• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

WARNING ATI users: Catalyst 3.8 can kill your Card / Monitor

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
about the temps i have a theroy, maybe ati increased the volts for gpu etc for video card so when ppl use the ati program to o/c it would be stable??? its just a theroy dont go screaming at me.

jrbob said:

People should reed up before thay start going off, because it is right in the driver release notes what the drivers do.
Check it out

http://www2.ati.com/drivers/Catalyst_38_Release_Notes.html
ATI OVERDRIVE
The new ATI OVERDRIVE (patent pending) tab, currently available for the RADEON™ 9800XT only, provides a safe and intelligent graphics processor clocking utility. ATI OVERDRIVE is constantly monitoring the graphics processor and pushing the graphics frequency to its maximum, while always ensuring that the processor temperature stays at a safe level. If the temperature of the graphics processor were to become too hot, ATI OVERDRIVE automatically decreases the clock speed until a safe temperature is reached. ATI OVERDRIVE never reduces the graphics processor speed below the pre-set factory default clock speed.

No offense but you are the one that needs to read, That ATI OVERDRIVE (patent pending) Is only applicable with the XT versions, and since 99% of ATI products have no thermal sensors of any type this is a relavant and possibly issue.

Only a few OEM versions prior to the XT have thermal monitoring. A few Gigabyte and Tyans have monitoring, and now apparently the XT line does as well, But the MAJORITY of ATI card users should know there may be a problem if they are using the Stock heatsink and the Catalyst 3.8 driver.

Since I am watercooling my GPU and use OMEGA's 3.8 I am not worried.

this is from driverheaven.net ahh a post

8500DV
DriverHeaven Mystic

My Monitor Damged after 3.8 reboot
My monitor was damaged somehow a few minutes after the installation of 3.8 and MMC 8.7 and ATI is welcomed to have my monitor picked up and shipped to them for testing, on their dime of course. They will have to provide me with a replacement to use while they do this, and or a replacement to keep if it cannot be repaired.
I can't see this as being a fluke now that I have read that others have also ran into problems after the install of 3.8's

Those of you who are calling this bogus explain why my 21" Sun flat screen monitor just went belly up 1 week after upgrading to the 3.8's I'm sssssooooooooooooooo friggin ****ed!!! I'm having to look through a 17" curved max resoultion 1024x768 monitor right now and it's torture.

It's the horizontal that went out. These drivers can easily take your monitor out if the horizontal refresh rate is fooked with and it isn't compatible with your monitor's refresh rates. You don't need drivers to do this. You want to blow your monitor out. Run it at a refresh rate that is out of it's specs........give it enough time, and you'll see what I mean.

ATI is going to compensate me one way or another.

Just to re-iterate.......those of you who are running sufficient cooling on your cards...........your monitor (which can be more expensive to replace than your card, as is my case) is still at risk.

If we're all wrong and it's just a coincidence, what do you have to loose by going back to 3.7's, a few frameratres? What if there is a problem, are you willing to risk your $200+ card AND monitor to boot?

http://www.short-media.com/forum/showthread.php?postid=52230#post52230

Your monitor is at risk!!

Last edited:
wow, and I was just about to upgrade from the 2.6s to the 2.8s......guess I wont anymore.

I have one question about all this...why isn't it happening to everyone?

If it were simply a driver flaw it would happen to everyone...everyone’s monitor would flicker itself to death.

However, this is not the case, there are many people using the 3.8's without incident - myself included.

So really the question is what is different in configuration between people who ARE having a problem and those who AREN'T.

Again, if there was something fundamentally wrong with the driver, it would have hit just about everyone by now.

I'm not saying there isn't something wrong, but it must be configuration specific, some common utility, installed program, other driver - something that is causing the driver to malfunction...and it seems like ATI should be reaching out to people who have had a problem to try and figure out what that could be. Of course their legal department needs to find a way to do that without exposing the company to liability, they don't want to take responsibility for something that may or may not be caused by their software.

For those who don't frequent Rage3d.com, check this comment from an ATI employee: http://www.rage3d.com/#1066346626

Probably the most important part of the quote is this:
There have been zero reports in our customer support of monitors dying.

