• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Weird things happening with my LGA775 Prescott

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Cruel123

Registered
Well .. erm .. this is very strange .. I have an LGA775 Prescott on an MSI 915P/G Combo board. While I look in CPU-Z The multiplier keeps changing back and forth from x14 to x16 .. here's a screenshot..

dsfsdf1hb.jpg

As you can see it's at x16 multi .. then

gsdfsg24sj.jpg

x14?! My voltage is all over the place as well .. spazzing all the way down to 1.28 all the way up to 1.42 .. what's going on?!

Here's my Motherboard for reference

mb7jz.jpg

Any help is appreciated =]

Also here are my specs:

Intel Penitum 4 LGA775 Prescott
MSI 915P/G Combo Board LGA775
2GB OCZ Gold2 pc4200 533mhz DDR2
x800XL 256mb PCI-E

Ahh thanks .. was kind of scared .. now onto another question .. I've been having a problem overclocking this beast .. It will go up to just about 3.6 on stock volts .. but no matter how high i put the voltage on both the memory and the processor it won't go ANY higher .. PCI is locked at 33.3 .. everything seems fine .. it just won't post at anything higher than 3.6

:welcome: to the forums.

915 based chipsets are very hard to pinpoint at which level they will overclock to. The PCI-E lock doesn't really work. Some will not get to 215, some (rarely) can get to 240. It varies so wildly. In general, the 915 chipset is not a great one to overclock with.

Know Nuttin said:
:welcome: to the forums.

915 based chipsets are very hard to pinpoint at which level they will overclock to. The PCI-E lock doesn't really work. Some will not get to 215, some (rarely) can get to 240. It varies so wildly. In general, the 915 chipset is not a great one to overclock with.

Ah .. so pretty much I need a new motherboard? Any suggestions?

:welcome: to OC Forums!

If you could, could you post your system specs in your sig so we could see what all you are using. It really helps when asking questions, as we can give you a response tailored precisely to what you are running.

I would list your mobo, type of HSF/Fan, CPU and OC, RAM (brand, speed, and timing), Graphics Card (Brand, Type, and OC), Drives and RAID config if applicable, and PSU (brand, model number and wattage).

It looks like you have a pretty good OC going there, but I wouldn't hazard giving you any information without complete system specs, as I might give you information that does not apply to your specific setup. You'll find that we don't guess on here very much. OCF members pride themselves on giving complete and correct info, and if something is wrong we endeavor to correct it.

Again, Welcome to OC Forums! You have found THE source for the best OC'ing and General Computing on the Planet! :cool:

Ok everything is in my signature now..

So for maybe like 100-150 bucks how can I make this a nice overclocker? With a better chipset will I get a good clock with my fan I have now?

:welcome:

Lots of peeps really like The Asus P5WD2 - Prem, & you'll definitely have plenty of headroom, but it is higher priced than ur stated budget

I suppose that the Abit AA8 would be a good, somewhat less expensive choice, since ur 540 isn't likely to hit much over 4.0 -4.2, or so, stable on air, anyway, which just happens to be 250 - 260 FSB on ur proc. But you won't have any upgrade path.

So, I guess it would come down to if you'd like an upgrade path to the soon to be released Presler/Ceder Mill procs, or would simply like to maximize ur $$$ ATM, and not worry about a near term upgrade.

Since Presler/Cedar Mill will be superceded in 2H '06, anyway, you may not want to invest in more than you need, ATM.

Strat

Last edited:
Thanks a lot for the help .. I'll see what I can do about a motherboard .. 200 is a lot for a motherboard .. heh .. well anyway I know this is the wrong forum for this question .. would you mind answering it?

"What temps should my XL be running at? Suddenly my frames have gone wayyyy down .. (from 120 constant in source to 40) and i'm trying to pinpoint the problem .. not processor overheating .. have 2 gigs of ram .. thinking its the video card overheating .. so in the heat up thing on ati-tool it gets to about 80C max .. and what's interesting is the FPS on the heatup phaze jump around .. like they stay at 250 for a second and will go to 190 and back up .. Anyone think this is my problem?"

hUMANbEATbOX said:
strat, while the as8 is nice, he's already got a pci-e card listed in his sig.
Ooops...typo! :rolleyes:

AA8!

Thx.

Strat

<EDIT>

Arghh...he's got DDR-II, also,...make it Abit's AA8 @ ~140 U$D

Don't worry, Cruel123, I'll keep you confused! :bang head

Last edited:
Hah .. btw do you have any answer on my other question? really bothering me atm

Also .. should I get the regular AA8 , Fatality , or 3rd eye.. I know fatality you're really paying for the name but I don't know what the "3rd eye" version really is..

Cruel123 said:
Hah .. btw do you have any answer on my other question? really bothering me atm
heh...been a long nite...

Actually, no I can't directly answer ur question, except to say that my ATI 9600XT in my sig idles @ 30*C, and loads up to ~45 - 50*C, under 3DMark.

I never paid gfx card temps much attention, since I've never had any probs, tho 80*C does seem high to me. Best to see if someone-in-the-know comes by, or post this question in the "Video & Sound"/"ATI" section of the forums. I'm not qualified to answer the max temp question, & don't want to lead you astray.

Guess I'm one of the few around here that doesn't game on my comp.

GL,

Strat

about your frames in source, a few ppl have complained about dropping frames, but to be honest, i would look at your windows install and your driver revisions.

also, not to be rude, but there is no way you ever got 120fps constant. not even an fx57 at 3.4ghz and 7800gtx's in SLI will do 120fps constant. source and all games based off of it are very cpu limited.

on the other hand, 80c seems quite high. have you overclocked? i would start by taking the card out, and completely ridding it of all dust...while you are at it, check your case ventilation, make sure all wires are neatly tucked away.

hUMANbEATbOX said:
about your frames in source, a few ppl have complained about dropping frames, but to be honest, i would look at your windows install and your driver revisions.

also, not to be rude, but there is no way you ever got 120fps constant. not even an fx57 at 3.4ghz and 7800gtx's in SLI will do 120fps constant. source and all games based off of it are very cpu limited.

on the other hand, 80c seems quite high. have you overclocked? i would start by taking the card out, and completely ridding it of all dust...while you are at it, check your case ventilation, make sure all wires are neatly tucked away.

I have done the max core and max mem in ATI-TOOL .. but that's about it .. i think ill take it out and do that .. how bout remounting the heatsink? BTW I posted in the video section if you want to take it over there.

Want a trick for 267fsb with that rig? Set you ram to boot at 200mhz then boot it at 267mhz you will probably need to increase your voltage some but it will help your FSB get to a respectable level. Otherwise the best upgrade for your money is an Abit aa8w max and an artic cooling silencer for your Video card.

speed bump said:
Want a trick for 267fsb with that rig? Set you ram to boot at 200mhz then boot it at 267mhz you will probably need to increase your voltage some but it will help your FSB get to a respectable level. Otherwise the best upgrade for your money is an Abit aa8w max and an artic cooling silencer for your Video card.

How bad will that affect my memory performance .. and I can only go to 400 mhz or 533 with my memory .. then it overclocks with the FSB as I go up

Back