• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

W7 SP2 - Cancelled???

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
M$ seems to make a point in favor of customer service here http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/windows-8-gaming-performance,3331-13.html
Curious about how Microsoft approached Windows 8 differently than older operating systems, which might not have enjoyed such a smooth transition, we approached Chuck Walbourn, senior software development engineer for Microsoft, who reminded us that the company does perform a ton of application compatibility testing. More interesting, though, was a blog post he brought to our attention on MSDN. In short, it tells us that some of the performance, power management, compatibility, and battery efficiency improvements that would have required a service pack update in the past are now being made available through Windows Update much sooner. Thus, it's possible that, in some situations, performance and compatibility will improve on zero-day as a result of Microsoft's new delivery mechanism.
The article is about Windows 8 and gaming , but the last sentence above seems to put the Service Pack issue in a little better light.

I was referring (as was Chuck Walbourn) to Windows Update being a faster and more efficient way to respond to OS issues than Service Packs.
And , yes , I am out of my mind , but I still thought he made a good point.

No business is going to upgrade to windows 8. Are you out of your mind?

Some of them will, but most are only just now starting to test migrations to Windows 7.

When I was working for HUD IT Support this past summer, they were just starting to phase in Windows 7 in 2 office buildings. There were massive issues with the migrations as many 10+ year old kludged together 'hax' for software were broken. Macros got broken. Entire servers lost data. It was a nightmare.

Some of them will, but most are only just now starting to test migrations to Windows 7.

When I was working for HUD IT Support this past summer, they were just starting to phase in Windows 7 in 2 office buildings. There were massive issues with the migrations as many 10+ year old kludged together 'hax' for software were broken. Macros got broken. Entire servers lost data. It was a nightmare.

I have spent the past year upgrading all XP machines to Win7 in my company.
There is no way we will be upgrading to W8, no upgrades will be made for many many years now.

I'd think they should AT LEAST give us a rollup or something. A fresh W7-SP1 install requires an incessant amount of updates.

Incessant refers to repetition, not quantity. I agree with the idea though :)

Actually, incessant IS the right word. Have you ever counted the number of iterations of "Run Update, Download and Install, Reboot, Re-run Update" you have to do with a fresh Windows 7 install? If you don't have a disc with SP1 baked in, you'll do about 4 or 5 rounds, THEN it'll magically figure out there's a Service Pack, then you get to do all the updates after that. Then you'll foolishly install some software that requires .NET or Silverlight, thus triggering a fresh 2+ rounds of the update dance. It takes longer than the actual OS install does by a large factor.

It's silly. If MS could figure out how to get Windows to update closer to what Linux does, I'd be a really happy system builder. With Linux it's one round, done. If MS could get a fresh Win7 install up to date with 3 rounds or less of Windows Update + reboot runaround you'd see far less bitching about this I think. As it stands now it takes at least a few hours just to get a new Win7 install patched. If Win8 turns out to be better in this regard it'll be a major major upgrade in my book.

Windows 8 is vary slow with updates, it takes much longer to install them compared to windows 7.

Back