• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Weak Core?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
While I do agree with 'trents' about buying another cpu rather than better cooling is just a crap-shoot...I have seen some stange things here lately with FX processors since the binning by AMD to produce the 9370 and 9590 FX processors. That is all that I am comfortable in saying. I do not like to interject more speculation than fact.

"Johan45" surely likes his FX-6350 and it overclocks like mad according to "johan". I have to remember he is on g00d water though. One thing about having 6 or 8 cores is that you can always disable down to only 4 cores, if that is all the cores you need at one time and RE-enable the cores for heavier duty work.

All things considered "papadan" you will likely enjoy a good FX-6350.
RGone...ster.
Good point about disabling cores. I would think that they would still be operating to some degree. Would the temps. drop a significant amount to be useful ?

Good point about disabling cores. I would think that they would still be operating to some degree. Would the temps. drop a significant amount to be useful ?

There are many things about cpus and mobos that it is difficult to get a *straight* answer about. (1. It is 'said' that disabling cores on an intel processor does turn them off. (2. It is said that disabling cores on the FX processor puts the cores into "idle" mode and they do not accelerate up with any of the ENabled cores. So yes and AMEN the cpu would run cooler for sure, since there would be less cores hauling major booty.

You have to watch it close (to notice) and I try to but there is a user in here putting up some very fast overclock numbers and he is doing it with all but one module DISabled. So it is quite possible to do some astounding things with some cores taking a nap as it were. Hehehe.
RGone...ster.

Thanks trents & RGone good info. I have in the past disabled 2 cores on the 4170 & couldn't see much of a difference in temps. Maybe on the 6 & 8 core there would be a bigger change.

Well the temp. got down to about 45F last night & I bumped the FSB up one more (4.768). It looks like old #4 has given all it is going to. Prime lasted for 3 tests with #4 exiting. The other 3 went for an Hr. before I stopped it. I took Vcore up to 1.527 but no joy. I'm going to get a 6350 & start again.
Dan

You are at 4.7Ghz... what more are you looking for out of a CPU? I mean for benchmarking, have at it! But for daily use... back that thing down to 4.6 or 4.5Ghz where it is stable and enjoy it. To me, for a daily driver, no sense spend more money and gamble on a better CPU, ya know?

You are at 4.7Ghz... what more are you looking for out of a CPU? I mean for benchmarking, have at it! But for daily use... back that thing down to 4.6 or 4.5Ghz where it is stable and enjoy it. To me, for a daily driver, no sense spend more money and gamble on a better CPU, ya know?
Agreed, unless you plan on getting better cooling I'd be surprised if you can get a Fx 6300 above 4.5-4.6 for 24/7 clocks. If you're just looking to push to extremes on Air ditch Prime and just see what benches you can run the Fx 4k at.

Yeah, I am just playing around with it, I keep it at 4.6Ghz for daily use. I have had it up to 5.11Ghz for benching. I'm getting the 6350 just for the same thing, playing around.

Agreed, unless you plan on getting better cooling I'd be surprised if you can get a Fx 6300 above 4.5-4.6 for 24/7 clocks. If you're just looking to push to extremes on Air ditch Prime and just see what benches you can run the Fx 4k at.
I don't worry too much about prime. I run it for about 20 min. & if it passes it's good.

Well forgettng about P95 is okay for some things and not for others. I do windows cut-downs and a good bit of editting of videos that I take. I found that if I was not pretty 'darn' stable at my 4.7Ghz editting speeds that I could lose hours of work where I had gone in and added sounds, text and fades to a long video.

Then I noticed problems making the ISO in Win 7 cut-downs and made sure of my stability once again and no more issues with making the ISO in cutting down Win 7 installs.

I do not mind so much that I am not p95 blend stable at 5.5Ghz since my cpu is not running at -40c or less, but I have gotten pretty sensitive about losing a ton of my time working something up and instability kicks me square in the teeth. Strokes for folks.
RGone...ster.

Well forgettng about P95 is okay for some things and not for others. I do windows cut-downs and a good bit of editting of videos that I take. I found that if I was not pretty 'darn' stable at my 4.7Ghz editting speeds that I could lose hours of work where I had gone in and added sounds, text and fades to a long video.

Then I noticed problems making the ISO in Win 7 cut-downs and made sure of my stability once again and no more issues with making the ISO in cutting down Win 7 installs.

I do not mind so much that I am not p95 blend stable at 5.5Ghz since my cpu is not running at -40c or less, but I have gotten pretty sensitive about losing a ton of my time working something up and instability kicks me square in the teeth. Strokes for folks.
RGone...ster.
Good points RGone, I don't really do anything that's stressing my computer that much. I'm not a gamer & about the only thing that would come close is benching. I just play around with the high clocks & Vcores.
Dan

Back