• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Want to install Win 8.1 off USB. Where do I download it?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Theocnoob

My DVD drive died on one of my computers. Rather than swap for another drive I'd like to just install from USB. Where do I get win 8.1 OEM from? I looked on the MS site (see? I did my own leg work this time Earth Dog :)) but couldn't find it.

Also I will need instructions for how to install from USB

I can just use the key that came with the OEM DVD of Win 8.1 right?

Thanks in advance guys.

It's on the MS site. ;)

How create usb:

edit: crap... I can't.copy and paste on my phone. But googled "how to create a usb to install Windows 8.1" and got great results!

FYI I was never able to do this with an EFI install. My boot.wim was >4GB and FAT32 is a requirement for (at least mine) EFI booting. It installed fine in Virtualbox from the ISO though. And I wasn't able to find my DL DVDR's to try that...

Do not use a DL-DVD. It will not be bootable. I tried that exact thing and it doesnt work on the 8.5 GB DL disks. I was able to use a USB thumb drive to install 8.1 from easily using the MS instructions.

Z

Back