• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

WB for the GTX 1080 FTW2?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

A72CUTLAS

Registered
Hey guys, I'm looking at parts for my first cooling loop and can not find a water block for my GPU, an EVGA GTX 1080 FTW2. I know it's an older board but shouldn't there still be wb's available? Any help is appreciated.

Looks like EK used to make one but they stopped. Maybe look for a used one? With so many custom PCBs for cards, it must be difficult for manufacturers to keep them all in stock. Have you checked all the usuals? EK, bitspower, alphacool, barrow etc?

Yes I've looked and the EK was the only one I found. I've tried ebay too and there was nothing. I was hoping to discover someplace I was unaware of by posting here, like some other used parts site. You may have just answered this but is the FTW2 a reference board maybe? Also I was wondering maybe if the FTW3 block may fit? BTW, I appreciate you answering my numerous noobie questions.

Definitely not a reference, otherwise EK would list their reference block in the configurator. But looks like Aflac found one for the card, just wanted to chime in and make sure that you didn't try to purchase a reference block.

Oh YEAH!!:rock: I knew I'd find help on this site! Thanks to all who replied, especially Aflac! I had just about settled for an AIO which would've been cheaper(but less fun) for just cooling a CPU. Now I can get everything purchased and join the water-cooled society.
Thanks again guys!

BTW, here's what I'm thinking, open to all comments/suggestions.

Bitspower CPU Block Summit M Acrylic - Digital RGB
HEATKILLER® IV for GTX 1080 and 1070 FTW/FTW2 - ACRYL Ni-Bl
XSPC TX360 Ultrathin Radiator
Pure Plus 12 LED RGB Radiator Fan TT Premium Edition (3-Fan Pack)
Thermaltake Pacific PR22-D5 Plus Addressable RGB LED 5-Speed Adjustable D5 Pump/Reservoir Combo

Haven't really decided on hard or soft tubing yet. Like the challenge of bending hard lines and the better look but thinking maybe I ought to try the easier soft tubes for my virgin loop.

Glad I could help out. I ran into the same problem until I stumbled upon that block. You might have a bit easier time finding it in the US. I had to order it straight from Germany since Canada suppliers are pretty limited to say the least. I'm a little jealous of the options you guys have.

I'd get the backplate for the video card too - http://shop.watercool.de/epages/WatercooleK.sf/en_GB/?ObjectPath=/Shops/WatercooleK/Products/16064

I'm not sure what kind of budget you're on but check out the Protium Pump Res combo. I bought mine from here - http://www.performance-pcs.com/singularity-computers-protium-d5-reservoir-combo-150mm-acetal.html

You can get clear and different res sizes too. This DOES NOT come with a pump so you have to order that separately - http://www.performance-pcs.com/pumps/singularity-computers-protium-d5-pwm-pump.html

Very high quality stuff and I think it looks really good with lots of inlet options.

I just finished my first ever custom loop as well and went with hard tubing. It's fun and beyond frustrating trying to line up the bends but it's extremely satisfying once you get it.

Here's picture of my setup.

Build.jpg

Good luck with the build.

You're going to be cutting it a little close running a slim 360mm if you want to OC both parts or if you're concerned about silence especially. You're looking at 285w stock. My setup at 295w stock with a 60mm rad is acceptable, even going up by 50W with moderate OC doesn't impact it hugely, but fans are very noticeable under load. Fans get outrageous and deltas T jumps quite a bit once I start pushing the card and nearing 400w on the system.

Just depends on your use I guess, but more would definitely be better.

Last edited:
Glad I could help out. I ran into the same problem until I stumbled upon that block. You might have a bit easier time finding it in the US. I had to order it straight from Germany since Canada suppliers are pretty limited to say the least. I'm a little jealous of the options you guys have.

