• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Volts ok? FSP400-60GN

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

moho

I wanna title tooo !
new volts:
5.33 the highest usually around 5.3
are these fine to run the rig in my sig?
are they too high to run?

my 5 and 12v line are on teh same POT, so i figured i'd have the 5V a little high than the 12V low.

whadya think?

oh yes, i tested my power output with a multimeter, so...

Last edited:
If you are adjusting the voltages, try to get a multimeter. You can get one for a few dollars just about anywhere. The mobo sensors are usually off, sometimes high, sometimes they are low, but they usually aren't accurate enough for adjusting the voltages.

electrorcamd said:
If you are adjusting the voltages, try to get a multimeter. You can get one for a few dollars just about anywhere. The mobo sensors are usually off, sometimes high, sometimes they are low, but they usually aren't accurate enough for adjusting the voltages.

PLEASE PLEASE READ THAT!!! ^^

You should really NOT be adjusting your voltages from what the sofware monitor says. What if it's off .5 or even more? You could be pushin 6v out your 5v rail and this would not be good.

J

EWBatOVAclockin said:
Which fortron is that. The bluestorm?? If its the other one then where are the adjustable pots?? Thanks

PEACE
no, its not a bluestorm, the pots are inside.
its this one:
http://www.svcompucycle.com/fsp400-60gn.html
i bought this exact one about a month ago from them.

i will have to redo the pots, but is the 5V too high to run the comp,or is it ok at least until i can readjust them?
EDIT:
PICS:
power1.jpg

Last edited:
5.4v is too high IMO.
As close to ATX spec as possible is a good thing.
Overvolting only compensates for fluctuations and too high will put undue load the
onboard regulators.

moho said:
posted new volts after readjusting the POTS.
whaddya think?

hello moho,

search function works once again :)

i also have an fsp400-60gn with real low 12v @ 11.45 and 5v is ok.

what pots did you use to adjust them? here's the only other link i found regarding this http://www.xtremeresources.com/forums/showthread.php?t=21333

i want to confirm. this psu will go in an abit nf7-s v2, 2x256 bh5 and a super power hungry gainward golden sample fx5900 which will eventually be flashed into a fx5950 and then clocked some more.

eddie

If your Fortron is really making 11.45V on the 12V it is either faulty or heavily overloaded. They come set from 11.89V-12V every time. If you aren't using a multimeter, do so. If you are, either buy a bigger supply, a smaller system, or RMA it.

larva said:
If your Fortron is really making 11.45V on the 12V it is either faulty or heavily overloaded. They come set from 11.89V-12V every time. If you aren't using a multimeter, do so. If you are, either buy a bigger supply, a smaller system, or RMA it.

thanks for your input larva also the psu fan is really slow, is it possible that it was tuned down?

i'm reading on adjusting the pots for the 12v rail. i have a power hungry fx5900, 1 x ata100 30gb, cdrom, floppy and 3 fans.

i can't rma it or get a refund, it was given to me.

That supply uses a rather stout 80mm fan on a temperature-controlled circuit. Under no load or temperature the fan may spin slowly, the test would be to develop some load and temp and see if it speeds up. I don't think there is a manual adjustment other than the fan fitted or possible re-positioning of the thermister that is measuring the temperature.

The FX5900 powers the GPU from the 5V line, I believe, so it will not factor as directly into the loading of the 12V as say, a 6800 would.

Are you testing this supply under load? If there is no load on the supply the regulation scheme will not function correctly. If you feel that the 12V pot has been turned way down, I'd try turning it up, but keep a sharp eye on the 5V at the same time.

larva said:
That supply uses a rather stout 80mm fan on a temperature-controlled circuit. Under no load or temperature the fan may spin slowly, the test would be to develop some load and temp and see if it speeds up. I don't think there is a manual adjustment other than the fan fitted or possible re-positioning of the thermister that is measuring the temperature.

The FX5900 powers the GPU from the 5V line, I believe, so it will not factor as directly into the loading of the 12V as say, a 6800 would.

Are you testing this supply under load? If there is no load on the supply the regulation scheme will not function correctly. If you feel that the 12V pot has been turned way down, I'd try turning it up, but keep a sharp eye on the 5V at the same time.

thanks larva, i will invest in a multi meter and start doing so, i was check the rails in the bios and also everest home edition.

when i run p95 and a new loop starts to run i see the vcore/12v and the 5v drop a little. i leave everest home edition "sensor" option open when i'm p95'ing.

as you stated this is not an accurate or correct way of observing the performance of my psu. in the bios the 12v reads 11.68-11.73.

i'll be heading towars a fry's or radio shack for a multi-meter, any particle

brand or options i should look for? i plan on v-modding in the future as well.

I like everest home, it is the best tool of its kind IMO. It's just that the information it reads may be innacurrate. But it would appear like your 12V is low, I'd just understand that it is usually low from overload. Adjust away if you can keep the 5V reasonable at the same time, I'm just fairly certain a new power supply powerful enough not to droop will help a lot more.

As far as meters go, the real name is Fluke. They make the only ones that are for sure good enough to be worth much extra money. It takes about $99 to get a basic Fluke, but it is worth the investment if you intend to work with circuitry as well as basic connection concerns. If knowing you are spending smart money means as much to you as the absolute economy of the solution, a Fluke is the only way to fly. They have many models with differing types of advanced and specialized functions as well as rock-solid measurment capabilities, including data logging and other types or measurment beyond the basic DMM functions (such as temperature or frequency) for more money.

http://stores.yahoo.com/tmt/ser7eltes.html

Beyond Fluke, if the meter is built well and solid it will probably contain circuitry very much like any other at that general price/feature set. I have a Blue Point (a SnapOn company) that is OK, but it's certainly not Fluke quality and probably originally cost about as much.

Last edited:
larva said:
I like everest home, it is the best tool of its kind IMO. It's just that the information it reads may be innacurrate. But it would appear like your 12V is low, I'd just understand that it is usually low from overload. Adjust away if you can keep the 5V reasonable at the same time, I'm just fairly certain a new power supply powerful enough not to droop will help a lot more.

As far as meters go, the real name is Fluke. They make the only ones that are for sure good enough to be worth much extra money. It takes about $99 to get a basic Fluke, but it is worth the investment if you intend to work with circuitry as well as basic connection concerns. If knowing you are spending smart money means as much to you as the absolute economy of the solution, a Fluke is the only way to fly. They have many models with differing types of advanced and specialized functions as well as rock-solid measurment capabilities, including data logging and other types or measurment beyond the basic DMM functions (such as temperature or frequency) for more money.

http://stores.yahoo.com/tmt/ser7eltes.html

Beyond Fluke, if the meter is built well and solid it will probably contain circuitry very much like any other at that general price/feature set. I have a Blue Point (a SnapOn company) that is OK, but it's certainly not Fluke quality and probably originally cost about as much.

fluke it is, i will see if i can pick one up, i plan on doing all the v-mods available for my nf7-s v2.

and learning how to mod the antec true power 430's.

i'll be a fluke aor a well optioned multi-meter like you suggested but a fluke is my goal.

thank you again :)

Back