• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Vista x64 did a System restore, now my physical & virtual DVD drives do not work!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Satsumomo

Vista x64 did a System restore, now my physical & virtual DVD drives do not work!

Hey guys! Well Vista decided to corrupt my registry after I powered my computer down (Too weird, maybe my HDD is failing?) and anyways, it decided to do a system restore. Now my DVD drive shows up in the Device manager with a Yellow exclamation sign, and Daemon Tools doesn't work either (I get a SCSI CD Rom drive in Device manager, not working as well). I tried uninstalling Daemon tools and reinstalling it, to see if that would help and it didn't. I disconnected the DVD drive and reconnected it, Vista found it, but after it started installing it, it just says "Installation for this device has failed".

I'm thinking it's a registry problem? What can I do?

it did a restore on it's own ? didnt know it could do that...

did try to uninstall dameon tools and other similar apps?

Sorta, it told me to run the "Repair windows" option from the install disk, and while it did so, it said it was going to perform a system restore, and that I would lose some configuration settings, blah blah.

I did uninstall Daemon tools, rebooted and nothing happened. I reinstalled Daemon tools and still the problem persisted.

Certainly sounds like a software issue to me. Out of curiosity, is your physical optical an IDE or SATA drive?

Here's what I would do. First, make sure your BIOS is set to boot from cd-rom, and stick a bootable disc in there, any bootable disc. Restart it and see if it boots. If it seems to boot from the cd-rom just fine, that pins down a Windows issue. If it doesn't boot, then try a different SATA cable and try a different SATA port (I know you said you disconnected it, but did you plug it back into the same channel?).

Here's what I would do. First, make sure your BIOS is set to boot from cd-rom, and stick a bootable disc in there, any bootable disc. Restart it and see if it boots. If it seems to boot from the cd-rom just fine, that pins down a Windows issue. If it doesn't boot, then try a different SATA cable and try a different SATA port (I know you said you disconnected it, but did you plug it back into the same channel?).

Good idea! The BIOS does recognize the drive, but I haven't tried having it try to boot. I reconnected it into the same channel, no good, then I tried another channel, same result..

Edit: Ok, I rebooted and yes, the system did try to boot from DVD when I had my Vista DVD inserted.

Last edited:
Did it boot the Vista disc normally? If so...

I typically do not have patience to sort out Windows issues such as this, and often resort to a reinstall (albeit far and few between). There is however likely to be a way to fix it without going through all that. I will stand down.

No problem, I just ordered 2 WD Blacks, I plan on installing Vista on a Raid setup there, so I should just wait it out until they arrive :) Thanks!

Back