a review on it.

This is from VIA's site

VIA KT880

Bringing Dual Channel DRR400 and Native Serial ATA/RAID to the AMD Athlon XP Processor Platform.

The VIA KT880 chipset delivers DualStream64™ dual channel DDR400 memory performance and the advanced connectivity of the VT8237 South Bridge to the AMD Athlon XP processor platform. Building on the award-winning, market leading position of the VIA KT Series chipsets, the KT880 is designed and built to meet the demanding requirements of high bandwidth 3D gaming and digital media applications. The KT880 is paired with the acclaimed VT8237 South Bridge to offer category-leading features like the new VIA DualStream64™ dual channel DDR400 memory controller, AGP 8X, 400MHz FSB, Native Serial ATA/RAID, in addition to VIA Vinyl Gold audio and Gigabit Ethernet when paired with VIA companion controllers.

Harnessing a host of intuitive technologies, the VIA DualStream64™ memory controller enables lightning fast access to dual 64-bit channels of DDR memory, optimizing system performance through an enhanced data prefetch protocol and improved memory branch predictions. Further performance enhancements include a larger on-chip branch table and a tighter read/write turn-around for improved clock timings.

Featuring the VIA DriveStation™ Controller Suite, the VIA VT8237 South Bridge provides the most comprehensive support for high-performance integrated storage interface technologies available on the AMD Socket A platform. In addition to enabling high-speed 150MB/s dual channel connections to Serial ATA Hard Drives while retaining support for up to four Parallel ATA-133 devices, it combines exceptionally fast disk data transfer rates and optimal data integrity with easy installation and manageability through V-RAID, the first native RAID controller integrated into a South Bridge supporting multiple RAID 0, RAID 1, RAID 0+1, and JBOD configurations. The VT8237 also features the VIA Vinyl Multichannel Audio Suite for superlative 6-channel and 8-channel immersion audio. VIA's Advanced Connectivity Suite also offers a host of high-bandwidth connectivity options, including support for the VIA Velocity™ Gigabit Ethernet companion controller, integrated 10/100Mbps Fast Ethernet and up to eight high-speed USB 2.0 ports

http://www.via.com.tw/en/k7-series/kt880.jsp

Well I guess this is Via’s last kick at the can for the Athlon XP. I’m a little surprised that they would put out another Chipset for it so late in the game but they probably feel they have to avenge themselves after the poor performance of the KT 600, at least compared to the Nforce 2 chipset. My bet is that it will have better performance than the Nforce 2 chipset. I mean, let’s face it, Via must win or stay home, if it doesn’t beat the Nforce two Chipset performance, why even bother?

I’ll bet this chipset is developed for the enthusiast market to steal the crown from NVIDIA so I think it will have a lock. Although if it doesn’t have a lock it better have extremely better performance or it might not go over so well.

I read that there will be boards based on this chipset coming out at the end of March, so we will see then.

Both Nvidia(IDE issue) and VIA(686b) have had problems with their chipsets. I'm gonna wait and see if one has anymore "glitches". If it solid then it's gonna steal the performance crown back. AMD should make their own chipsets and stop relying on 3rd Party companies. Intel has some of the best chipsets on the market.

Soft Menu adjustments for the Abit KV7II Via KT880 board

CPU FSB range
- CPU FSB range: 100, 101, 102……..MHz by 1MHz every step

DDR Vcc adjustment range
- 2.55V, 2.65V, 2.75V, 2.85V, 2.95V, 3.05V, 3.15V, 3.25V

FSB:AGP:pCI Ratio
- [3:2:1], [4:2:1], [5:2:1], [6:2:1]

Multiplier Factor
[x5], [x5.5] , [x6], [x6.5], [x7], [x7.5], [x8], [x8.5], [x9], .., [x17], [x18], etc

CPU Core Voltage
[1.100V]~[1.800V], by 0.025V every Step

CPU FSB/DRAM ratio
- [1:1], [3:4], [3:5], [3:6], [4:3], [4:5], [4:6], [5:3], [5:4], [5:6], [6:3], [6:4], [6:5], [By SPD]

Multiplier Factor
- [x8], [x10], [x11], [x12], .., [x22], [x23], [x24], etc….

ABIT O.C.P. CPU Over Temperature Protect
- 85°C, 95°C, 100°C

Voltage
- 1.5 ~ 1.8V

At Tom's hardware, the engineering sample from via eked out a slight lead ahead of nf2 in most things. I hope there is even greater performance from the motherboard versions released by vendors.

7keys said:
Soft Menu adjustments for the Abit KV7II Via KT880 board

CPU FSB range
- CPU FSB range: 100, 101, 102……..MHz by 1MHz every step

DDR Vcc adjustment range
- 2.55V, 2.65V, 2.75V, 2.85V, 2.95V, 3.05V, 3.15V, 3.25V

FSB:AGP:pCI Ratio
- [3:2:1], [4:2:1], [5:2:1], [6:2:1]

Multiplier Factor
[x5], [x5.5] , [x6], [x6.5], [x7], [x7.5], [x8], [x8.5], [x9], .., [x17], [x18], etc

CPU Core Voltage
[1.100V]~[1.800V], by 0.025V every Step

CPU FSB/DRAM ratio
- [1:1], [3:4], [3:5], [3:6], [4:3], [4:5], [4:6], [5:3], [5:4], [5:6], [6:3], [6:4], [6:5], [By SPD]

Multiplier Factor
- [x8], [x10], [x11], [x12], .., [x22], [x23], [x24], etc….

ABIT O.C.P. CPU Over Temperature Protect
- 85°C, 95°C, 100°C

Voltage
- 1.5 ~ 1.8V

Again with the cpu ratios. Is a pci and agp lock really that hard to implement? Does via even care that it's customers have been asking for that?

gordon said:

Again with the cpu ratios. Is a pci and agp lock really that hard to implement?

I suppose it is because you would think if they could do it they would. After looking at the review at Toms there doesn’t seem to be much difference in performance between the Nforce2 and the Via KT880 chipset so without a lock the enthusiast market should stay with the Nforce2, unless board makers can tweak a little more performance out of it. I guess we will see when the boards supporting this chipset start appearing.

Remember that Tom's got an engineering sample that wouldn't be anything like the production boards made by vendors. Engineering boards have proven to put up a lot less of a fight compared the production boards. It is neck and neck with nforce2 at an early stage. pci lock isn't that big of an issue. At 236Mhz fsb, the pci is 39Mhz. Not good if you are into super high fsb's, but should be sufficient for most.

Back