• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Vio1's New Project (PICS)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Vio1

Hi guys,

Ive designed a new case for myself. Tried to make a 3d model (never done that before) of it before i will build it. This is something i will start to build (hopefully) early next year, as right now im moving from Montreal to Toronto with my fiance, and i need to find work, and settle down first. Tell me what you think:

Its made out of blue plexi glass (if it exists), except for the back, which will be a mesh type wall so air can travel through. The inspiration for this case is to have an enclosed computer, without the negative effects of having air trapped inside and warming up the system (like is currently happening to my present case).
I wanted air to enter, and exit as quickly as possible, and as efficently as possible, only cooling a few things before coming out.

Its hard to tell, but between the bottom and top section, i created a little space (between the bottom of the motherboard, and above the psu/hdd) so that it acts like a thermas, so heat from the bottom doesnt effect the stuff above.

Another thing i wanted to do is keep the case as small as possible, so the entire case is just wider then the motherboard, and just taller then my a thermalright 120 extreme on the motherboard.

The fans on the top section are 120mm fans, while the bottom fans are 92mm

1.jpg

2.gif

3.gif

4.gif

5.gif

6.gif

7.gif

8.gif

Last edited:
VERY neat!!

/subscribed

I've always wanted to build my own case :-/

Denbob99 said:
This will be impressive. What do you intend to use as the chassis?

plexiglass or some kind of acrylic

anyone have experience with that stuff? How do you cut it? finish it? How do you bong the parts together?

I'd use alu angle for the corners and polycarbonate for the plasticy bits. jigsaw/hacksaw works for good cutting.

Vio1, that's awesome, truely an inspiration for the rest of us. What did you use to make your 3D model, its fantastic! Is that AutoCAD or something?

You can score and snap plexi quite easily, and then theres flame polishing for the edges, I think theres a really good sticky on here about working with plexi, well worth reading even if you've worked with it before. Can't wait to see this finished - looks awesome:)

Certainly looks like Google Sketchup, but I didn't know you could get prefabs of computer bits
- an I thought you were all so much better at G S than me:bang head

That is a excellent job of making the 3d model and since it is your first time doing it that makes it all the better!

\Subscribed/

Roomy... I've about had it with mid towers. If I'm going to be mucking about in my computer every month, which it appears I will, then I want more room. I've already broke off the little plastic retention tab for the VC, because you can't get to it without removing the cpu cooler.

Very nice. I like the modeling... The plexi makes for some very interesting lighting options for the inside of the case.

thnx guys

can i use a hole saw to cut out fan holes?
any time of plexi glass or arcylic that is hard to use (cracks easily) and i should avoid?

I remember a few years ago i bought some plexiglass from Home Depot and had a hard time with it. It was creating small little cracks, and was a real pain.

Back