• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

WARNING Danner Mag users!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
when you are installing the brass barbs into the plastic housing on the Danner line of mag pumps, DO NOT us a wrench of any type, but instead just use your fingers and apply 3 - 4 layers of Thread Sealing tape. I have insalled many Danner Mag 3 pumps and using the method that I just explaned, I have not had any leaks of any type from the Danner Pumps. i have only seen and heard of the housing cracking when a person installed the barbs and used a wrench to tighten it.

Just my 2 cents

Rokk1972 said:
when you are installing the brass barbs into the plastic housing on the Danner line of mag pumps, DO NOT us a wrench of any type, but instead just use your fingers and apply 3 - 4 layers of Thread Sealing tape. I have insalled many Danner Mag 3 pumps and using the method that I just explaned, I have not had any leaks of any type from the Danner Pumps. i have only seen and heard of the housing cracking when a person installed the barbs and used a wrench to tighten it.

Just my 2 cents

Thats what Max said he did, he only hand tightened them ;)

Even when using plastic barbs, the use of a clamp around the inlet is still recommended.......And even just hand tightening the barb can apply enough torque compression to overcome the tensile stregth of the plastic used to make up the inlet.

I also agree in the fact that this does not suggest danners a bad pumps for watercooling. This is a known issue with them. If all the right precautions are taken, danners are great pumps, both performance wise and reliability wise, for watercooling......

Ditto on the plastic barbs + clamps. You're just asking for it with a brass barb in a plastic female inlet. I did the same thing on a mag5 a couple years ago. Had to goop it up and switch it to a plastic barb. Luckily because of this my via did not have the same fate (2 female inlet/outlet :eek: ).

Last edited:
The problem with teflon pipe tape is, if you use too many layers it lowers the coefficient of friction so low that when working with plastic it's possible to overtighten even by hand. One complete layer is enough for plastic because the parts are so smooth to begin with.

yup, like the above, I always suggest plastic barbs with these pumps because of this situation is known to happen.

Thats my next thing on the list. make a unbreakable impeller housing.

Jon

JFettig said:
yup, like the above, I always suggest plastic barbs with these pumps because of this situation is known to happen.

Thats my next thing on the list. make a unbreakable impeller housing.

Jon

I agree, Danner could do with a bit beefier impeller housing. It would be interesting to know what percentage of their total sales are used for cooling cpus, eh?

just put alittle chewing gum on it and like the wise guys would say "forget about it". you and Malakai should not tighten it so much ;)

and so larva doesnt edit me, that was a joke.

I have too much money in hardware to risk frying over something like that. I just got the new swifty to replace it.

Mikeonatrike said:
I think if i ever got this pump id replace the impeller housing with a little beafier version. Maybe make it outa 3/4 lexan.

Careful dude! Lexan(PC or polycarbonate) is very shock resistant indeed, but does not like when constant stress applied and are prone to crack in those situations. I think I have read about more than 1 block manufacturer having serious problems with (metal)barbs in lexan tops.

Sorry to hear the bad news Maxvla. My Danner Model2 did the exact same thing. I decided to buy a pump with an MPT inlet and outlet. I don't have to worry about this anymore.

thats where delrin comes in hand:) gonna bust out the delrin and make an unbreakable impeller housing:D

Jon

that sucks max :( well i guess its back to the trusty HSF for awhile.

stick it in a res, since it's just the intake, it will still pump perfectly :eek:p

can probably take a hacksaw and chop the end off that intake and put a spacer between the end and the side of a res so it can still suck water

make you a red stained acrylic res for the pump, will probably hardly notice that it's got a pump in it :D

ahh! yea i have this pump sitting here on my desk!
/gets really scared
i dont want it to crack and throw up water everywhere!
i didnt even think to put barbs around it though i was just gonna do that hot water trick to stretch my hose over it can i still do that? if not im gonna do plastic barbs+clamp+teflontape+handtightened+ a lil prayer! haha gosh sorry about u system bleeding all over your carpet. thats like every overclockers nightmare. besides like maybe a prommy just explodiing! how did ur comp last without water though?! thats crazy thats just like this one guy i heard that was just running pumpless and stuff maybe cpus dont need to be cooled! haha jk!

Back