• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Wanted pointers on my finished upgrade, fx 4100 i chose for now. O

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

thatbonokid

I had a phenom 560x2, crappy asus mobo, and a 5850 with aftermarket cooler.

I now have a nice gigabyte sli board GA-990FXA-UD3
(pretty sure this is a top of the line board)

An fx 4100 (i hear bad things but id like an opinion from you guys, because it seems nice to me).

Tell me some more about this processor? Whys it only 100 bucks.. It has double the cache of a 955-980 and the clock speeds are the sameish.. Will i be able to only change the multiplier without any problems and get it to 4.0 and no extra voltage like i could do with my other AMD phenoms?
Also my battlefield froze but i accidentally chopped my finger on the fan when i was feeling for the temp.. So i think i just jarred it and it froze. If it does it again then im probably screwed, but i dont think thats an issue.
Im using a stock 1100T cooler for now so it stays around 35 at full load, 20c idle.

Im still using the 5850.

Battlefield runs 4 times better than it did before with the 560 and i honestly am liking this as much as my old 1100t that i ran on the same motherboard.. I think. with a 5850 its running very nice and i think thats surprising. Im gonna aim to just grab a single 580 or 6 series in the future. Maybe even try a high end ATI for once.

I have my hands on an H-100 water cooler and im wondering what you think of this machine and what i should do with it. I could return this processor, but it was only 100 bucks. I wouldnt wanna spend more than 150 on a processor at this point and time. Would this processor do me good?

I also have poopy memory but that can wait until i figure out what im gonna do to finish this rig to buy mem, a better PS, and a SSD.

I love your guys help and any input that you have on my machine, or ideas you could give me would be SO appreciated and would help me out like you wouldnt even believe. Thank you.

Once again, you guys are life savers.

I also added pictures, but ive never actually attached them on the site like i did this time. If they dont show, I will upload them in the read from another host.

Attachments

• comp 1.png
    comp 1.png
    189.2 KB · Views: 88
  • comp2.png
    comp2.png
    187.1 KB · Views: 85
  • comp 3.png
    comp 3.png
    182.8 KB · Views: 93
Your post kind of rambles. Can you list in the order of importance what you would like help/input on? Like: 1. . . . 2. . . . .3. . . . . .

Make a signature with what is in use today. We don't have to read thru the first post to find the parts and pieces after a thread gets to 5 or 6 posts.

My how to put up Sig at OCF.

New Shortcut method for putting a Signature with your system information following your every post so people can know what is in the case that they are trying to assist with. You can use something like what is shown in my signature as a good template of needed information Thank you.

I have a FX-4100 on a crappy MB right now.
I can get 3.9Ghz using just the multiplier but have to bump the voltage to go higher, with the better MB you may get 4 without a voltage bump.
The 4100 will OC like crazy and hitting 4.5Ghz is easy, just keep an eye on your temp.

With a decent air cooler you should be able to hit 4.4-4.5GHz without getting the temps too high. You mentioned something about a fan but it's not really clear. Do you mean the fan on the CPU heatsink? If so it might be worth just picking up a hyper 212 evo anyways since you're interested in overclocking and it will do better than a stock cooler anyways.

With a decent air cooler you should be able to hit 4.4-4.5GHz without getting the temps too high. You mentioned something about a fan but it's not really clear. Do you mean the fan on the CPU heatsink? If so it might be worth just picking up a hyper 212 evo anyways since you're interested in overclocking and it will do better than a stock cooler anyways.

At one point he even says he has his hands on an H100 closed-loop w/c. Who knows?

sorry, i was high when i wrote this lol. im just getting back to it.. but i have an h100 cooler. its at 4.2 with the voltage bumped up one increment. im wondering what the best program to OC my 5850 would be as of right now.

sorry, i was high when i wrote this lol. im just getting back to it.. but i have an h100 cooler. its at 4.2 with the voltage bumped up one increment. im wondering what the best program to OC my 5850 would be as of right now.

MSI Afterburner. Has a built in benchmarking/stress testing tool.

good cpu, good cooler, h100, just run the fans from your board, not the h100 controler.

as far as being 100 bucks, how they did that i really don't know, but ut's a deal

MSI Afterburner. Has a built in benchmarking/stress testing tool.

Don't use Afterburners built in stress testing tool (kombustor) for any length of time, or at all, its the same thing as furmark which is a known GPU killer.

Use Unique Heaven and 3DMark11 to stress test / benchmark, its probably ok to use Kombustor for a few seconds to see if the clocks have taken effect, but that's it.

Sorry trents did not mean to undermine you there :chair:

GPU killer? Really? How could that be? It just puts the GPU under heavy load like Prime95 puts the CPU under virtual 100% load. Isn't that the point?

GPU killer? Really? How could that be? It just puts the GPU under heavy load like Prime95 puts the CPU under virtual 100% load. Isn't that the point?

I don't know the full technicalities, others around here do, what i do know is both AMD and nVidia have added chips to there later GPU's to throttle down under furmark testing because furmark pushes the PCB's over what they are designed for.

It is known for furmark to fry mosfets, VRMs ecte... on GPU PCB's

Just as short Google...

http://www.overclock.net/t/1258164/so-apparently-furmark-and-linpack-ibt-damage-your-computer

http://forums.pcper.com/showthread.php?t=476165

http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?t=304724

Last edited:
I don't know the full technicalities, others around here do, what i do know is both AMD and nVidia have added chips to there later GPU's to throttle down under furmark testing because furmark pushes the PCB's over what they are designed for.

It is known for furmark to fry mosfets, VRMs ecte... on GPU PCB's
That's what happens when you go cheap on parts.

Yeah, I found some stuff about down-throttling technology being employed on newer video cards when Furmark is employed but nothing about Kombustor yet, though I haven't searched extensively. Like with a CPU overclock, some common sense is in order with regard to temp monitoring and voltage supplementation I suppose.

Back