• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

W8 upgrade, system builder, assistance please

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Papero

I'm currently using Windows 7 system builder, this allows me to install the copy of Windows 7 I purchased on any of my own computers as you all know I'm sure.

If I upgrade to Windows 8 Pro for $39.99, then order the CD, do they give you a full install disc or is a recovery disc? It's all quite vague. A recovery disc would effectively screw me from buying a new PC without paying full price for Windows 8.

Or if I decide to build a new PC, do I use my W7 disc? Install W7, then it recognizes my key as a Windows 8 key and updates to Windows 8? That sounds entirely too nice of MS to do so I doubt that would happen.

Someone asked the question on the MS forum, 3 different responses, more vagueness.

Thank you to anyone that can help.

Last edited:
They would send you an upgrade version of Windows 8. You would need XP/Vista/7 previously installed to upgrade.

Back