Essentially, if you people want any official recognition of the problem you NEED to report it directly to ATI. There are ATI employees who frequent rage3d and other forums, but they do that on their own time. If you expect ATI to help you, you have to follow their procedures to report the problem. Making these posts helps the community, but it does little to help YOU if this is the only place you are making the complaint.

So far, I've seen this in several forums, but it always is traced back to the same guy.

If this were true, our monitors would be dying left and right, and that simply isn't happening. I've heard from Terry @ ATI they are unable to reproduce this, and the largest temp difference anyone has been able to verify is 0.7C.

Head over to the B3D forums for people who know thier sh*t, and take the time to test theories and potentially serious issues such as this one....

If your monitor is new and has a feature that won't let it use a refresh rate that it can't support, you won't be affected by this (as far as it affecting your monitor, not the overheating issue).

I assure you, that if your monitor doesn't have this protection, and your 3.8 Cats are indeed running your monitor at refresh rates out of spec, it's only a matter of time before it goes belly-up. I suspect, older monitors like mine, that have been around the block will die alot quicker than a newer one.

Oh yeah, I've created a ticket on mine.

Last edited:
MassiveOverkill said:
If your monitor is new and has a feature that won't let it use a refresh rate that it can't support, you won't be affected by this (as far as it affecting your monitor, not the overheating issue).

I assure you, that if your monitor doesn't have this protection, and your 3.8 Cats are indeed running your monitor at refresh rates out of spec, it's only a matter of time before it goes belly-up. I suspect, older monitors like mine, that have been around the block will die alot quicker than a newer one.

I don't know if I buy that since XP users get set to 60mhz by default after installing any catalyst driver set, including the Catalyst 3.8.

I'm not saying I don't believe there may or may not be a problem, but something is fishy. With Nvidia falling behind ATI I am starting to believe this may be some sort of conspiracy possibly emanating from the Nvidia Camp. It could be a coincidence that monitors may be affected due to a plethora of reasons. Monitors do die eventually.

I am an ATI user at this time as well as being an NVidiot and I am just telling you my thoughts regarding this. It's my opinion ATI has a better card in terms of price and performance over the competition, thats the reason I have an ATI card.

There may be a problem and there may be a conspiracy, but I can tell you that I have seen more Nvidia top end cards at Newegg refurb than ever before. This tells me that many people are buying ATI based cards, and Nvidia has lost a TON of market share lately to ATI.

Corporations DO PLAY dirty, and this is no secret.

i also find it strange that peoples monitors are dying, as most monitors ive dealt with in the past year have bound checking built into the monitor. i guess this is newer than i thought. but im really disappointed in ATI for screwing up the overdrive feature, but im even more scared than www.anandtech.com didnt find this problem in their driver review. ive always considered them a good source. ill send them an email about it.(anandtech had a 3.8 cat review, and they said the overdrive feature was flawless)

as for the fact isnt happening to everyone could be simply monitor protection or difference XP settings.

::edit:: actually anandtech had a news article on it so its getting around

Last edited:
Silversinksam said:

I don't know if I buy that since XP users get set to 60mhz by default after installing any catalyst driver set, including the Catalyst 3.8.

I am an ATI user at this time as well as being an NVidiot and I am just telling you my thoughts regarding this. It's my opinion ATI has a better card in terms of price and performance over the competition, thats the reason I have an ATI card.

Actually, there is a utility included with the Omegas that overrides the XP/2000 60 Mhz refresh rate problem. And even if you didn't use this utility, your only at 60 Mhz in desktop, when you're playing games at higher resolutions, your refresh rate changes accordingly.

Don't get me wrong, I love my ATI card, but I truly think someone in their engineering dept screwed up this time. I highly doubt that they test their cards on older monitors, and they probably have the newer, expensive monitors that support the refresh rate protection feature.

MassiveOverkill said:

Actually, there is a utility included with the Omegas that overrides the XP/2000 60 Mhz refresh rate problem. And even if you didn't use this utility, your only at 60 Mhz in desktop, when you're playing games at higher resolutions, your refresh rate changes accordingly.

Don't get me wrong, I love my ATI card, but I truly think someone in their engineering dept screwed up this time. I highly doubt that they test their cards on older monitors, and they probably have the newer, expensive monitors that support the refresh rate protection feature.

