• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Voltage for 8800GTS and GTX?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
OBLIVIONLORD said:
What is the stock voltage for the 8800GTS and GTX for the 680i chipset. Thanks

Huh??? The MB chipset has nothing to do with the stock voltages the GFX card run at. Think ya just need to rephrase your question a bit.

Viper

whats the stock voltage of the 8800GTS/GTX cards and how much would they differ on a 975 chipset mobo vs a 680i chipset mobo in terms of voltage requirement or does it matter at all? The mobo itself is what draws the power from the PSU and I would think that the configuration of a 975 chipset and 680i chipset mobos would differ even though they are the highest in their categories of chipsets.

OBLIVIONLORD said:
whats the stock voltage of the 8800GTS/GTX cards and how much would they differ on a 975 chipset mobo vs a 680i chipset mobo in terms of voltage requirement or does it matter at all? The mobo itself is what draws the power from the PSU and I would think that the configuration of a 975 chipset and 680i chipset mobos would differ even though they are the highest in their categories of chipsets.

MB chipset doesn't effect the voltage supplied to the card by it's on card power supplies.

Viper

I could be wrong, but I think he wants to know what the core voltages are. Either way, the mobo does not determine the voltages to the cores. The cards them self do. Like viper already said.

--pak

So according to that chart we are looking at core voltages for the 8800GTS to be at 168w and load at 244w?

How is this possible when the PCI-E standard slot itself allows between 60W and 75w to a graphics card without the need for an additional power connector? Each 6-pin PCI-E connector can provide another 75W. So a PCI-E GFX card with a 6-pin power connector attached can draw up to 150W max and if 2 plugs are used then 225w max.

How is that chart valid if the technical aspect of things only allows 225max at best for 1 single card requiring 2 pci-e connections when on those charts it shows a 8800GTX drawing 301w load? Unless they are refering to total system wattage using the absolute least amount of devices. Even if that's the case then how is that an accurate estimation of the videocard draw when the CPU and other subsystems usage goes up as well? If they put the PC under load without the discrete GFX card, measure PC wattage, then put the card in and measure it then, I'd consider those results to be fairly accurate.

I like the way xbit labs rates their videocard wattage draw with extreme accuracy as described on page 2 & 3 here...
http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/video/display/ati-powercons_2.html
Maybe an old test but, still nice none the less. Don't know if they are testing videocard wattage these days.

Last edited:
What the chart shows is watts consumed by the video card at both idle and load.

I don't know what the core voltage is... but those charts show consumption.

corrected. haven't had my coffee yet. lol

Last edited:
http://www.anandtech.com/video/showdoc.aspx?i=2873&p=7

"Because we are measuring the wattage of the entire system and not simply the cards, we can only get a general idea of the type of power levels of these cards."

Well according to that anandtech test which they do infact test out the wattage for the total system power.. even though this is not exactly accurate, am I to asume that the 8800GTX Sparkle Calibre is using 108 or so watts alone?

Last edited:
Back