• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Wanting to add another rad and a res...... Not sure how?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Modz 4 Higher

Alright guys, let me start by telling you my setup, how it flows and then what I am wanting to do.

I am running an i7 2600k overclocked to a stable 4.9. I am also running an XFX 8800gts 512mb( I know it's old but gets the job done. I am not a gamer and have never gamed.lol) Okay, the setup I have is a Swiftech MCR 320 Drive Rev 3(res/rad/pump combo), Swiftech Apogee HD, Swiftech Stealth VGA and Primo Chill 1/2" ID 3/4" OD.

When I was running just the CPU water block my idle temps where 32c. Obviously, now that I added the GPU into the same loop as the CPU my temps at idle have escalated to 38-39c which bothers me.

I have a Xigmatek Elysium tower so room is not an issue:D As of right now my Drive Rev 3 is mounted to the back of the case because that is the only way it can be done and still fill up the top mounted res. So from my readings and common sense the only way to get my temps down is to by another rad, supplying more cooling surface area. I am going to get yet another 360 radiator. Yes I know have 2x360 rads is overkill for a CPU and single GPU, but I am future proofing it for later down the road when I add more GPU's and chipset water blocks. I have read the test at Skinnee Labs about the 7 radiators that they tested.(great review BTW)

What I am wanting to know is for my setup what 360 rad would be the best? I need a low FPI rad that is not so restrictive. I am geared towards either an XSPC or another Swiftech. What would you guys suggest and why? I want my temps a lot lower than they are now.(cost is not a problem, I want performance) Also where in my loop should this rad be placed? Right now my loop is as followed. Obviously my res is ontop of the rad which is ontop of the pump.......so Res-->Rad-->Pump-->CPU-->GPU-->Rad. Size is not an issue either as I have plenty of space.

Will my Swiftech MCP35X be enough to supply that loop size I am wanting to go with?

I have another question relating adding a reservoir to this setup, but let's answer this one first.

Thanks in advance,

~M4H

Anybody have any ideas or any reads that will point me in the right direction? Thinking of just going with another MCR320-QP to keep the loop less restrictive. Hmmmmmmm..........

It doesn't sound like you NEED to add another rad although it's fun to do. Your chip still stable at 4.9? If you do add another it makes no difference where in the loop you put it.

the mcp35x would be strong enough.

Okay cool:) well I will be getting chipset water blocks soon(because it looks good:)) and just want to have enough rad. I have plenty of space in my case so I am gonna go for it. I'll be running some 120mmx38mm Ultra High Speed fans on it too.

Also going to invest in one of those swiftech rad blocks to space my rad 25mm off the back of my case. Right now it is right up against the case and I think that is probably causing some heat issues.

Back