• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Water blocks for Chipset on TRX40 board?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

K-amps

Registered
Hi guys:

Built my first custom loop (3x 360mm rads) for a Threadripper 3970x build. I am all stock for now, but as i look at temps on hwmon (hardware monitor), The cpu stays below 60c even as it peaks to 4.4Ghz, but the chipset even with no loads stays between 80-98C. This has me worried. Should i ignore it or is there something that can be done?

Build specs in my Sig. :grouphug:

Thanks guys!

Which exact motherboard to you have? There are a couple of ASUS ROG TRX40.

ASUS ROG TRX40 gaming

Looks like it's the TRX40-E Gaming, unless they changed names. I'm not seeing any waterblocks for that board, but it does have integral heatsink fans.

I know that board has two integral fans in the upper heatsink, I'm assuming you've double-checked that those are spinning?
And the one in the lower right corner of the board, is it spinning?

I haven't seen any reviews come out that mention heat issues with this board.
If all three of those fans are moving air, my next check would be to make sure there is good contact with the heatsinks to the chips.

Good point. I need to dig out the case and open and check. I am assuming they are running because I have not seen the temps go over 100c, they stabilize at 100c, but I am not very happy with them being that hot... you could boil water at that temp... surely its not good for the components around it. The maximum sustain temps for semiconductors should not exceed 70c for longevity reasons.

Show us how many case fans, locations & direction of flow. You shouldn't see 100C anywhere in the system.

LianLi.png

I have 10 fans in total as you have in the pic above. Except that, the single back fan blows into the chassis on to the RAM slots. and the side one blows out (exhaust mode).

The bottom and upper move air upwards through the chassis, in other words lower are intake and upper are exhaust.

in total 4 fans in intake mode and 6 exhaust.

I had flipped the side ones to exhaust because I didnt want them blowing hot air into the chassis.

The 9 fans are loaded onto radiators (upper, lower and side) while the single rear fan has nothing on it. IMG_0861-denoise.jpg IMG_0860-denoise.jpg IMG_0859-denoise.jpg

I just checked my chipset temps for my 3970X Gigabyte Aorus Master TRX40 and it stays around 43c...

Personally I would reverse the flow between the front fans (blow in) & the rear fan (exhaust). Also, is the case sitting on carpet? Does it have feet allowing the bottom fans a clear airflow path?

The front is sealed. The 3 you are referring to are on the side (the O11 Dynamic XL is a bit different in this regard), and have a radiator on them which resists airflow. If I reverse it based on what you suggest, 2 issues will happen, there will be 3 additional fans blowing hot air into the chassis making things worse, and no cold/ fresh air blowing over the CPU / RAM and GPU.

I do understand that concern and you could keep the rear fan as an intake for that reason. The problem is that the GPU prevents the bottom fans from being a very effective intake. Take the side and front panel off and you will see temps drop dramatically (loop temps and the components cooled by the loop) The airflow from the radiator will be warmer than ambient, yes, but probably only by 10c or so. This may have a marginal impact for something like a CPU or GPU, but the impact to VRM, chipset, memory etc will be minimal. Having airflow is more important.

Have you confirmed that the fans are spinning? Have you checked other monitoring software to see if they agree with the temps you're seeing? If so then try with the side panel off and see if that helps. Could also try blowing a house fan into the system to see what that does to temps. If none of this works, I'm guessing they are not mounted correctly.

That makes sense, but aesthetically leaving the case open is not something I'd like to do long term. I feel internal temps are not bad enough for one component to remain between 60-100c, while the rest are in the 40's.

You have a good point about the gpu's fan's impact, hopefully soon I will replace it with a card that runs in the custom water loop, thus removing a source of heat generation. I also should try a third temp monitor as you suggest, even though HWmon and the Bios temps both suggest elevated chipset temps.

It would be great to have others with the same board verify their temps so that I have some direction on which way to go to resolve this.

Taking the side panel off & blowing a small fan at the side is for testing purposes only. It will help you tell if there is an airflow problem causing that high temperature reading or if the motherboard sensor is bad & reporting incorrectly.

Back