• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Voltage Drop Caused by Peltier Module

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

R. Williams

I have rebuilt an old "Solid Stat Cooler" (Peltier unit) by installing two new 40mm modules (significantly larger than the original modules). I bench tested the completed unit using a 12v 12amp power supply and noted that, when the unit was operating, my meter read 11.2 v and the unit was drawing 10amps. It did not seem to be cooling or heating very much at all!

I disassembled the unit & metered both modules individually with the same findings. One full volt drop on each module! (slightly greater than 12v is recommended for optimal effect)

Am I missing something basic but important? Or should I be looking for a different vendor of TEC modules?

Thanks.

RW

Combination of cheap over spec'ed TEC's and an under powered PSU.

Thank you for your input. Can you elaborate, please?
I'm pretty confident in my PSU. It has performed without issue many, many times on other projects.
Can you recommend a vendor of a better quality TEC's?
RW

A solid performing PSU doesn't guarantee properly regulated power under heavy loads. I've had PSUs that (when not pressed hard) did just fine in day to day tasks. Drop a steady high demand load on them and they overheat and s*** the bed. I'm hoping Silver Surfer will pop in and contribute on the subject of peltiers. That guy has more experience in the vault than most of us will ever acquire.

When running a TEC on a standard PSU, you want to run the yellow and black. From the read, you where using the Red line and probably why the TECs didn't seem to be heating (or cooling) very well.

It would be wise to actively cool the cables to the TEC as they will be a fire hazard and never leave left alone.

Have used TECs on a chiller, but the results and power consumption really wasn't a big payoff. Did mostly experimenting with direct contact or plated right on the cpu. If memory serves, was able to run FX chips 2 cores at or around 5ghz with as little as 1.35v'(ish) while maintaining a frozen idle temperature and even stay frozen during a Pi or Wprime 32m.

The TECs I used where TEC # 12715 Qmax of 136w - Temp difference (from cold side to hot) = Tmax 70c - 15v Max current. Max operating temp of 90c.

Any how, good luck with your adventures with TECs.

Back