• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

WC Parts list, Please review before I buy

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Smitty1258

Parts list, unless someone changes my mind on something.

Swiftech APOGEE Waterblock
http://www.crazypc.com/products/93031.html

Swiftech Quiet Power 3x120mm Radiator
http://www.xoxide.com/swiftech-quiet...-radiator.html

VIA AQUA MODEL 1300(But im thinking about the 1800, or 2300, anyone have thoughts on this?)
http://www.drsfostersmith.com/produ...&Ntx=mode+matchallpartial&Np=1&pc=1&N=0&Nty=1

ClearFLEX 60 Tubing 1/2" ID / 3/4" OD
http://www.jab-tech.com/ClearFLEX-60-Tubing-1-2-ID-3-4-OD-pr-2431.html

Metal Gear worm clamps and T line from Auto Store.

This is my first WC system ever! I want to make sure I order everything I will need.

Will these barbs work? http://www.jab-tech.com/3-8-NPT-thread-to-1-2-barb-fitting-for-1-2-ID-tubing-pr-2573.html

If someone could help me with tubing and barbs that would be great. I need to get 2 barbs for my rad, and I just want to make sure I get the correct sized tubing, which I think I have linked above.

I think I have everything, Block, Rad, Barbs, Tline, Pump, Clamps, Tubing, already have fans here at home.

Does anyone see anything Im missing?

Thanks in advance,
Tyler

If you are just cooling a cpu, you totally do not need a 3x120 rad. I would get the swiftech 2x120 rad from Jab-tech, and an MCP655 or MCP355 pump also from them. The rad should come with barbs.

When it comes to pumps, you get what you pay for. A via aqua 1800 is OK, but that really is all it is, and you have the AC relay issue to deal with if you want it to power on and off with your computer.

For tubing and clamps, get them from mcmaster.com. 1/2"id 3/4"OD is item number 5233K68, or for a little less bulk, you can get 7/16"ID 5/8"OD, item number 5233K44. The 7/16"ID is harder to get onto the barbs, but it is quite a bit less bulky. Get your clamps from them also. You want the "Type 430 Stainless Steel Nonperforated Worm-Drive Hose and Tube Clamps", item number 5076K13 for 3/4"OD tubing, or 5076K12 for 5/8"OD tubing. These clamps are smooth-lined and don't cut into the tubing at all. They cost about the same as clamps bought locally but are WAY better.

Definitely order all the stuff from Jab-tech. Their Customer service is awesome.

SiGfever said:
What is your budget and items that you are trying to cool (ex. CPU model)?

Well I havent really set a budget. But im looking for low price, but quality stuff.

First Ill start with my current system.

Asus A8N-SLI
AMD64 X2 4200+
Thermalright xp-120(with 87cfm fan VERY LOUD!!)
2 7800GT SLI
1 gig ram
few hard drives
etc..

For starters I am just looking to cool my CPU for now, will add my GPU'S later. Sometime i hope to update to the new asus crossfire board as well as some an am2 and ddr2.

If you are just cooling a cpu, you totally do not need a 3x120 rad. I would get the swiftech 2x120 rad from Jab-tech, and an MCP655 or MCP355 pump also from them. The rad should come with barbs.

When it comes to pumps, you get what you pay for. A via aqua 1800 is OK, but that really is all it is, and you have the AC relay issue to deal with if you want it to power on and off with your computer.

For tubing and clamps, get them from mcmaster.com. 1/2"id 3/4"OD is item number 5233K68, or for a little less bulk, you can get 7/16"ID 5/8"OD, item number 5233K44. The 7/16"ID is harder to get onto the barbs, but it is quite a bit less bulky. Get your clamps from them also. You want the "Type 430 Stainless Steel Nonperforated Worm-Drive Hose and Tube Clamps", item number 5076K13 for 3/4"OD tubing, or 5076K12 for 5/8"OD tubing. These clamps are smooth-lined and don't cut into the tubing at all. They cost about the same as clamps bought locally but are WAY better.

I wanted the big rad for when I get both my GPUS tied into the system. I have read alot of good things on the VIA pumps, and ppl say they are not as good as others, but I have yet to find an article comparing them, and showing the difference. I dont plan on any AC relay, as my computer runs 24/7, and so would the pump. I dont think I would need to worry about overheating due to pump failure as long as I set my shutoff temp at a decent temp. I would however like to see something on why I should not go with the VIA pump.

I will go with the tubing and clamps you recomended! Thanks for the P/N!

