• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

WATER COOLING HELPPPP

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

AfricanHalo

Registered
Ok so i'm building a custom looped watercooling system for my PC, I'm just cooling my i7 4790k and R9 290x with 1 240mm swiftech rad and a 120mm darkside lp rad. I need to know the best pump and reservoir combo for this cooling system under $100 if possible trying to stay away from the XSPC reservoir and pump V4 combo because of all the bad things i have heard about the pump.

Ok so i'm building a custom looped watercooling system for my PC, I'm just cooling my i7 4790k and R9 290x with 1 240mm swiftech rad and a 120mm darkside lp rad. I need to know the best pump and reservoir combo for this cooling system under $100 if possible trying to stay away from the XSPC reservoir and pump V4 combo because of all the bad things i have heard about the pump.

D5 with any tube res. Pretty much the easiest and most reliable combo. There are some 5.25 bay reservoirs that have integrated D5 pump that would work too but for easy maintenace tube res is the best choice in my opinion.
There are many pumps that are good but D5 is the standard when it comes to PC watercooling.
I have had my D5 since 2008 and it is still working fine with zero maintenace.

EDIT: I would recommend that you invest a little bit more on the adjustable version. I run my pump on setting 2 with 3 rads and two blocks. Plenty enough and there is no pump noise at all softmounted.

The 240mm rad will do so-so on that cpu, but that single 120mm rad for the 290 is a waste. You're going to need at least a 360 rad for the 290 alone. I have a 360 rad just for my 4790k oc'ed to 4.7Ghz with 1.3v and my load temps are 50-ish across the board. Idle temps are 36-ish.

From what I gather you're combining a 240 and a single 120 to cool both the cpu and gpu? Not going to happen. You need more raddage.

For pump/res combo, you can't go wrong with a swiftech MCP35X. Product Info .

Last edited:

All depends on your personal preference. There are cylinder and bay reservoir combos. Have a look at the XSPC D5 Photon 170 and the XSPC D5 Photon 270 as well as the Monsoon Series Two DDC or D5 variants.

Both D5 and DDC pumps are the standard, not just D5s as stated before. DDCs have better head pressure than D5s but D5s can be a bit more silent at certain settings. I like both reservoirs I linked and know it is beyond your budget but if you can't flex that much, than I would advice looking at a MCP-50x pump w/ a cylinder reservoir from Swiftech. This should be right on your budget.

I personally like the Monsoon Series Two because it comes with two silver bullets for your biocide of the loop and built-in LEDs in the reservoir as well as being a bay reservoir. XSPC is great for those that like cylinder reservoirs and also comes with a LED as well. It all comes down to personal preference on how you want to route your loop and look. One is not better than the other, etc.

Hope this helps.

Last edited:
Thanks for the quick reply's you guys are great so if a 120mm is not enough would another 240mm be ok? the only reason i'm trying to keep it with a 120mm and a 240mm is because of my phantom 410 abilities to put a radiator in there. Also i think the moonsoon looks good but how good are they like the pump? will it last more then 6 months because i don't want another xspc one

- - - Updated - - -

The 240mm rad will do so-so on that cpu, but that single 120mm rad for the 290 is a waste. You're going to need at least a 360 rad for the 290 alone. I have a 360 rad just for my 4790k oc'ed to 4.7Ghz with 1.3v and my load temps are 50-ish across the board. Idle temps are 36-ish.

From what I gather you're combining a 240 and a single 120 to cool both the cpu and gpu? Not going to happen. You need more raddage.

For pump/res combo, you can't go wrong with a swiftech MCP35X. Product Info .

Will the pump support everything i listed though?

All depends on your personal preference. There are cylinder and bay reservoir combos. Have a look at the XSPC D5 Photon 170 and the XSPC D5 Photon 270 as well as the Monsoon Series Two DDC or D5 variants.

Both D5 and DDC pumps are the standard, not just D5s as stated before. DDCs have better head pressure than D5s but D5s can be a bit more silent at certain settings. I like both reservoirs I linked and know it is beyond your budget but if you can't flex that much, than I would advice looking at a MCP-50x pump w/ a cylinder reservoir from Swiftech. This should be right on your budget.

I personally like the Monsoon Series Two because it comes with two silver bullets for your biocide of the loop and built-in LEDs in the reservoir as well as being a bay reservoir. XSPC is great for those that like cylinder reservoirs and also comes with a LED as well. It all comes down to personal preference on how you want to route your loop and look. One is not better than the other, etc.

