• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Waiting for Alienware M11x

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

kskwerl

I always wanted an alienware since my little brother got one like 10 years ago. I know they are overpriced but I wanted to hear what you guys think about the M11x. I didn't wanna go with the 15 or 17 cause I don't plan on playing games on it really, I just wanted something nice for doing work stuff on studying. I hate to stay hunched over the desktop reading. I prefer reading in bed and watching movies in bed unless I had a nice leather lazyboy at my computer. Just a side note, it's got the i7 in it, I wouldn't know an intel chip if I fell over it. Any idea how this is gonna perform.

Well do you know which i7? It should be perfect for what you are wanting to and could still play game's what video card does it have? And there are reviews on youtube

I got it with this Overclockable Intel Core i7 640UM (4M Cache, 2.266 GHz Max Turbo Frequency) and video is this 1GB NVIDIA GeForce GT 335M

The GT335M is quite a decent chip, and even more remarkable considering the size of the unit. The reviews of the Alienware seem quite positive, although the screen is very shiny.

Personally, the 11.6 is a little small for a main machine IMO. I have an 11.6 in netbook and although it's fine for travelling I couldn't really use it every day for long periods of time.

I doubt it's performance will disappoint though. Did you go SSD?

The GT335M is quite a decent chip, and even more remarkable considering the size of the unit. The reviews of the Alienware seem quite positive, although the screen is very shiny.

Personally, the 11.6 is a little small for a main machine IMO. I have an 11.6 in netbook and although it's fine for travelling I couldn't really use it every day for long periods of time.

I doubt it's performance will disappoint though. Did you go SSD?

Thanks and no SSD :( didn't have the loot. It's also not going to be my main PC, main PC is in sig silly. I'm just gonna be using it for movies, some VMware, packet tracer (cisco) maybe some TightVNC for work. Nothing mission critical for work tho just nice to have those features. Oh yea, I got a glare/screen protector too, don't know how thats gonna work out but..

My homeboy just got his 2 days ago (after an agonizing 2 week wait) and let me tell you WOW what a laptop. Insanely powerful for any laptop much less an 11 inch! i7 2.26ghz 8gbs of mem a 500gb ssd gt 335m. It feels extremely well put together and isn't as flashy as the other alienware machines.

Another friend of mine has the m15x and i don't like it at all. The case of the m11 is flat rubberized black as opposed to the shiny plastic black of the m15. I was playing borderlands on the m11 and it gets just as hot as my asus 7" netbook. I really want one now. I've always hated alienware btw.

My co-worker has the 1st gen (with C2D) and it's really nice....the 2nd gen with i7 should be sweet....enjoy!

Personally I think this is one of the first Alienware units where they could get away with charging a little more (ssshhhhh, don't tell them I said that :p)

I have the 1st rev with the shiny gloss and Core 2 Duo. It runs well all things considered. I ordered an ssd to replace that 150GB harddrive. It gets good battery life, I can watch 2 movies on it with the screen brightness all the way down and the AlienFX off with battery to spare. I wish I waited for the i7 one, but after I get back to the states, I'll send mine in for a "cleanup". Try and sell it for some 500 ish dollars and then get the newer one. I can play Batman with the graphics set to low. Medieval Total War Graphics set to high. Empire Total war is way too slow...don't know if its the game or my graphics card, but I uninstalled it. Dragon Age Origins runs smooth with High Settings. I like having something to tug around in a backpack and put in my lap. Its a good machine for what it does and there aren't many other machines out there that can do what this pup does.

Portable
Games
Battery life
Sexy.

I'm a bit of an Alienware fan boy, but mostly for thier customer service, and design quality. M11x, is a great little laptop. Good for studing, and simple stuff. It can also game when your bored or taking a break. But my advice is to pick up the warranty on the system. The M11x screen hinge is a weak point in the products design. The screws that hold the hing bracket to the screen are screwed into plastic. Which is shody because Alienware should have learned from there previous poorly designed M15x which caused the screen hinge to crack. That is really my only complaint about it. Normally Alienware has a great design and very sturdy, but this is the one weak point i've seen. I know about the issue because others have had it, and Alienware is shipping me a screen to install myself since I'm in Iraq. Screen is a replacement for a busted hinge.

For more detailed information or any questions, the best referance I can provide is Notebookreview (NBR) Alienware Forums

Hope you enjoy the system. For what it is, its a great ultra portable.

Back