• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

VRM overheat but they are cold

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Depends on your needs/how you use the PC....

But AMD 5000 series and X570 is the way to go... until we see what Rocket Lake can do on Z590. ;)

I will use it just for gaming, sometimes i run something like cad or vegas, but this stuff can run well on cpu from trash so you know hah, i will be glad when that cpu will be had desced overlock potential and thats all, wattage doesnt matter. I lwill ike to have quad channel memory but i can live without it.

Any of those will be a sizable upgrade for you. Intel trends to overclock better but ryzen kicks the crap out of Intel most times these days.

In some applications it might, but generally overall, no. There is a new king...for now.

https://www.overclockers.com/intel-core-i9-10900k-and-i5-10600k-cpu-review-the-core-wars-continue/

Pushing the Limits
This time we went for a maximum overclock with a semi-reasonable voltage that would allow us to run some benchmarks. At 5.3 GHz with 1.46 V we were able to complete both Cinebench R20 and R15 as well as Fire Strike Extreme. It did, however, fail to run Intel XTU benchmark and froze the system requiring a reset. As you can see it offered some significant gains over the stock operation bumping our Cinebench R20 score up to 6812 from 6274 at stock. It still wasn’t quite enough to catch the Ryzen 3900X with 6952 running at stock settings.

In some applications it might, but generally overall, no. There is a new king...for now.

https://www.overclockers.com/intel-core-i9-10900k-and-i5-10600k-cpu-review-the-core-wars-continue/

So i thing i will go for ryzen in my next setup :D Or if intel make amazing 11gen i will stay on intel xD.
Btw i found on yt that one guy put thermal paste beetwen heatsink and mosfets instand thermal pad and temps drop from 100c to 80c. That is safe and i can expect same drop like him? (I will use thermal grizzly kryonaut i have 1g after my pc build and i read its not electric conductive)

If you're VRMs aren't overheating...why are we applying paste to them? That will also likely void the warranty on the board if it has one. I mean, you CAN do it, I just don't see the point. :)

If you're VRMs aren't overheating...why are we applying paste to them? That will also likely void the warranty on the board if it has one. I mean, you CAN do it, I just don't see the point. :)

The problem is they are overheat haha, I create this post to solve it ;) like im not 100% sure but on 1.50vcore on stress test the board display drmos alarm and after few second pc shut down like when you put out the cable from psu, and after that pc restart and when i get into a bios after few second it do same thing (shut down, turn on) I describe that in my previus posts, or meaby i tried to describe xD, so i repeat important things mosfets going to 80c but heatsink cant go over 32 i use laser termomet almost same as medician use for measure your body temp for c0v1d.

OOps.. for some reason I thought you said that wasn't the issue. 80C for MOSFETs is fine.

It may not be heat, but just too much power for the VRMs... but 80C is fine. Tyipcally these are good to over 100C.

OOps.. for some reason I thought you said that wasn't the issue. 80C for MOSFETs is fine.

It may not be heat, but just too much power for the VRMs... but 80C is fine. Tyipcally these are good to over 100C.
I dont have best english so maybe that's my fault are you readed something wrong ;D well i dont looked that way, its that possible to check that? I read that my board have some high quality vrm so i dont thing is that possibe. But drmos alarm lights only when they are overheat (according to the manual).

I don't know which exact IC is used on that board for the VRMs. But if you take off the heatsink and look on the IC, it will tell you the model # and you can look it up. That said, it's 'only' a 5+2 configuration so it isn't the greatest motherboard to overclock in the first place. It is possible the sensor is going bad... I mean that mobo is almost 10 years old.

If I was you, I would email MSI and ask about it. Tell them that software is reading less than 80C but your're getting thermal warnings for DrMOS. Ask what the temperature threshold is.

I don't know which exact IC is used on that board for the VRMs. But if you take off the heatsink and look on the IC, it will tell you the model # and you can look it up. That said, it's 'only' a 5+2 configuration so it isn't the greatest motherboard to overclock in the first place. It is possible the sensor is going bad... I mean that mobo is almost 10 years old.

If I was you, I would email MSI and ask about it. Tell them that software is reading less than 80C but your're getting thermal warnings for DrMOS. Ask what the temperature threshold is.

Sound like a good plan, i will ask them but i dont think so they are still have active support for that board, when i get answer i will come back here ;)
P.S i removed heat sink i dont know much about electronic but my friend tell me that its 5 phases for cpu so you are correct

Take a picture of the ICs and post it here (you need to be in advanced to host here). I can tell you if you can get a clear image of the writing on them.

Take a picture of the ICs and post it here (you need to be in advanced to host here). I can tell you if you can get a clear image of the writing on them.

I m stupid and i disassemblied and assambly my board without doint a photo :)))) I dont know is that legal but i found my motherboard photos in internet i will post them, if that illegal pls delete this without ban xD msi_x79a_gd65_8d_10+2 phase.jpg msi_x79a_gd65_8d_5+2 phasecontrol.jpg

That doesn't show what we want to see. We have to see the writing on the ICs/MOSFETs.........the black squares.

That doesn't show what we want to see. We have to see the writing on the ICs/MOSFETs.........the black squares.

So there is a problem, i can do that but not today, I will search the internet.

- - - Auto-Merged Double Post - - -

But i have boardview for friendly board x79 gd45, i will check that

r2j20655np_qfn40-hf

This is what boardview shows

- - - Auto-Merged Double Post - - -

Yes they are same, on both boards, i found that information on chinesse site

Back