• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

wc SETUP INQUIRY

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

gborrillo

Registered
Wondering what makes the most sense for my setup, described below...

I have pretty much all the supplies needed, but perhaps dont need them all. Currently, I have a mag drive pump, a swiftech mcp55 (no speed controller), and the small flat swiftech pump. ALso have the single rad thermochill, as well as the black ice extreme II for dual fans, plus a few other single rads.

I have it currently set up with my hygon pump to dual rad to tdx block to single thermochill to hdd danger den block back to pump (y from reservoir)

I was just thinking if the HDD loop is even necessary - and perhaps just go with the thermochill, cpu and hygon pump (or maybe the swiftech?)

Thoughts/comments would be greatly appreciated.

My current rig is composed of: CD Extreme 6700, Striker, 8800 GTX, 4x 1066 Dominators, Stacker 832, 1T Hitachi, 2 150 Raptors.

I doubt the hard drive loop will do you much good, and will probably worsen performance of the rest of the loop. Just blow some air over the hard drives and they should be fine.

Ya, thats what I pretty much gathered. Just a waste of tubing/ and takes up extra space. Would you use the single thermochill and that alone? or use the black ice ext instead, or both? As for the pump, would you stick with the hydor, or go to the swiftech? or does it matter?

so, pump-rad-pump (Y with res). Thats it?

As far as dual pumps I find it unlikely that your setup (just cooling the cpu) will see much benefit to running two pumps. And even if it was a good idea, I probably wouldn't put two different pumps in the same loop. As far as hydor vs swiftech, try each one and see what your temps are. If indeed you are just cooling the cpu I think the thermochill with a low speed fan would work very nicely.

Cool, so I am going to go with the Hydor - Thermochill - TDX - pump/res, and see how that goes. I dont doubt that my temps will go down just by taking the whole HDD thing outta the way.

In the near future, I will be doubling up my 8800s so, I see a mod to this setup coming shiortly. For now, I hope will do fine.

By the way, I was asking about running 2 pumps. Just wondering which pump to run, and which to return. I presume you meant running 2 RADS.....lol

Thanks Irish

Sorry, I musunderstood. Is the small flat swiftech an mcp350/355? If so then I would use that one. I don't know anything about hydors.

:welcome: to the forum, gborrillo

gborrillo said:
mcp55 (no speed controller)
Did you mean the mcp655?

What is your main goal for this system?

Thanks, otter. My main goal??? Nothing particular in mind...just sorta got the 'wc' bug and Ive always been known to want to get the best of the best...More importantly, and seriously though - stability is key for me. But if my pc can look cool at the same time, then I am game...

Okay, then either the mcp655 or the small flat swiftech pump will do nicely. Go with the smaller pump if you're looking for serious quiet.

You are correct that HD watercooling is fairly useless in most situations, but the DD HD cooler is not very restrictive. If you have it, it won't hurt anything to use it as long as you've got a good pump (which you do).

If you're going to use only one of the rads, make it the double BIX. It's true the thermochill PA rads have a superior design, but a rad with twice the frontal area will always win. If you don't care about noise, use a couple fairly powerful fans. If noise is an issue, use quiet fans like the Yate Loon D12SL-12. These won't perform optimally on the BIX, but you can experiment with push-pull (or pull pull) and a custom shroud to convert the restrictive double rad to a very nice single fan rad. Cardboard and duct tape makes a great shroud prototype.

gborrillo said:
I have it currently set up with my hygon pump to dual rad to tdx block to single thermochill to hdd danger den block back to pump (y from reservoir)
Eh? Do you mean you're using a Y instead of a T-line between the res and the pump, and you feed this line with your res?

Back