Thats true but that only applies if you lock the refresh rates using 'Multires'. When I use the omegas I only install MultiRes and the Drivers itself.

I will say one thing, I tried the 3.8 again after I deleted all the ATI references in the registry and used the normal uninstall process, After I tried the ATI 3.8 I got a crazy error on bootup saying I didnt connect the Molex to the card properly. Now thats plumb insane, I say this because I run a clean unused Molex from my PC Power and Cooling PSU, and more inportantly I use 'self binding' electrical tape on most of my molex connectors to make sure they never get disconnected.

Whats odd is this error posted right after I installed the ATI 3.8's

Maybe this driver is buggy, maybe its not.....:( :eek:

http://www.3dchipset.com/
http://www.guru3d.com/newsitem.php?id=641

well ati said this
1) Overheating: We have spent a great deal of time analyzing the temperatures due to the CATALYST 3.8 drivers. We do not under any circumstance see anything near a 10 degree Celsius increase in temperature (but we don’t overclock our test cards either). We do see a slight increase in temperature in certain cases (3Dmark2003 Nature Scene for example). However any temperature increase is well within our safety range. Investigation continues and we are trying to determine why this change in temperature exits

2) Monitors: We have spent a great deal of time trying to reproduce this problem and analyzing the driver code. There is nothing to be found. At this point we are working very closely with an ATI Beta Tester who experienced a monitor loss. There have been zero reports in our customer support of monitors dying.

and a user reported this
As a safety precaution, I am strongly encouraging that anyone with any of the affected cards above roll their drivers back to the Omega Catalyst 3.7 drivers or the ATI Catalyst 3.7 drivers, as they are verified not to cause this overheating issue. I did some testing with my Radeon 9800 NP BIOS-flashed to a 9800 Pro. The results are not encouraging. Running looping 3DMark2003 for 30 minutes and utilizing a temperature probe on my GPU (regular cooling), the following temperatures were recorded:

Catalyst 3.8: 135 Fahrenheit

Catalyst 3.7: 117 Fahrenheit

Curiosity killed the cat and an all (no pun intended, well maybe a little) i went ahead and put omega's drivers back on, the leaked version. i still see about a 5c difference in load temps, but i also see about a 20fps bump in RVS when using AA and AF. So perhaps that in itself is some explanation.

About the monitor issues, i had some problems with refresh rates when i installed the drivers while i had a secondary display active. I couldn't do a darn thing with the refresh rates. So i reinstalled them without the TV out connected, and everything went fine, refresh rates on the primary display seem fine. One thing i notice that is different about these is the primary display is limited to the resolution of the secondary display if it is enabled. Since TV out is only available up to 1024X768 my monitor is limited there unless i disable the TV. That kinda really sucks. With the 3.7's i could run 1024X768 to the television and 2080X1024 to the monitor simultaneously.

Anyway, i will be watching the temps closely, and the display(s) for any strange symptoms.

J.

All of the following is my personal experience, nothing more.

The temp thing was completely false in my case, I couldn't tell a difference at idle or under full load.

My games did freeze and access the HDD for 30-45 seconds then resume. I thought this was a PSU or RAM issue but I rolled back to 3.7 and everything is hunky dorey now.

Every so often the picture would look grainy like you were looking realy close at a rear projection TV. Rolling back to 3.7 fixed this also. My monitor is a 17" Relisys that I bought in '98-'99 and I'm not taking any chances on it.

I also haven't noticed any problems using 3.8, I'll 'roll back' until some real info comes out...... Gotta sell my 9800p this weekend, picking up an XT (just looking out for my 'Customer') ;)

I may be a victim of this mystry driver problem.

As I said in an older thread I smoked my 9800 pro with a volt mod but I was able to use the card for a couple weeks (fat yellow lines) before it up and died once and for all. But I installed the 3.8's just proir to the volt increase and used it until the card died. I bought a Radeon 9000 as a backup and installed that but my Nokia 21"moniitor (sony trinitron tube) won't display anything...even with the new ATI 9000. I was thinking mobo issues, now after reading this thread I am not so sure. I will do some more testing because I have a brand new benQ fp767 lcd and my replacement 9800 pro will be here tomorrow.

Back