• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Vista 64bit, 9800GX2, and dual monitors.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

JonSimonzi

So after the recent price cuts on the GX2's, I really started to read into using a multiple GPU card, and a 2nd card for a 2nd monitor. Here is a blurb straight off of Microsoft's website. Sorry about the length:

"
Homogeneous Multi-adapter

Multi-adapter refers to the use of more than one graphics adapter in a single PC. The term "homogeneous multi-adapter" is used to refer to cases when more than one graphics adapter is in use but all adapters use the same graphics driver.

Here are two examples:

Two identical cards from the same graphics hardware vendor - for example, two PCIe ATI Radeon x600 cards, each in an x16 PCIe slot.

Two different cards from the same graphics hardware vendor - for example, one PCIe NVIDIA GeForce 7600 in an x16 slot and another PCIe NVIDIA GeForce 6600 in a second x16 slot.

Notice that the bus type - PCIe, AGP, or PCI - is irrelevant. You could have "n" cards in "n" PCIe slots of the same or different lane widths, or you could have "n-m" cards in PCIe slots and "m" cards in PCI slots. The key point to remember is that all "n" graphics adapters use a single graphics driver.

Heterogeneous Multi-adapter

The term "heterogeneous multi-adapter" is used to refer to multiple graphics adapters using multiple graphics drivers in a single PC. A common example is the use of graphics adapters from two different manufacturers, each of which requires a different graphics driver from the respective manufacturer.
Top of pageTop of page

Multimonitor Support before WDDM

Although Windows NT 4.0 did not have native multi-monitor support in the operating system, graphics hardware vendors could incorporate some level of support through their customized graphics drivers, software utilities, or both.

Windows 2000 provided some native support for management of multiple displays to present the desktop. Windows XP took this a step further through the Windows XP Display Driver Model (XPDM) to support multiple graphics cards natively and provided the hardware vendors with the proper means to offer support in their drivers.
Top of pageTop of page

Multimonitor Support in WDDM

On Windows Vista, older XPDM drivers still work and the multi-monitor behavior with XPDM drivers hasn't changed, because the operating system uses the legacy graphics stack.

However, the Windows Vista Display Driver Model (WDDM) brings fundamental changes to the management of multiple graphics adapters and external displays. This includes a new restriction, because WDDM drivers do not support "heterogeneous multi-adapter" multi-monitor implementations. Specifically:

All graphics adapters in a system must use the same display driver model. That is, all of them should either be running XPDM or WDDM. The driver models are mutually exclusive, and Windows Vista does not allow the simultaneous loading of both an XPDM driver and a WDDM driver.

If a system has one graphics adapter with a XPDM driver and another with a WDDM driver, then Windows Vista will choose the POST device, which is the one with VGA resources. This is commonly referred to as the "VGA adapter."

If multiple graphics adapters are present in a system, all of them must use the same WDDM driver. If there are two graphics adapters with WDDM drivers from two different manufacturers, then Windows will disable one of them. The VGA adapter will be enabled, and the second device will be disabled.

Notice that XPDM drivers still support heterogeneous multi-adapter as they did in Windows XP. A user who has such a configuration working fine in Windows XP will encounter a problem when upgrading to Windows Vista. An external monitor connected to one of the graphics adapters will have no video signal, because it is disabled. An error message will appear on system boot, as described later in this article.

The solution for this problem could be as follows:

A user could force the installation of a XPDM driver for each of these devices, and therefore get heterogeneous multi-adapter multi-monitor to work as in Windows XP.

-Or-

The user could change the graphics hardware configuration by choosing multiple graphics adapters that use the same WDDM driver. Graphics adapters from the same ASIC family generally have the same graphics driver. In late 2006, each of the major graphics vendors had a single WDDM driver for all supported WDDM graphics adapters. Please consult the graphics vendor's Web site for details on their driver support.
"

Now I'm confused as hell after reading that. But let me ask some experts knowledge here and see if I have it straight.
I have a 9800GX2 in PCI-E slot running, running with it's SLI enabled, running on 175.16 drivers, powering my 24" monitor. Now in PCI-E slot number 2, I have something like this card, using the same 175.16 driver, powering my 2nd monitor. Per that Microsoft article, would that work? Would the fact that one is SLI enabled matter? Does anyone have experience with this, dual monitors in a SLI environment? Thanks in advance :)

all this comes down to, is in VISTA you need to have video cards of the same brand (nvidia or ati) as they will use the same gfx driver for both cards.

So you can't run a 4870 and a 9800GTX in the same system under VISTA.

I got that much out of the article, but I'm curious if one of those cards is a multi GPU card running in SLI (the GX2), would that throw things off?

Hmm. Well an example would be 9800GX2 and a 9800GTX in the system. Your wondering if the 9800GTX would become a SLI'ed due to the fact that 9800GX2 is running SLI right?

Guess thats a sticky situation if thats the case, while you need to hook up the cards togeather for SLI, but not sure exactly how that would work.

Hmm. Well an example would be 9800GX2 and a 9800GTX in the system. Your wondering if the 9800GTX would become a SLI'ed due to the fact that 9800GX2 is running SLI right?

Guess thats a sticky situation if thats the case, while you need to hook up the cards togeather for SLI, but not sure exactly how that would work.

Sort of. In that example you gave, I'm not worried about the 9800GTX becoming SLI'ed as there is no link to them. I'm worried about the presence of a 2nd video card effecting the 9800GX2. Making it unable to run with it's cores linked or something. In the actual setup I'm trying to investigate would be the 9800GX2 running as it should, and something cheap like a 6200LE, just whatever I can get for cheap that would use the same drivers as the 9800GX2. I know the 6 series will run off the same 175.XX drivers as the GX2. Just worried about how Vista will handle both the cards, with one running with linked cores.

This is what I got from a member on EVGA's forums:

Even though nvidia drivers won't show any SLI options in the games profiles , you can use nhancer to change SLI settings.
"
How it goes:

* Disable SLI and install the third card for your second monitor

* Disable the third card in device manager

* Enable SLI (You should restart pc after this step)

* Enable the third card in device manager

THIS WILL WORK!!
"

Although I'm just going to get a GX2, and use one monitor until the 180 drivers are out in September.

Back