• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Want to overclock my FX-8320 to 4.3GHz

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Saber707

Registered
I had this chip OC to 4.3GHz stable in winter and now that its hitting summer here in Australia ive been having some problems, I want to know what everyone else has there voltage set to so I know what a reasonable voltage will be for my chip. (I currently have mine set to 1.4 volts I assume this is really high)

Specs
Operating System: Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
CPU: AMD FX-8320 [OC to 4.3GHz]
RAM: Patriot Blue Signature Line 16GB Dual-Channel DDR3
Motherboard: Gigabyte 990FXA-UD3 (Rev. 4.0)
GPU: 4GB GAINWARD GeForce GTX 690
Storage: 465GB Seagate HDD, 1T Seagate HDD
PSU: GMX Muscle Power 1000W

Last edited:
One thing I don't see in your specs is your cooler. It has a direct impact on how high you can go at a certain voltage. That makes 1.4V relative to your situation. Also some samples of FX CPUs took a lot more voltage than others. In the end if it's unstable and you're sure it's not the ram then you'll have to add voltage or impreove your cooling only two options really. Aside from lowering your OC

I have a DeepCool Maelstrom 120T for my cooling, I also get the temps while running AIDA64
3693b8dd823681343842040d0b06c32b.png

- - - Updated - - -

How would I test if its my ram?

Temps are already too high, drop to 1.3v and go from there. For quick reference my 8370 does 4.3ghz 1.3v/4.5ghz 1.368v (voltage wall at 1.4v+ on air).

Judging by your temps I would lay money on temps not ram being the cause of your instability and that's just with AIDA64 which isn't an overly demanding stability test. The biggest problem is likey your choice of cooler. I hate to be the one to tell you this but that Deepcool is one of the lowest performing 120 AIOs out there and IMO a CoolerMaster Hyper 212 would likely do a better job.
You can check your case air flow to see if that's part of the heating problem by just taking the side door off the case and seeing if the temps drop. You could also add another fan to the Maelstrom that might gain you a few degrees but honestly it's not up to the task of cooling an FX CPU much past where you are nowspeed wise.

Your point is?
Your temps are already maxed out, further strengthening my point that a single 120 rad ain't enough.

We can see in your pic @4.5ghz, that you're resting over 60c and hit 72c max. So where are you getting your arbitrary 52c from?

Does OCCT ramp up? I ran it for 5 minutes "just to see", and I hit 12c over ambient; my games hit harder...
Think the core package temp on occt is what is being referred to Bob?!

Yes, 52℃ on package. AMD recommends not exceeding 61 ℃ on the package.
But, you can see in overdrive that thermal margin is about 20 ℃ when temp is 47℃.
Overdrive, official application, places a limit of 70 degrees on the package.

62c on core/package, 72c on the socket. If I’m reading right the 1st pic shows 65c on socket, 2nd pic shows 72c on socket. Socket is on the limit and the core/package is near it. As Mr. Scott said, you ran out of room :(

A fan over the VRMs might help some if you’re sticking with your current 120 ?

Back