• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Water Cooling part list for Gigabyte 970A-UD3P

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Friburg

Registered
Hey all.

I'm wanting to make a parts list for a water cooling set up in my rig. As you can see, my specs are in my sig.

I don't have a GPU worthy of WC yet so I'll leave that off the list, I'm also not too interested in WCing my RAM, though I might depending on how much money I have and the advantages of doing it.

I'm having a hard time figuring out where to start when it comes to the mobo cooling, like FSB and SB/NB cooling, though I did find some stuff on the EKWB site but it's EOL and I can't seem to find anywhere that stock it :-/

I've found a CPU block again by EKWB, the EK-Supreme LTX AMD - Acetal+Nickel CSQ.

I am a total uber noob when it comes to this :chair:

If you could suggest some parts for me that would be more beneficial to me, I would really appreciate it.

-Fri

Something tells me its probably not going to be worth watercooling what is a relatively cheap motherboard you will usually find more options for the 990FX platform, watercooling RAM isn't really something that provides any benefit apart from maybe looking cool usually it hinders water cooling due to extremely restrictive watercooling blocks.

To get started I'd reccomend just your CPU only.. what case do you have currnetly?

Something tells me its probably not going to be worth watercooling what is a relatively cheap motherboard you will usually find more options for the 990FX platform, watercooling RAM isn't really something that provides any benefit apart from maybe looking cool usually it hinders water cooling due to extremely restrictive watercooling blocks.

To get started I'd reccomend just your CPU only.. what case do you have currnetly?

It's a cruddy Jeantech Aqua case, though I soon hope to be getting a new case. I've got my eyes set on the Corsair Graphite 230T.

-Fri

Water cooling isn't cheap. I really don't think it would be wise to sink a bunch of money into a loop for an entry level board like you are using. If you are going to do it I would highly recommend you get your ducks all in a row first with a good solid base to build your loop for. That being a solid Motherboard and a case meant to work with a custom water loop. But this is your money and system ....... ask for advice and people will give it.

Generally speaking cooling the Motherboard and Ram is not recommended as it adds too much restriction to the loop. Now that being said I have always wondered if there are any advantages to cooling the Northbridge / VRM on my board. The loop has been built and my first run is looking promising. You can follow the results over in the Just Putzin thread in the AMD CPU section.

Corsair Graphite 230T
If you really want to do a custom loop make sure you have a case that will be able to hold everything in it. That case will probably hold a 240 radiator but you may have clearance issues with the top of the motherboard if the rad is mounted up top. There are also no holes in the case to mount the radiator outside the case if need be.

I also agree that cooling the Ram will give you no benefits unless you're planning on overclocking the pee out of them with a lot of volts.

The Nb/Vrm as Bassnut pointed out will give you some benefits but really only if you are planning on pushing really hard on the chip.

Most important thing for watercooling is do it right the first time, so go into the stickies and read, read and read some more. Otherwise you'll spend less now and more later.

If you really want to do a custom loop make sure you have a case that will be able to hold everything in it. That case will probably hold a 240 radiator but you may have clearance issues with the top of the motherboard if the rad is mounted up top. There are also no holes in the case to mount the radiator outside the case if need be.

I also agree that cooling the Ram will give you no benefits unless you're planning on overclocking the pee out of them with a lot of volts.

The Nb/Vrm as Bassnut pointed out will give you some benefits but really only if you are planning on pushing really hard on the chip.

Most important thing for watercooling is do it right the first time, so go into the stickies and read, read and read some more. Otherwise you'll spend less now and more later.

+1 This. You took the words out of my mouth mandrake.

Back