• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Water draining problem PLEASE HELP!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

jbird54

Hey guys, new member here. I received a water cooled PC as a gift, and the pump seems to be broken. The loop went through the CPU and video card. I want to switch back to air cooling because I am not in need of serious cooling and don't have the funds to replace a pump. I was able to remove the video card and put the air cooling stuff back on it, but I have no idea how to drain the water out of the rest of the system so I can switch back to air. Anyone have any suggestions?

Thank you so much for your time!

I am assuming that there is no drain port on the system. If the video card block was a full cover block, and has 4 ports with 2 blocked off and 2 with barbs or fittings, then it will make it easier. Since you already removed the card, you wont have to worry about getting it wet. Just unscrew one of the plugs in the block, and let the water drain into a pan or container. Unscrewing the fill port on the reservoir will allow the water to drain quickly. Then just carefully remove the rest of the components trying not to get any residual water on any components. Place some towels around to help avoid getting water all over the place. Hope this helps explain it.

Edit forgot to add that if you don't have a full cover block, then you will have to pop off one of the hoses to drain the system. If it is a barb fitting just loosen the clamp (right tight left loose) and pull it off the barb. If it is a compression fitting, just loosen the sleeve (left is loose) and pull the hose off.

Welcome to OCFs!

I am a bit confused because if you took the GPU out of the system that would indeed require of some type of drainage to ensue. If you could be more specific and possibly give us some pics of the situation that could really help us here.

Welcome to OCFs!

I am a bit confused because if you took the GPU out of the system that would indeed require of some type of drainage to ensue. If you could be more specific and possibly give us some pics of the situation that could really help us here.

I think that he just pulled the cpu and gpu block off, and needs to drain the system to remove it. You can remove any 1 sided block without opening the water loop.

Here are some pics:

Let me know if you need to see anything else. The GPU in my hand is the one I removed from the system, and the two white tubes were connected to it. When I removed the ends of each of those tubes a little bit of water came out for a few seconds then stopped, but turning the pump on did not cause any more water to come out of any of them.

but turning the pump on did not cause any more water to come out of any of them.

That right there might have killed the pump unless it was dead from before. Would you know the cause of that? Was it working when it was gifted to you?

Technically you drained your loop by disconnecting it from the GPU but that isn't the best method. You'll want to remove all the water cooling gear and assume there is still water in them. As said before get some towels and lay them on the PC components. Just make sure nothing gets wet.

Well there is still a lot of water in the reservoir, and it's not draining which makes me think there's a clog.

I just need to figure out how to safely get the water out so I can remove all the water cooling parts and switch back to air.

Thank you so much for the replies so far, I really appreciate it :)

just unscerw the pump/res thingy and pull it out the front of the case, plug the open ends of the hoses first.
do you have the aircooler for the vid card or for the gpu?

Just unscrew the reservoirs fill port and watch how fast that thing pours out. It's very possible that there is extreme build up on the pump hence why the fluid isn't exiting from the res. What fluid and biocide was being used here? Did this rig come this way as a "gift" or did it happen under your control? How old is it and whens was the last time maintenance was done to it?

If there is a clog in the system your pump may actually be good. Although if it ran dry for any considerable time it's unlikely, but still worth looking into.

Back