• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

W8 interface not to horrible

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Psittac

Well I put windows 8 on my desktop just to see what it was like, I got in on the $15 upgrade and I gotta say it's not as horrible as I had imagined.

Between the usage of the full screen feature and a cleaner look I say it's worth getting used to, not to mention it's slightly snappier then 7.

Any interface change sucks because I like what i'm used to, but honestly I think I'll manage.

The start button hasn't left, it's just been re-skined and hidden. The corner where the start button used to be is now the spot that you can move your mouse and pull up a "full screen start menu". The same spot puts you back on the desktop, so it's not gone it just looks different and has some functionality that's tough to get used to.

I like the idea of connecting everything into the "start menu" but wish something like facebook was integrated properly as well as being able to have a google search button.

The overall look of it is much nicer and my animated background is gone but i'm sure stardock will come out with something.

pro: looks clean and full screen
con: hard to get used to (can't even shut down without several clicks or ctrl alt del)

conclusion: worth $15 and if I can't stand it i'll reinstall.

I also heard from a co-worker that in memory intensive applications (games?) there is a performance boost in 8 over 7. I may give it a whirl. Anyone have a link to an upgrade or standalone deal?

Officemax and Amazon had it for $69.99 - $30 store credit = $39.99. I believe Microsoft themselves had a download deal for $39.99.

I installed Windows 8 on my desktop and it's really not too bad. The biggest change is the missing start menu button. You can download and install Classic Shell to get most of this functionality back. Other than that, it feels like a slightly faster version of Windows 7 (in terms of booting up and shutting down).

I don't find Metro UI to be particularly useful on the desktop so I just boot straight into desktop mode with the help of Classic Shell. If I had a x86 tablet, I think the addition of Metro UI would be pretty nice.

I'm kinda getting used to w8 for daily use and the look is growing on me.

performance seams a little snappier but the boot time is almost completely unchanged, typical time in the event log is about 21 seconds, sometimes it takes 28 seconds.

The things that really bother me about the OS are things I haven't had to use yet like the lack of a control panel or the backasswards way you have to search for a file. The shutdown button is ghetto but i'm getting used to it, just a little more mouse movement and an extra click compared to w7.

Also the things I really like, metro, I rarely ever use. Things like ms messenger I don't use and picture viewer etc.

Another annoyance is that if you open a browser inside of the "start" screen it's kept separate from your desktop and you can't minimize it, you have to go back to the start screen and it's kept open in the background. Also if you open Pandora in the start screen it mutes when you leave the browser.

Honestly if I didn't know how to use w7 then maybe w8 would be more intuitive, but I like what I know so it's taking some adjusting.

Maybe it would be intuitive, but as you yourself pointed out, Windows 8 still takes extra clicks.

This problem is resolved if you install classic shell or similar programs. You'll save a few seconds in an hour and you will save a few hours of your valuable time over a longer period.

I got it for 15 bucks, and you can do a clean install so it is worth it for those that dont want to spend alot on a OS

I looked up the $15 thing. Looks like you had to buy a new PC with windows 7 on it to get the $15 upgrade. So it's $40 for most of us. Still not bad for an OS.

after installing windows 8 and using it, i just cant stand it, I put windows 7 back and its soo much better for me.

False- I bought my Windows 7 "upgrade key" when it came out under student discount.

SInce then its been used on my build (in sig) I was able to use 15$ key on that key. So a "new pc" isnt required as long as u run windows 7 it'll upgrade

I looked up the $15 thing. Looks like you had to buy a new PC with windows 7 on it to get the $15 upgrade. So it's $40 for most of us. Still not bad for an OS.

False- I bought my Windows 7 "upgrade key" when it came out under student discount.

SInce then its been used on my build (in sig) I was able to use 15$ key on that key. So a "new pc" isnt required as long as u run windows 7 it'll upgrade

technically it's "supposed" to be a new PC, that's the whole concept behind the $15 upgrade because they didn't want PC sales to drop off from people saying, why buy now and get something that's old when I can wait a few months for something new. I just so happened to get both my PC's in that time frame.

I also heard from a co-worker that in memory intensive applications (games?) there is a performance boost in 8 over 7. I may give it a whirl. Anyone have a link to an upgrade or standalone deal?
I get 92fps in COD MW3 under Win 8 compared to 71 on Win 7 (same settings).

I installed Windows 8 on my desktop and it's really not too bad. The biggest change is the missing start menu button. You can download and install Classic Shell to get most of this functionality back. Other than that, it feels like a slightly faster version of Windows 7 (in terms of booting up and shutting down).

I don't find Metro UI to be particularly useful on the desktop so I just boot straight into desktop mode with the help of Classic Shell. If I had a x86 tablet, I think the addition of Metro UI would be pretty nice.

I found stardock's solution to be much more like the Window Vista/7 Start Menu, and it looks perfect using the new logo as the button. I agree that it is the biggest challenge.

It might be due to 306.97 drivers or Win8/combination but it seems like my min FPS in BF3 has gone from 56 to 60-62 on ultra settings @1080p. I paid $40 and it was worth it. I would recommend everyone jump on the $40 promo and also to sign up for free for the Windows Media Center 8 pack (win 8 pro pack is including this but the website download is free until end of Jan) and just have Win8Pro+Pack for $40 instead of 60+. It's weird how they split them up but fine by me!

From what you all being saying about it win 8 i kinda wait till they kick all the bugs out first, before i decide to jump in. Got a soft spot for Win 7 does what it say's on the tin, just kick back and admire the view from here guy's. AJ :D:thup:

Will most likely do the same. I will hand it to M$ for making this revision cheaper at least.

Back