• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Water cooling for under $200

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Your just fine, it's all chrome plated brass or copper, your good.

7/16 is okay, but 1/2" is okay too. You use those clamps, 1/2" ID 3/4" OD is just fine.

De-ionized isn't as clean, Distilled at Walgreens. $1 a gallon. I always have 2-3 at home.

You can get by with a few 90 deg fittings etc, have you used Martins flow rate tester to see what hit fittings cause to your flow rates?

Interesting read. Why the hell would someone put that much PT Nuke in their loop in the first place? It seems like common sense that when you use 5 times the recommended dose of a chemical things aren't going to go well. To add that much of it to combat corrosion would be like to take a half bottle of Tylenol because you have a really bad migraine.

I can't seem to find much on the metal composition of what I'm getting, but am I going to have to worry about galvanic corrosion or are my parts all non-aluminum?

I think most think that 2 drops are what's recommended but SURELY 10 would be even better. I posted that in reference to Spawns post about adding 10-20 drops of it to your system. Your parts are fine as they are all copper. You have to really look at things though. The Swiftech GTX is a very good block but for some stupid reason, they thought it would be a good idea to make the OEM top out of aluminum but PLATE the inside to prevent corrosion. This worked just fine until the plating wore off and the aluminum started galvanizing. They made a copper replacement top to remedy the problem. I know you're looking at the GTZ but this was just an example.

Axis

i didn't realize that the pt nuke made things acidic and i was sick of having crap grow in there (unless it was the tubing) so thats why i added so much pt nuke. i plan to change the water out later today or tomorrow and ad 2 drops to the loop. lol i have enough to last me a life time of water cool as well, 4 bottles.

thanks alot though for sharing Axis, you have saved my parts!

i didn't realize that the pt nuke made things acidic and i was sick of having crap grow in there (unless it was the tubing) so thats why i added so much pt nuke. i plan to change the water out later today or tomorrow and ad 2 drops to the loop. lol i have enough to last me a life time of water cool as well, 4 bottles.

thanks alot though for sharing Axis, you have saved my parts!

No problem man. I probably would have done the same had I not actually read several threads in which is was brought up. I don't think you could have found it with a search, unless you had a couple hours to go through all the threads where PT Nuke was mentioned.

Axis

I just want to make sure of this, compression fittings are a replacement for barbs and clamps, right? Because now that I'm getting 1/2" ID 3/4" OD tubing for less money I'd like to put compression clamps on the waterblocks and maybe even the reservoir radiator. I just don't know whether or not I need barbs as well.

Yes, compression fittings replace barbs and clamps. Be careful, they might not fit on the CPU block, they are about 1" in diameter, and the water holes might be too close. You'll have to do your research on that. I know on my Fuzion V1, even the 3/4" OD hose barely fit side by side with clamps, and that's 3/4" OD, no way 1" OD would of fit.

GTZ it might. Again, look around, go to the GTZ site, they might have sizing drawings.

i know you can put them on the rad for sure. and from this picture you can put them on Swiftech GTZ but you need to do a trick to get them to work.

And by popular demand, yes the Apogee GTZ will fit compression fitting with a small trick. Because the top has recess barb slots for o-rings, you need to grab an extra o-ring from another unused barb and slip it over the comrpession fitting threads. Othewise the compression fittings will sit too low and impact the swiftech logo. Not a big deal though, just slip them over and tighten the whole thing down.

SwiftechApogeeGTZ-10.jpg

here is a link to the whole review from Martins Water cooling lab. (he knows ALOT on water cooling and is respected by any good water cooling person)

as for the MCW60 i don't think your going to get 2 compression fittings on it or the res for that matter.

Great input Spawn

Could get this res instead.
http://www.petrastechshop.com/ekmure.html

Great Quality, but don't forget the cyclone addon.
http://www.petrastechshop.com/ekanad.html
Although it looks cool, it won't be as easy to fit in my case and since it doesn't affect the performance, using the Swiftech one would save me some money. I could use to spend less right now as I've already gone all out with a Ben Q 24" monitor, BFG 260 GTX OCX, another 4 gigs of XMS2, HX620 power supply, soundproofing and a bunch of quiet fans, accessories, lights, a new G7 mouse (the batteries suck!) and the water cooling stuff. :santa: Lol, the sig is considered lying until this Friday when everything is in and set up.

Common sense and a fat wallet works great! So your set, so glad to help ya and spend your money. Please read up on testing and ask any more questions ya need. Buying the stuff is just the beginning, but this thread and some in the last 30 days here should be all ya need. Cleaning rad, we cover that? Checking new parts?

Take your time, double check, have fun. Marvel in the geekness of your silly hobby!

Your getting quite a few barbs with your setup free anyway, so no harm to buy a few clamps if ya need them.

Everything is pretty much finalized. Here's everything. Tell me if I'm missing something.

Pump: Swiftech 655

Reservoir: Swiftech Micro Rev 2

Radiator: Swiftech MCR320 with 6 Yate Loon medium speed fans.

CPU Water Block: Swiftech GTZ

VGA Water Block: MCW60 with adapter and GTX 200 heatsink

Barbs: 6 Swiftech High Flow 1/4" to 1/2" for the reservoir, radiator, and graphics card

Compression Fittings: Either these or these. Which ones would you go with?

Clamps: 12 of these

Tubing: 10' Feser UV Blue. I just want to make sure here, is 10' enough?

Coolant: Distilled water with a few drops of PT Nuke PHN

On the compression fittings, if you go with bitspower, make sure they are the revised ones. There were problems with the first ones. The rest looks fine.

Axis

10 feet will be enough, i have about 4-5 feet left over.

how many compression fittings are you getting? if you want as many fittings as possible then you need 4 compression (cpu block and rad) and 4 metal barbs (res and gpu block) .

other then that all is good.

10 feet will be enough, i have about 4-5 feet left over.

how many compression fittings are you getting? if you want as many fittings as possible then you need 4 compression (cpu block and rad) and 4 metal barbs (res and gpu block) .

other then that all is good.

I was only using compression fittings on the CPU because I'm afraid of a leak that would fry my new GTX 280. Would compression fittings on the reservoir make a big difference over barbs?

On the compression fittings, if you go with bitspower, make sure they are the revised ones. There were problems with the first ones. The rest looks fine.

Axis

Feser it is then.

compression fittings won't work with the res you have picked out. i didn't realize you just wanted them on the cpu block only. so everything is fine.

So in that case, this is what I'm going to be ordering tonight...

Pump: Swiftech 655.

Reservoir: Swiftech Micro Rev 2.

Radiator: Swiftech MCR320 with 6 Yate Loon medium speed fans.

CPU Water Block: Swiftech GTZ.

VGA Water Block: MCW60 with adapter and GTX 200 heatsink

Barbs: 6 Swiftech High Flow 1/4" to 1/2" for the reservoir, radiator, and graphics card.

Compression Fittings: 2 of these for the CPU waterblock.

Clamps: 12 of these.

Tubing: 10' Feser UV Blue.

Coolant: Distilled water with a few drops of PT Nuke PHN

you could buy chinese products, link deleted ,many cooling kits are under $200

Or, you can go play in Bannsville, Ms. Spammer! :D

Last edited by a moderator:
Back