• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Water cooling high temps

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Change the loop so you go pump-cpu block-flow meter. The original kit pump should have moved about 1.75 gal per min.

Confirm good block to cpu contact.

10C over ambient a idle is not good results.

Are you pushing the warm case air thru the rad or pulling in cooler outside air? Those xfired gpu's probably has case air at least 30C.

Change the loop so you go pump-cpu block-flow meter. The original kit pump should have moved about 1.75 gal per min.

Confirm good block to cpu contact.

10C over ambient a idle is not good results.

Are you pushing the warm case air thru the rad or pulling in cooler outside air? Those xfired gpu's probably has case air at least 30C.

What will changing the loop do, iv heard it makes not much difference in temps at all, or are you trying to rule out the flow meter being a restriction? Cpu to block contact is good, reseated it again yesterday, I use the pea method, I trial fitted, checked spread was good, cleaned off, re apply and seat permanently.

The new pump is 800lph.
Maybe my flow meter is a heap of crap and causing a restriction.

Ill have to wait till next week to change the hoses, I don't have enough here to re-route them or enough coolant. Even in the res, the coolant isn't very turbulent at all, I thought it would have been moving a lot more. Is it worth removing the flow meter and testing again? Or maybe the way iv connected to the meter, Inlet through right side and outlet through top? (check the vid i posted)

I'm pulling case air though the rads, although the case has good airflow in and out. The GPU's do get pretty warm as well, i have setup a manual fan step up for them so they stay a bit cooler, most of that warm air vents out the rear of the case aside from the radiant heat obviously.

What are load temps on the new pump?

With the fans running at 2500 and Prime running for 15 mins, Core temp says nothing over 80 centigrade. And its probably about 28 centigrade in the house atm, its a really really warm day! That's with the side cover off. Watching the temps, it really doesn't move past 80, more between 75 to 80.

Thanks for all the replies too lads!

Maybe 2-3 deg if that. The difference is negligible.

I pulled out the flow meter today too. It's really hot in the house atm and I'm idling/ (hovering) about 32- 35c I really think that flow meter was very restrictive... I'm sure it used to idle around 40+c the with the same ambient temps (would have to be approx 29c inside the house, no a/c in the study). I haven't seen 32 at all until iv pulled the flow meter. I do have core 3 running about 37c constantly.

And I swear that the loop feels 'cooler' to the touch. Other that that i'm just going to assume the CPU block is a heap of junk.

Also the fans, any recommendations on better ones? 120mm. I want low fan speed but good flow rate.

Last edited:
Helix120s or Noiseblockers. You could go with AP-15s but they are out of business.

I am not familiar with Phobya kits but my guess is they are mediocre. The most affordable and good performing block out there is the XSPC Raystorm.

Check out Martinsliquidlab for more info on fans, blocks etc.

Helix120s or Noiseblockers. You could go with AP-15s but they are out of business.

I am not familiar with Phobya kits but my guess is they are mediocre. The most affordable and good performing block out there is the XSPC Raystorm.

They are only new to kits, they were making water blocks, reservoirs etc for a while but didn't put together kits till not long ago apparently, so thought I'd give it a shot. My other PC runs an XSPC kit and it works great. If I can't sort this one out ill be pulling it and swapping kits. Seems to be ok for the moment, idling around 33 in a hot room. Ill run Prime tomorrow when its cooler and see what happens.

Looks like removing the flow meter made a substantial improvement. Could be you have a bad meter, if it's a impeller type maybe to much resistance on the impeller. Can you disassemble the flow meter and check it?

Unless Im mistaken FrozenCPU has a stock of 600 or so AP-15's left and Perf-PC still has AP-14s. It's sad that Nidec and Scythe parted ways :(

Unless Im mistaken FrozenCPU has a stock of 600 or so AP-15's left and Perf-PC still has AP-14s. It's sad that Nidec and Scythe parted ways :(

Don't get me wrong, there's lots of them out there but that is the last stock left out there. Its up to the user if they want to pay that premium price and not have support or warranty with it.

I say the NB E loops are the better choose here
They are very close to the AP's in tests and they are still around
The cables are sleeved and come in two lengths

Looks like removing the flow meter made a substantial improvement. Could be you have a bad meter, if it's a impeller type maybe to much resistance on the impeller. Can you disassemble the flow meter and check it?

Here is a pic of the meter i have
http://hellfiretoyz.com/media/catal...78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/F/I/FI-V-UB.jpg

It's so simple so i don't see how much it made a difference, unless it was just the way I had the inlet and the outlet routed. But either way, the temps dropped. Now just to choose a decent set of fans.

Don't get me wrong, there's lots of them out there but that is the last stock left out there. Its up to the user if they want to pay that premium price and not have support or warranty with it.

Are these what you are both talking about: Even though they are sold out

http://www.pccasegear.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=19502

Also, have you got a part no recommendation for the Noiseblockers? These seems to look pretty good although it doesn't list the static. http://www.pccasegear.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=9_1471&products_id=23081

Yes those are the fans we are mentioning. There are plenty of alternatives, San Ace 9s, Akasa Viper, Noiseblockers, Aerocool Sharks, etc.

Yes those are the fans we are mentioning. There are plenty of alternatives, San Ace 9s, Akasa Viper, Noiseblockers, Aerocool Sharks, etc.

So many different reviews say different things. ill have a search for a sticky before we go off topic here, thanks bud.

Back