Hope this helps.

What would be the difference between http://www.performance-pcs.com/new-monsoon-series-two-d5-premium-dual-5-25-reservoir-red.html and http://www.performance-pcs.com/new-monsoon-series-two-ddc-premium-dual-5-25-reservoir-red.html

Thanks for the quick reply's you guys are great so if a 120mm is not enough would another 240mm be ok? the only reason i'm trying to keep it with a 120mm and a 240mm is because of my phantom 410 abilities to put a radiator in there. Also i think the moonsoon looks good but how good are they like the pump? will it last more then 6 months because i don't want another xspc one

- - - Updated - - -

Will the pump support everything i listed though?

That pump you listed is a DDC pump. It would work only with a compatible reservoir only for DDC pumps. Reservoirs for D5 pumps aren't compatible for DDC pumps and vise versa.

As for your rads, did you already purchase those rads and were measurements done prior? I would have maybe went with the thickest 240mm and 120mm possible but 120.3 worth of heat surface should be ok for that CPU + GPU, regardless. You might not get the greatest Delta-Temps or the quietest rig but it should work no problem. If you haven't purchased anything yet, I would reassess your choices.

The two reservoirs differentiate themselves by the type of pump used. Your first link is specifically only for a D5 pump (MCP655) and the your second link is for a DDC pump (MCP-35x). If you read the product title, you will see which one is for which and the pictures show you as well. The round pump is a D5 and the short square is a DDC pump.

I didn't purchase any of the rads yet as im still planning out the parts carefully anyways what would you recommend for radiators in a phantom 410? nzxt_phantom-410_filled.jpg As you can see i can basically mount a 240mm at the top 120mm at the exhaust and 120mm at the bottom and maybe a 120 mm in the front????? any suggestions???

Well, do a google search of your case and "watercooling" along with it. I came up with a few pics. Not the best cases to water cool in but it will do with what you have.

2d4f6e3c_IMG_20120512_224650.jpeg

Source

e8f7b609_2012-02-14_17-47-25_23.jpeg

Source

P1010810.jpg

Source

Some of these rigs above might have been modded so not sure. You'll have to dig deeper.

Figure out and measure how much rad room you have up top and I believe you can have the fans on the other side which should save you there. The front might need some modding but it looks like a 120mm can fit there or a 240mm modded.

You could mount radiator externally from the rear fan slot like I used to.
It will be little bit more bulky but it works.
resized IMG_2216.jpg

Well, do a google search of your case and "watercooling" along with it. I came up with a few pics. Not the best cases to water cool in but it will do with what you have.

View attachment 160905

Source

View attachment 160906

Source

View attachment 160907

Source

Some of these rigs above might have been modded so not sure. You'll have to dig deeper.

Figure out and measure how much rad room you have up top and I believe you can have the fans on the other side which should save you there. The front might need some modding but it looks like a 120mm can fit there or a 240mm modded.

I think I can mod a 240mm radiator in the front do you have any suggestions on where I can mount my ssd and HDD as my res and pump are going to go in the bay resort also should I go next h440 style then???

I think I can mod a 240mm radiator in the front do you have any suggestions on where I can mount my ssd and HDD as my res and pump are going to go in the bay resort also should I go next h440 style then???

No idea as I don't have the case. Just go to the source and lurk around and see what and how they did their mods. I can only assist you in the right direction. Can't do the homework for ya. ;)

What do you mean by H440 style? Are you talking about using AIOs for the CPU and GPU? Actually that's not a bad idea either. You could go 120.2 AIO for the CPU and a single 120 AIO + GPU bracket for the GPU but you need to have a blower style reference GPU which most aren't.

No idea as I don't have the case. Just go to the source and lurk around and see what and how they did their mods. I can only assist you in the right direction. Can't do the homework for ya. ;)

What do you mean by H440 style? Are you talking about using AIOs for the CPU and GPU? Actually that's not a bad idea either. You could go 120.2 AIO for the CPU and a single 120 AIO + GPU bracket for the GPU but you need to have a blower style reference GPU which most aren't.

No I mean make a plate at the front that covers stuff up at the bottom then mount the ssds at the front and leave yje HDD under that cover ?

Back