I'd get the backplate for the video card too - http://shop.watercool.de/epages/WatercooleK.sf/en_GB/?ObjectPath=/Shops/WatercooleK/Products/16064

I'm not sure what kind of budget you're on but check out the Protium Pump Res combo. I bought mine from here - http://www.performance-pcs.com/singularity-computers-protium-d5-reservoir-combo-150mm-acetal.html

You can get clear and different res sizes too. This DOES NOT come with a pump so you have to order that separately - http://www.performance-pcs.com/pumps/singularity-computers-protium-d5-pwm-pump.html

Very high quality stuff and I think it looks really good with lots of inlet options.

I just finished my first ever custom loop as well and went with hard tubing. It's fun and beyond frustrating trying to line up the bends but it's extremely satisfying once you get it.

Here's picture of my setup.

Good luck with the build.

Hey that's a helluva loop you got there! And that being your first has given me a bit of confidence with my own. How much tubing did you go through before getting it to look that good? In other words if you mess up on a cut/bend do you trash that piece? And I looked at the Protium series combo, but I just couldn't justify paying that much for just that one piece. Thought it is beautiful and seeing yours is giving me pause. Decisions, decisions...:confused:

You're going to be cutting it a little close running a slim 360mm if you want to OC both parts or if you're concerned about silence especially. You're looking at 285w stock. My setup at 295w stock with a 60mm rad is acceptable, even going up by 50W with moderate OC doesn't impact it hugely, but fans are very noticeable under load. Fans get outrageous and deltas T jumps quite a bit once I start pushing the card and nearing 400w on the system.

Just depends on your use I guess, but more would definitely be better.

I appreciate that info "Z", because I'm not a big OC'er but with water-cooling I'll definitely test the limits. The only reason I went with the slim rad is so it would fit in the side slot in the 011 dynamic. And as that's the one piece I've bought already, I guess I'll be adding another, maybe in the top as exhaust.

Oh YEAH!!:rock: I knew I'd find help on this site! Thanks to all who replied, especially Aflac! I had just about settled for an AIO which would've been cheaper(but less fun) for just cooling a CPU. Now I can get everything purchased and join the water-cooled society.
Thanks again guys!

BTW, here's what I'm thinking, open to all comments/suggestions.

Bitspower CPU Block Summit M Acrylic - Digital RGB
HEATKILLER® IV for GTX 1080 and 1070 FTW/FTW2 - ACRYL Ni-Bl
XSPC TX360 Ultrathin Radiator
Pure Plus 12 LED RGB Radiator Fan TT Premium Edition (3-Fan Pack)
Thermaltake Pacific PR22-D5 Plus Addressable RGB LED 5-Speed Adjustable D5 Pump/Reservoir Combo

Haven't really decided on hard or soft tubing yet. Like the challenge of bending hard lines and the better look but thinking maybe I ought to try the easier soft tubes for my virgin loop.

If you get compression fittings and start w/ soft tubing to "figure things out" you can then just eventually go hard tubing w/ out needing to buy new fittings. I went w/ EK everything on my recent build and I'm extremely happy, but I know I'll go hard tubing eventually.

Hey that's a helluva loop you got there! And that being your first has given me a bit of confidence with my own. How much tubing did you go through before getting it to look that good? In other words if you mess up on a cut/bend do you trash that piece? And I looked at the Protium series combo, but I just couldn't justify paying that much for just that one piece. Thought it is beautiful and seeing yours is giving me pause. Decisions, decisions...:confused:

It's a learning process for sure and buy plenty more tubing than you think you'll need. I went through a few sticks on the first bend just getting used to it and then I used a bunch on the double bend. I just couldn't get it but I'm so glad I stuck to it. It's an experience for sure. I knew I wouldn't be happy with flexible tubing so I just jumped right in.

Good luck!! It's worth it when you get a finished product.

OK guys here's whats happened so far. I missed out on the Heatkiller WB so now its out of stock. I sent an email about when it would be available again but haven't heard back yet. I did run across this https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Byk...-Graphics-Card-Water-Cooling/32818048730.html and was wondering if anyone has any knowledge/experience with Bykski or Ali Express? Also picked up this rad to add or replace the slim one already purchased. http://www.performance-pcs.com/hardware-labs-black-icer-nemesisr-gtr-satin-white-radiator-360mm.html Any thoughts?

