• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

VRM overheating, throttling i7 ivybridge

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Some data points:
With the rear 120mm case fan detached and blowing at the VRMs at an angle, throttling would improve but not disappear. Since the board was pushing Vcore of 1.33 under load at 'auto' for 44x, I went down to a negative offset such that peak draw is closer to 1.3v, reducing throttling further but not eliminating it.
At this point I should probably drop the offset as far as I can to be stable at 44x and call it a day.

Going the other way, up, it looks like I'm hitting a voltage wall. 46x after upping offset to get 1.4v at load still crashed small FFT fairly quickly. I was hoping for 47x, which may need ~1.45v but probably not with this board.

Or I can get creative with a dremel/hacksaw and fab bigger sinks for the vrm's from some old socket A parts.

Just try try thinker thermal pads from 3M:): https://www.3m.com/3M/en_US/company...terface-Pad-5519/?N=5002385+3294001841&rt=rud

That video was a bit dramatic. I've reviewed around 12 X299 motherboards and none showed VRM throttling with a 7900X at 4.5Ghz on an open air test bench (Running latest P95). Wait, maybe a Mini ITX board did? I don't recall off-hand.

Similar experience here.

Sorry but I call all that disaster pretty much BS. I've tested couple of X299 boards including ITX one and none of them had throttling issues. Maybe it happens when someone tries to run 10 core+ CPU on air/water at 1.35V+ but at least 7900X won't be stable because of heat that CPU generates.
Standard settings of most motherboards will always cause throttling but it's not because VRM but because of Intel specs. Manual settings with higher power limits were never throttling for me, regardless if it was 3DMark or Prime95.
Note that I was reviewing and overclocking only ASUS and ASRock motherboards and I've built couple of computers based on MSI boards+7900X/7920X which were not overclocked but run as server/worstations 24/7 for couple of months.

I'll see if I can score some bigger sinks from another version of an asrock z77 board. There are few nonworking 'parts' boards on ebay.

You don't buy parts. The parts you're looking at won't make the board any better.
You buy a better board.

Back