Thanks,
Tyler

That makes more sense on the 120x3 rad if you are going to put 2 gpus on it also, although a 120x2 will still cool that just fine. As for the pump issue, look at the specs of the MCP355. It has 20ft of head pressure with a MTBF of 50,000 hours and is very small and compact. Especially if you add an aftermarket top like the alphacool or one of the new petras tech shop tops (if you can get one), you are talking about a very small, high pressure, good flow pump that will last for a long, long, time. The Via has max 6ft of head, and although I have read some say that it is reliable, it is just will not perform or last anywhere near what a MCP355 will, and is not going to cut it especially with two GPUs added to the mix.

voigts said:
That makes more sense on the 120x3 rad if you are going to put 2 gpus on it also, although a 120x2 will still cool that just fine. As for the pump issue, look at the specs of the MCP355. It has 20ft of head pressure with a MTBF of 50,000 hours and is very small and compact. Especially if you add an aftermarket top like the alphacool or one of the new petras tech shop tops (if you can get one), you are talking about a very small, high pressure, good flow pump that will last for a long, long, time. The Via has max 6ft of head, and although I have read some say that it is reliable, it is just will not perform or last anywhere near what a MCP355 will, and is not going to cut it especially with two GPUs added to the mix.

I am taking what you said into consideration, however I would like to have a pump that I can plug into the wall(not sure why?)other than I dont want to tax my PS anymore than I already am.

Thanks,
Tyler

I agree with voigts on the pump... i've seen many via's drop dead. If your pump goes dust, likely will your components - not something I would risk. People forget to turn AC pumps on too, seen it happen many times. Things melt and water everywhere. I'd go back to aircooling before I used a via pump. And BTW, a DDC 18w only uses 18w of power, if that is going to tax your PSU then you need a new PSU anyway. My .02

-use BIPII for quite or BIXII for lower temps (performance).

-Water block is a good one although storm would give you a lower temp but reduce flow also (not a problem if you are only cooling cpu)
-That pump is a P.O.S and WILL eventually kill you system. get a mcp350 either 12w or 18w version (silent, strong, reliable, last forever)

- get masterclear 7/16 id tubbing and force it over 1/2" barbs and get your worm drive clamps from them also.
Masterkleer PVC Tubing 7/16" Id, 5/8" Od, 3/32" Wall Thickness. Part No. 5233K44 at mcmaster-carr.com and the clamp part number is 5321K17 for a package of 10.

-fans will depend on the rad you buy but I use hi flow rads so I use panaflow fans because the move alot of air and throttle well with my fan controller. Deltas work well too.

- get a fan controller do not run fans off of motherboard check these out here
I like the rheobus becuase it is 11 doll hairs. I just take the led's out because the are wicked bright. check out my system to get ideas here

hope this all helps you on your way...... water cooling is a blast and if you dont rush it and buy quality stuff it is very reliable....key is dont buy junk and take your time.
Juctchill

Well the reason I didnt want a pump that ran off my PSU was because I didnt want to risk the leak, but Im really thinking about it now. I think i just might go with that pump you noted above(the mcp350)Where is the cheapest place to find this pump?.

I think im also going to go with that tubing you suggested also.

Yes I have slowed down on my rush of getting parts. I want to make sure I get what i want/need. And whats good to!

Thanks,
Tyler

Yes I have slowed down on my rush of getting parts. I want to make sure I get what i want/need. And whats good to!
it will truly pay in the end. The Laing DDC (aka: swiftech mcp350) pump is bar none the best pump all around and the 18w version (dubed the laing DDC+) is even better. In the thread that I linked to with my rig in it I have the mcp 350 atached to a alphacool top but you do not need to go that far you can run the pump at stock and it will be fine. The only obticle is downsizing the hose to 3/8" when ataching to the pump or I could modd my extra top to 1/2" and send it to you but I would have to get somthing for my time and shipping ($20) or so. you could install the top yourself its only 4 screws.
I also have a OCZ modstream 520w power supply that I am going to sell if you are interested let me know I will let it go cheep. That psu will be more than enough to power your whole system and the pump with room to spare.
JC

Smitty1258 said:
Well the reason I didnt want a pump that ran off my PSU was because I didnt want to risk the leak, but Im really thinking about it now. I think i just might go with that pump you noted above(the mcp350)Where is the cheapest place to find this pump?.

I think im also going to go with that tubing you suggested also.

Thanks,
Tyler

The pump isn't the only thing that has a chance of leaking ^^;;. Go with the mcp355 or d5 or 50z.

JustChill said:
it will truly pay in the end. The Laing DDC (aka: swiftech mcp350) pump is bar none the best pump all around and the 18w version (dubed the laing DDC+) is even better. In the thread that I linked to with my rig in it I have the mcp 350 atached to a alphacool top but you do not need to go that far you can run the pump at stock and it will be fine. The only obticle is downsizing the hose to 3/8" when ataching to the pump or I could modd my extra top to 1/2" and send it to you but I would have to get somthing for my time and shipping ($20) or so. you could install the top yourself its only 4 screws.
I also have a OCZ modstream 520w power supply that I am going to sell if you are interested let me know I will let it go cheep. That psu will be more than enough to power your whole system and the pump with room to spare.
JC

Ok great, I dont need the PSU I have a 600W. I just thought the pumps took more than that. But Id like to have the clear top part like you do, thats just bad looking! :)

I think im going to stick with the rad I have choosen.

Any thoughts on anything else I have picked?

I think im almost ready to order!

Thanks,
Tyler

Back