How thick is that 360mm rad? I didn't see a detailed size description of it. If it's over say 45mm consider push/pull

That's a Hardware Labs GTR which is 54.7mm thick. My question is do I use both rads or send the TX back?. I know the more surface area you have for cooling the better right? Or would that be just overkill?

That's a Hardware Labs GTR which is 54.7mm thick. My question is do I use both rads or send the TX back?. I know the more surface area you have for cooling the better right? Or would that be just overkill?

Heck I have 3 rads in my machine so w/ that much surface area my fans are entirely silent even at long term full loads.

OK so that brings up another question. How is your loop routed? Do you have a rad between each wb? Or maybe have the rads linked together as if it were an enormous 840mm rad? Now that would be awesome! :thup::thup: Well, I think I've decided to jump in the pool feet first and do a hardline build. Just have to wait until that Heatkiller GPU block is back in stock. I can't find any prominent reviews for that Bykski block Seems like they are popular in China(?) but the too low price and looong shipping times has me leary.
Anyway thank you for the response and the information, I'm starting to feel a bit more confident I'm not about to fry/drown my computer.

OK so that brings up another question. How is your loop routed? Do you have a rad between each wb? Or maybe have the rads linked together as if it were an enormous 840mm rad? Now that would be awesome! :thup::thup: Well, I think I've decided to jump in the pool feet first and do a hardline build. Just have to wait until that Heatkiller GPU block is back in stock. I can't find any prominent reviews for that Bykski block Seems like they are popular in China(?) but the too low price and looong shipping times has me leary.
Anyway thank you for the response and the information, I'm starting to feel a bit more confident I'm not about to fry/drown my computer.

Here is a pic of my loop, but everyone w/ experience will in the end tell you that loop order doesn't matter at all. The temperature of the coolant will eventually normalize so having 1 device in front or behind another in a loop is a moot point. The only thing to maybe think about is where the radiators are exhausting their heat. As you will see in mine the "hottest" rad will be my top rad as the coolant is being heated by the VEGA 64 and then the 8700k so that heat is being exhausted up top and by the time it gets to the front intake 360 rad it's not as hot thus not as much heat is being blown into the case. So radiator placement is more important than the order of the loop.

Granted this is just my opinion and experience and there are a lot of youtube videos that show rad placement is more important than loop order as well. The only thing I would improve on my loop really is to make draining easier.

20190309_154014.jpg

That's a nice set-up! Your 3rd rad's not visible but it's on the back of your case right? I think I'll build mine similar with just 2 rads, an XT-45 X-Flow in push/pull exhausting out of the top and the TX360 slim one in the side chamber as intake.

Lian Li Loop.jpg

Now I hadn't planned to have any intake at all but I noticed one of yours is intake. I thought I wouldn't need any air since CPU/GPU are on water. Anyhow I can't wait till that GPU block is available, I'm getting antsy.
I noticed that you said you'd set your drain up different. How so? I see you have a QDC at the bottom of your res, is that not easy to use? If not how/what would you do different? Thanks for taking time to answer my questions(I know there are many).

You can see the rear rad here and my drain port at the lowest point in my system coming from my rez/pump.

You'll always need some type of intake getting fresh air into your system because your other parts like your ram, vrms, nvme, all need fresh air too.

For draining I just attache a tube to the drain port, turn the knob and the draining starts, when it stops I eventually open up the top port on my rez/pump for added air flow.

Your drawing looks good, post some pics when you are putting it together!

20190309_154014.jpg

This is a pic from the rear before I flipped the front rad and re-ran the tubing on the bottom. (no idea why the pic is sideways when it's upload to this forum...)
20190302_132850.jpg

Attachments

• 20190310_193910.jpg
    20190310_193910.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 232
Last edited:
Back