• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Weird LG TV No Signal Issue

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

McGrace

Hey all,

I got a LG UHD TV on Black Friday, and it has been fine. It upgraded another LG I had connected to my main rig with an HDMI cable to my bedroom. Everything with the old TV worked fine. When I swapped in the new one, seemed fine. Then there were some video quirks that went away. Then the HDMI port would not recognize it at all. So I went to another port. No prob. Week later, same issue. Went to third port. No prob again. Week later, same issue. Went back to the first port, no problem now.

So it does not sound like the ports themselves are a hardware issue. If I unplug it and connect it to the same port when it has the issue, it will not work. But when another port has the issue, the other ports work again. I have done some Google-Fu and it seems it may be an issue with Windows 10 and newer LG TVs, but there is no clear information or concensus.

Does anyone else have an issue like this? Solutions?

I do not want to spend time and effort returning a TV when swapping it would end up with the same error.

(Video card drivers all up to date. No drivers available for the TV. TV Firmware up to date. Video card is a GeForce 1050. )

TIA,

DB

Did you try another HDMI cable? How long is the current one? Was the old TV UHD? Doing some quick googling myself, there's no explicit HDMI max length (some sources say 15', others say 45', but then there are HDMI cables 50'+). I'm wondering if trying to pump 4k over the current cable is right at the edge of where it's stable and is somehow "unsyncing".

It is a 50 foot cable, and I think you may be onto it. It worked fine at HD 1080p. But cranking it up to 4k, if it is near it's capacity then it may just be wigging out. That may be the best explanation for the other issues I am getting.

The setup is that I have my development computer really beefed up in the room attached to the bedroom. The rig has an extremely expensive HDMI routed through the walls to the TV (installed when I built the place) and DVI to the main monitor. I share screens on them so the wife can be on her computer checking emails or whatever while watching whatever. (Obviously, this makes that part above my decision making level) When we turn off the main monitor, the TV often freezes. Then I just toggle out of fullscreen then back into fullscreen and it is back to normal.

A cable that may be able to almost handle the throughput sounds like a good cause. I imagine when the OS communicated additional info to the TV, it basically overflows the line and everything sort of goes off the tracks.

I can't replace the 50 foot cable. But I can move my desk to the other corner of the room and connect it to the TV with a significantly longer cord (the 50 foot is needed to go inside the wall, then all the way around the inside of the wall as opposed to a direct run to the TV).

Such a specialized, never to be seen again issue.

Thanks!

DB

Back