• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Watercooling Q's & i7 920 OC

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Charr

Hey, I'm thinking about getting my feet wet, but can't find enough info about what kind of radiator I would need. Right now I have my specs in my sig. My i7 is at 3.99GHz with 1.31 vcore. It idles between 36-39C, and loads about 70-75C with HT enabled.

I will be watercooling my CPU for now, but plan to add two GPUs to watercool later. I am getting a new case for this, and was eyeballing the Antec 1200, GTZ CPU block, and going for two loops. However, I have tall plans for my i7 by pushing it to 210-220 (HT off), and don't think a small rad would cut it for just the CPU. I have been thinking a PA160 mounted to the 200mm Antec fan, but I have doubts about it. With this setup, I would put a 120.3 rad up front with my 3 HDDs for the second loop.

But, recently I have been thinking about moving the hard drives to the back fans, and taking up the entire front with a single 120.4 for everything. In either case, I'd be using medium panaflos for the 120 radiator.

Also, if any parts are a problem, its not a problem. Nothing is purchased yet, so it can be changed. And if anyone has suggestions, it is greatly appreciated :)

for a overclocked i7 a double 120mm rad is the smallest i would go. ideally a triple for high overclocks is best.

Feser, therochill, XSPC RX series are all good for low speed fans.
Swiftech MCR series is good with mediums
and BLack Ice GTX is best with high speed.

that being said i would grab a triple for the i7 and pending what video cards a double 120mm.

For GPUs, they would be something GTX260s or HD4870s.

How would a single 480 rad with 4 panaflo mediums perform with an i7, and 2 GPU non coverage blocks on it? Would the Panaflos work better with higher or lower fin count?

of the gpu's listed i would say the quad will handle all that stock. it would give a bit over overclocking on the cpu. but i don't see the best temps with high overclocks on both.

keep in mind i have no experience with i7's heat. i do read up alot on it but just letting you know. wait for others to chime in and give there experience.

Yea, a 480 rad and SLI on those cards would be okay. Your load temps will be lower, and you get rid of the loud fans on the GPU's.

I'm not saying you will see a +10C over ambient air temps, so don't expect your CPU to load at 45C, but it should be in the 60's and your rig will be quieter for sure.

Back